Samples of Child's Work In Bigger?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
wisdom4us

Samples of Child's Work In Bigger?

Post by wisdom4us » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:57 am

Does anyone have any samples of their child's work for Bigger Hearts that they would like to share? I'm reading over my TM today and feeling a little overwhelmed at the notebooking, etc. part of it. :shock: Though this is what I want for our children, I just need to see it. LOL! I guess I just need to "see" that I can do this. Oh, yea of little faith!!!! :lol:
~Summer
Using LHFHG & BHFHG 2008-2009
http://wisdom4us.homeschooljournal.net/

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
~William Butler Yeats

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:28 am

You may want to visit the weekly check-in thread. I feel sure you'll find some samples there....I think Julie did Bigger...this year.

granolamom6

Post by granolamom6 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi Summer!

We are using Bigger and one of the things I especially love about it is the Notebooking! I love how Carrie provides very specific instructions for the pages. My kids appreciate it, too. In the past, when I tried to have the kids do notebook pages, I expected WAY too much from them, and I did not give them very specific directions. I was expecting them to be way more creative on their own.

Here are three notebooking pages my kids have done. The first one is a science notebook page by my 10 yo dd and the last two are by my 12 yo ds. One page is a science notebook page and the other is for history. I hope this helps you!

Image[/img]
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:07 pm

Oh! I can't wait to start Bigger...in matter of weeks. I get a thrill of excitement just looking at those notebook pages...thanks for posting them!

we6rblessed

Post by we6rblessed » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:26 pm

Thank you for the beautiful, and encouraging post!
Great job!!

~Linda

wisdom4us

Post by wisdom4us » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:58 pm

Christa,
Thank you so much for showing off your dc's beautiful notebooking!!! They did a GREAT job. You must be so proud and they should be proud of themselves too. :D

I did not realize Carrie gave such detailed instructions, I'll have to read through the lesson plans now. I just read the introductory pages in the front of the TM.

I guess I'm still a little nervous as our DS will only be in 2nd grade and 7.5-8 when we do Bigger. I've contemplated waiting but I think it's just MY fear that is making me think that way. :roll: :P He's probably going to really enjoy showing off his work on paper!!!

Oh, we are in Florida too! N. Central Florida. 8)
~Summer

~William Butler Yeats

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:15 am

Summer,

Here's a link to another thread, where MamaMary shows a sample from her son's notebook from "Bigger...".

http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=654

You'll be surprised, Summer, how much your little one will come along throughout the year in this area! We give exact directions, so there's nothing to come up with on your own. It is a wonderful way for kids to cement the concepts they're learning in history and in science (and also a beautiful portfolio to keep or to turn in for state standards). :D

By the way Christa, your kiddos are doing a beautiful job with their notebooks! Thanks so much for sharing! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

granolamom6

Post by granolamom6 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:58 am

Aww, :lol: you all are so sweet! Thanks for saying such nice things about my kids' notebook pages. :D

But the beauty of the program is that the instructions are so clear, it really makes it easy for the kids to create great notebook pages! Thank YOU, Carrie!

Summer, we live in the Tampa Bay area.... Go Rays!!!
Christa, wife to Sonnie since '93

ds- 13
dd - 10
dd - 7
dd - 4 — LHTH
And another blessing due in March '09.

Visit my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/granolamom6/

clmartz01

Post by clmartz01 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:38 pm

granolamom6 wrote:Hi Summer!

We are using Bigger and one of the things I especially love about it is the Notebooking! I love how Carrie provides very specific instructions for the pages. My kids appreciate it, too. In the past, when I tried to have the kids do notebook pages, I expected WAY too much from them, and I did not give them very specific directions. I was expecting them to be way more creative on their own.

Here are three notebooking pages my kids have done. The first one is a science notebook page by my 10 yo dd and the last two are by my 12 yo ds. One page is a science notebook page and the other is for history. I hope this helps you!

Image[/img]
That was precious! Seeing posts like this make me very excited to get started!!
~Crystal
Mom to: Madison (6 1/2), Alex (5) and Zack (1)

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:37 pm

I do need to update but on my blog under HOD you see some of my daughter's Bigger work. I plan was to do Bigger for the summer but it didn't happen. We will pick it back up this fall.
I have recently went thru Bigger and typed up pages for all the notebooking and typed out some of the verses. Some she will have to write. My header says Bigger Unit ___ Day___ then the title of the book and also says science on it
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:46 pm

What a GREAT thread!

Christa, I loved the pictures and was going to reply and realized it was YOU! I love those pics? Did you blog them?

Carrie and Summer, I found some more;-)

Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:05 pm

Ooh, Mama Mary! These are such fun pictures too! 8)

You girls have such talented kiddos! What beautiful work they're doing. Those will be keepsake notebooks! :D

Thanks for sharing! :D When I get done with Preparing, I'll move this thread into the archived folder for Bigger, so other moms can see inside the notebooks too!

Blessings,
Carrie

wisdom4us

Post by wisdom4us » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:44 am

Thank you ladies for your sharing you dc's beautiful work!!! I am excited to get started now!!!

Carrie,
You made the notebooking not so intimidating for me with your detail instructions! I was able to read through my lesson plans some yesterday.

I have been wanting to do notebooking with my dc but didn't know exactly how to get started or if they would be able to do it where you could "actually" tell what they are learning. Now with the samples I've seen and Carrie's instructions, I am confident that we will be able to do this and have FUN while doing it. :lol:

Thank you so much!!!! :D
~Summer

~William Butler Yeats

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:40 am

thank you for this thread

I am so anxious this morning as I am sitting with my Bigger and LHFHG TMs trying to figure out how to do it all each day with two other kids. At this point it looks as if my girls will be 100% ignored for the better part of next year. :cry:

These are nice to look at and are exactly how I was picturing them mentally. Thank you.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:17 am

momof2n2

I was nervous about starting too, and having my 2yr old ds left out of everything. But that didn't happen at all. He joins in on some of the stuff. If dd has a painting project, then he paints. Her project today was making tin foil boats and putting weights in them to see if they sunk or not. He had fun putting in some of the weights too. He is almost always at the table with us, even if he is doing something different, playing with play-doh or coloring, using stickers etc. He loves to sit with us for story time. He joins in on the rhymes in motion. Only once in a while does he go off to play by himself....which is not a bad thing either.

I just want to encourage you that there is a lot that the younger ones can join in on. They won't be nearly as left out as you might think.

Phil. 4:6-7
Be anxious for nothing, but in every thing by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10