I don't know what to do - math is HARD!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ckhunt

I don't know what to do - math is HARD!

Post by ckhunt » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:11 pm

Today was our 1st day of using HOD. My 10 yr old is in Bigger Hearts for Glory. Overall everything went well she loves the hands on and short lessons.

BUT math is a challenge. I have not ordered a curriculum. I just can't pick one. We tried Math U See and Right Start. She doesn't want to watch a video lesson. She hates worksheets but if I give her a game she will play! Today I reviewed subtraction facts by jumping out the answer on the trampoline. I'm o.k. with doing some games I make up on my own but as a new homeschooler I'd like a lesson plan to follow so I know we are covering material needed and keeping me on task.

How is Singapore Math? Is it hands on? Short lessons?

Thanks.
Kristie

StephanieU

Re: I don't know what to do - math is HARD!

Post by StephanieU » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:16 pm

The way HOD does math, the lessons are fairly short. Of course it does depend on the level, but you are probably looking at 20-35 minutes for math using Singapore (above the K level).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:02 pm

I have used both RightStart and Singapore. I think Singapore is much like RightStart in a lot of ways except that it is way less scripted and there is a text book. There are still worksheets but the lessons are short. I would say RightStart and Singapore probably took us a similar amount of time in the lower levels. But in the higher levels, the lessons took more time with RightStart.

One thing I do really like about Singapore (just like with RightStart) is that it teaches understanding.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:14 pm

Through 2B level in Singapore (which I am guessing your 10 year old might be beyond that level) there is hands on stuff written into the guides. I think 2A/2B hands on plans are in the Bigger guide. But 3A and up you use the textbooks and workbooks and while it would be pretty easy to make hands-on things with some of the workbook explanations, it's not really written for you. Now, there are Home Instructor Guides and Singapore does sell manipulatives. You could also look through your Bigger guide and take some of the activities from there, just adapting them for the more difficult concepts in the higher levels of Singapore. That's still more work for you than just a boxed curriculum using it straight out the way it is planned but maybe helpful.

My husband interacts with the kids a lot with their math, makes them apply it and makes it fun for them. They love it. I am guessing this is the kind of thing that would help your DD love math too. He checks over their work and then comes up with other ways to help them apply what they are learning in each lesson. But they do sit and do the workbooks and things too. I appreciate HODs hands-on approach I do think it helps them learn to enjoy math and get the concepts.

Some of the lessons in 3A/3B do get kind of long. Maybe if you made math a more interactive subject for a while that would help? Make sure you are sitting and doing it with her and encouraging her? Make it active if you can, but I bet even if you can't, just you doing it with her will help her to enjoy it a lot more. Singapore is pretty interactive. It's not just sit and crank out 30 problems that all have the same method to them. Again, up until 3A/3B we have not found it to take very long at all to get through each day. 20 minutes or less.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

ckhunt

Post by ckhunt » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:06 pm

I should have mentioned she is behind in math. We left public school after 3rd grade. She was struggling with basic math facts, telling time, and money. She is now telling time, becoming more fluent in her facts, and can count mixed change (that was a challenge).

Looking at the placement tests she is either 1B or 2A? So it would be hands on it sounds for her.

Kristie

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Aha, I should have figured that out from what you said about doing subtraction facts. I didn't put 2+2 together. My daughter is in 1B and the hands-on activities really do help a lot and make it fun. She is a few weeks from finished and they are beginning having her add and subtract 2 digit & 2 digit numbers (with manipulatives, starting to do carry and borrow). It has been a great growing year for her in math. The hands-on plans for 1A/1B are in the Beyond guide, do you happen to have that guide?
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

ckhunt

Post by ckhunt » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:07 am

No, I have Little Hearts for Glory.

Is it okay not to give the placement test? She has such anxiety and I just looked at the placement tests and can tell where she falls in it. It appears 1B would be the best fit for her.

Right now I am having her use Reflex Math which she likes to work on math facts in addition and subtraction. We are also reinforcing time/money on our own just playing grocery store and I often ask her throughout the day what time is it.

I've been trying to squeeze math between history and science her favorite subjects. Part of the dilemma is she is losing confidence especially around kids in public school who she knows are doing more advanced math. :-( But I tell her she is on her own pace not a school schedule.

