Placement help-Science

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Juli

Placement help-Science

Post by Juli » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:12 pm

I am needing some help figuring out the best science path for my dd and would love to hear from anyone with High School wisdom.

Background: She is in 9th grade using the Mission to Marvels guide with extensions and added electives. We chose to do this particular guide because although we have used HOD all the way through (and she places in 9th according to the placement chart), we got behind a guide after the birth of a baby; yet my history nut, HOD loving daughter didn't want to miss out on this guide :D , so we chose to go with this guide rather than skip it. Last year we used Apologia Physical Science and she did very well. I live in Texas and Science is flexible as long as labs are included.

This year, my plan was to do Apologia Biology I, but I am second guessing that decision. We started down that path for several reasons 1) We have always used Apologia and enjoyed it (particularly in Elementary; Physical Science was good, but a bit more time consuming than I would have liked) 2) We already had the book-silly reason I know, but we have many kids and limited funds (however we still need to by lab stuff) :wink: 3) I have a friend who is a science whiz and is willing to do the labs, answer questions, give explanations, etc. with her once a week. This is a very unique and valuable resource for us.

At this point however, I'm just not sure this is the best path and would love some advice. My concerns are as follows: 1) Although my dd has interest in Science, it is not her main interest and Apologia Biology is taking a disproportionate amount of time. 2)I am not sure how much she will retain with so much information-this is my main concern. Why do it if you don't remember it? 3)I do not want to kill any interest in Science she has because it is overwhelming.

I am open to any suggestions: Stay the course we set out with modifications to make it better/switch curriculum/I am not even set on Biology. I am looking for a good fit for my dd that is within our budget.
*It also is hard for me to purchase another HOD guide at this point in addition to a different Science curriculum to do the Science as it would be used for just 1 class and I usually get the package deal when I buy HOD to help off set the cost. (I own all HOD guides through MtoM)

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Sincerely,
Juli Garner

my3sons

Re: Placement help-Science

Post by my3sons » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi Juli! I can see that there are many things to weigh in this decision. My oldest ds is not interested in a science field after graduation, and I have to say we have BOTH loved the science he did both in MTMM and WG. In fact, he said his WG was his favorite year (though I've noticed his 'favorite year' of science is often the one he just did :wink: ). As a busy mom, I was absolutely beyond thankful that he could do it independently in our home. For me, leaving the home to drop him off somewhere else to be with someone else on someone else's time schedule is less of a help to me than him just being able to do science within the comfort of our own home independently. However, I know some people our energized instead of stressed out and tired out by this option - so this could just be me and my current stage of life and level of energy! :D :D :D So, you'll have to weigh this option based on your life and how you feel right now. :wink:

In this thread, Carrie explains some ideas for simply using the science in MTMM and beefing it up in some easy ways for high school credit...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10600

In this thread, Carrie mentions doing MTMM for 9th grade, but using the WG guide for the science portion...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13362

Perhaps if you simply used your MTMM science plans (which you already own the guide for) and had your friend do the 'extra' suggested resource 1 x week of Ellen McHenry's book, maybe that would be a happy medium? But then I have this little voice in my head saying I'd personally STILL rather just have my ds do it all in our own home on our own time schedule. :lol: Otherwise, the WG science might be a great option. :lol: What are your thoughts?

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Juli

Post by Juli » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:49 pm

Julie,
My thoughts...
1)Thank you so much for your input :) It is great to get another perspective and to have someone to knock things around with.
2)Somethings I failed to mention: (1)I purchased all of the science resources from the MTMM guide except the 2 lab kits (and I already owned the Tiner book). (2) The Apologia class with my friend would only be labs & lecture on anything that my daughter would be struggling with. Benefits would be that it would give her a learning environment with a 3 other kids AND I wouldn't have to purchase lab stuff. She would do all of the rest of the class at home.
3)I'm not sure that my daughter is ready for High School Chemistry. She has always been able to do anything I have given her however, I don't want to make her miserable with something that is too much of a stretch.
4)I see and agree with your point about the outside the home stuff. I am definitely not crazy about having something else outside the home to go do (we already do sports), but willing to consider it if it is for a good reason. Such as helping her grasp concepts and learning in a group setting that is small and positive.
5) If we don't do the Chemistry or the Apologia, I am not sure what science would be a good fit for her. She just completed the Apologia Physical Science course. Would it be too redundant to do the HOD recommended IPC course? I am just not familiar with what that course covers? Also how necessary/beneficial is it to go ahead and by the next guide to do the IPC course if that is what we go with (as I stated before, I plan on buying it as a package deal next year)

Again thank you so much for your thoughts! HOD curriculum continues to be such a blessing to my family, and having access to this board when we run into a snag is just the cherry on top!

Juli

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:18 pm

Hi Juli! :D I enjoyed visiting with you on the phone, and IPC in WG for science is going to be a super year for your dd! I just thought I'd mention it here for others who may be in similar situations who may find your decision helpful to them too. God bless!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

Juli

Post by Juli » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:02 pm

Julie,

I'm so excited and at peace with this decision. I think it will be the best fit for my dd.

Thank you so much for following up on my post! I just logged on to do that myself...but since you have done it for me, I will take this opportunity to thank you.

I don't know of any other curriculum out there that has the customer service HOD has. Not only has HOD curriculum been a great blessing to my family for MANY years of homeschooling but, your family has been as well. It is an added blessing to know that your family will be at my local Homeschool convention each year to personally answer my questions as I am making choices for the upcoming school year and through out the year on this forum. It is obvious that you all are not just peddling curriculum, but truly care about your customers and strive to help them to have a successful homeschool.

Also, I would be remiss to mention the community members on this forum....it is great to have a group of other homeschooling moms to share successes, struggles, and knock ideas around with!

Juli

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:30 pm

Thanks so much, Juli! :D :D :D It is our hearts greatest desire to serve the Lord through Heart of Dakota, and getting to know lovely ladies such as yourself is an incredible blessing and encouragement to Mike, Carrie, me, and all of our sons working for HOD. I try to print off words of encouragement and share them with whomever they are in regard to. Their eyes usually light up at the inspiration! It takes time and effort to do this, and I just wanted you to know that it is so appreciated. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie