New to HOD advice on placement/questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ckhunt

Re: New to HOD advice on placement/questions

Post by ckhunt » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:52 am

We did a full 19 battery of nueropsychological testing and it cost $3k. We also spent $500 before we moved out of state on learning disability testing as well as testing in the public school. We were told she has a learning style not a disability. Sigh. I'm not sure we can keep paying $$$ and they find nothing. So frustrating!! Her current psychologist thinks it could be the sensory processing of her Aspergers which is not visible on any test.

I know we need to stick with something and we put aside curriculum for awhile to just play games. We had used Life of Fred to get her to even like math. Sadly, her frustration reached a point that getting her to do math was difficult. So we played a lot of games but we need to push into a more structured approach for her math.

I knew taking on homeschooling would be a challenge with her. I'm trying to be patient and just take 1 day at a time. I just knew what is going to work for her.

I'm wondering if computer based math curriculum would be good for her. She really likes to see her math!

Please keep us in your prayers.

Kristie

kidsforHim

Post by kidsforHim » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:12 pm

Kristie,
I feel your frustration and maybe desperation. Asking God to give you wisdom & direction. We have a soon to be 8yr old DD who has some kind of learning problem when it comes to math. Though she has not been tested, we were told by a friend, who has dyslexia, that it sounds like that is her problem, only not with mixing up words & such, it shows up in math. She just could not get math facts. The next day or even that same day, she could not remember & would act like she never learned it. We too tried several math curriculum, & probably would have been told, Whoa! stay with one and THEN see. Well, we did 'stay with one' until we hit a block & then we would let it rest a week and come back. Sometimes we made progress sometimes not. We kept trying but we could sense after awhile, that it was not working! So we would try another. I knew my child & though we were changing curriculums often, we knew when we hit dead end. This child is our 4th & this problem really threw me. Well, our first 3(boys) had done CLE math ( Christian Light Education). For whatever reason I just did not want to do it again but I felt God was telling me to try. What else could I do, we had already tried so many & while they were different, they still all seemed to teach facts in bunches. This is embarrasing to say how many we actually did try, but we tried math mammoth, ACE, christian liberty, math u see and just doing our own thing with real life situations- 3 of the family stayed home, how many went to town? 3 so, 3+3=6 etc. I finally got CLE and we've made progress ever since. Slow, but progress. We only got through half of first grade but she scored Average when she took SAT test(which was actually the 2nd grade test because the school didn't catch I had put her down as 1st grade) CLE is an advanced curriculum so that was in our favour. My plan is to then put her in teaching textbooks when she reaches the 3 grade level as that is when TT currently starts. The boys are using TT & they have scored average or above average. Some don't like it but it woks for us & for ME. (By the way, I am not promoting CLE OR Teaching Textbooks! It is just what has worked for US.)

Maybe none of this even pertains to you or was helpful but just wanted to give our experience and to say that God does care and can direct us in schooling our children. Just like you said, "One day at a time".

Becky

kidsforHim

Post by kidsforHim » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:50 pm

Also, math U see was the one that really got things 'clicking & sticking' and perhaps helped her over the hump. I just felt God's thumb in my back so to speak to do CLE so we did get that & it is our main math, using the blocks from math u see on occasion when she has trouble.

ckhunt

Post by ckhunt » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Thank you Becky for your thoughts and kind words. I may not have the answer today, but I know that with love and faith we'll get through it. My husband says I'm too hard on myself and to focus on the positives and the success we have made each day. For instance, she finally understands time!

Dyscalculia is very real and there are organizations for it. Perhaps, I can call them to seek advice. Even if that is not her issue their ideas might benefit someone who struggles with math.

While she may struggle with math, she loves reading, history and science. She is a talented artist too!

It breaks my heart though when I see her frustrated and tells me "I'm sorry mom I guess I'm just too dumb for math." :-( One day I was almost in tears and so we closed the math books and went outside and looked for birds. At least at home, she has unconditional love and support. I just need to be patient and surround myself with others who will lift me up when needed. So thank you again for lifting me up in your words. :-)

Kristie

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:16 pm

I am happy to pray for you. That is so frustrating. My two oldest have some special learning needs as well and it can make curriculum difficult. Praying for you.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:43 pm

:( That is really sad and disheartening that she also takes it to heart and feels she is "too dumb." You're right, it is great that you have her at home to give her love and support, and also to find something that will help her as much as possible to move forward. You have the freedom (as budget allows) to try different things and see what happens with them. I also will pray, I have seen God give me great wisdom when I have needed it and He has blessed me and my children through it.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

ckhunt

Post by ckhunt » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:55 am

Thanks Melissa. I try to always review with what she does know to maintain her confidence. I can't imagine how she felt in public school. Her teacher did try but they should have pulled her out but she did not qualify for additional support. It was one of the major factors bringing her home. But I found so many other reasons to homeschool her. She is adapting to homeschool and secretly I think she wants to go back to public school - well just to take art classes, lunch, recess and library. But I just haven't found curriculum that is interesting and fun. So I hope HOD is it for her!!