My goals are to build confidence and try to make math real to her. :-)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:33 am

Why don't you start her in 1A and let her go at her own pace? That might build her confidence going forward. I've done that occasionally with my girls, even though math is their strong suit, just for that reason. They love doing the math that they know and understand easily as fast as they can/want to. You can also use the hands on stuff to really cement the lessons.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:33 am

If you know where she places, I would just place her there. And if she knows her math facts well for addition and subtraction, then she might test a little bit higher. I have used levels 1b through 4b. I would think with your dd, can do double digit addition or double digit subtraction? If so, then she probably would place in level 2 at least.

I am not sure if other moms can weight in here but I would probably start doubling up on lessons when you can so that it can help her move faster up through the lessons. In addition, with Singapore, it teaches understanding. It is lot less about memorization. My youngest actually completed level 1b and 2a over the summer on her own because of how well it explains things. She had never seen subtraction or multiplication before this time. But she totally understood and was able to complete the books alone.

I know your dd hates math. But I would encourage you to try some tough love. I am sure with everything you give her at this point she is probably going to be resistant. But I would try and think of ways to reward hard work and perseverance. I think her anxiety is going to be an issue when you start no matter what.

I will pray for you though. that is really tough. And the good thing is, even with starting Singapore now, you have plenty of time if you can teach understanding because you still have about 4-5 years before she starts high school.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

kidsforHim

Post by kidsforHim » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:05 am

I agree, get her confidence back up, but I wouldn't push. When they don't know, they DON'T KNOW & it just adds more pressure to the pressure they already feel inside themselves because they aren't "performing" at their grade level. Start her out in lower if needed. It's ok! Like you've tried to explain to her, that's her level where she's at & it's alright. I've been there. Just to see the light back in their face because they can do it is worth the 'back tracking'. Singapore didn't work for us, but I like the activities they do in the guide. We went with CLE Math. They do have placement tests & my dd could've started further into the grade but I chose to let her do the first light unit. It basically was review for her but SHE LIKED TO DO MATH AGAIN, she could DO this. She still gets a bit anxiety with something new, but the lesson always reviews so she is able to go forward with confidence. There is always something fun she likes to do in the lesson or she knows the answers. The flashcard system is amazing & has always been enjoyed by all my children including this DD. I was a bit concerned how she would do, but it's going good. It doesn't feel a bit like drill, drill, drill. Anyways, that's beside the point. Just saying that getting that confidence back again is a big step toward going forward, however fast OR slow that may be. Cheering you on!
Becky

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:37 pm

We have the first three Life of Fred books and use them as a supplement. So I read through them with my kids but don't make them work the problems. But maybe she would like that as a review or reinforcement? A friend of mine uses it with a daughter who is very relational and therefore doesn't like boring math books that just focus on facts or problems. Life of Fred is a story that has math in it. Also while there is a progression of the books there isn't really a "level" of them since they are kind of like storybooks. Just an idea. I'd say start with 1B if you think that's where she places and go through them as quickly as you can without a lot of frustration. Maybe two lessons but two separate times of day? She will move more quickly through Singapore, they don't spend as long on each concept either, as mentioned, it's about understanding concepts, not necessarily mastery at each level but more exposure and understanding. I highly recommend the Beyond guide with the hands-on activities to help supplement though. Too bad you don't already have it.
Melissa

DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:39 pm

It sounds like dd places in 1B, so that would be a good place to start. You have 2 good options for teaching 1B. You could get the Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory manual and use that to teach the hands-on plans, knowing you'll use it next year anyway when your other child moves from doing LHFHG to Beyond. (You can let HOD know you go the Beyond guide from them already when you go to order the rest of the Beyond Economy Package next year, and they will credit back your savings.) Or, you could get the 1B textbook to teach the lessons, and have her do the 1A Workbook after you teach them. You sound quite creative and fun - BTW! :D I bet your dd loved the trampoline idea! :D So, you could add elements like this to your teaching by looking at the hands-on math plans that are already included in your Bigger Hearts Math Exploration box, as well as the hands-on plans in your Little Hearts for His Glory that you also own. Between these 2 guides, you'll have some good ideas for how to go about doing a hands-on math component for 1B. Then, when dd begins 2A, I'd follow the Bigger Heart's hands-on plans. You are wise to make math 'fun' and a 'no pressure zone.' I'd look at this as a partnering with your dd year. Jump in (no pun intended :D ) and help whenever needed. Work the problems with her and make it fun! Add a snack or treat component or hot cocoa or tea to your math time together. I think she'll come along and gradually learn to enjoy math! HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie