Singapore 3A & 4A

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jenchampion

Singapore 3A & 4A

Post by jenchampion » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:07 pm

My 3rd grade DD is in 3A, and 5th grade son is in 4A (he did 3A last year). He is just math minded, so 3A last year was no problem. We just started our new school year last week, so the year has just begun. She has been doing well.......but we just got to addition and subtraction, sum and difference......and it seems like the textbook (and HIG either for that matter) does not really "teach" this......I mean, she knows the basic 4+7, 8-5, etc.....but on textbook page 19, it says, "The sum of 90 and 54 is..... The difference between 90 and 54 is..... But it doesn't really show or tell HOW to teach that. I see the blocks and such. Is it just me?????
And also, in 4A, on factors and common factors.....I feel like I am not adequately teaching it. Like the book is missing a little bit in teaching it. I don't know how to explain it, but I just feel like there should be a little bit more detail, maybe....??