Starting Bigger soon

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jodi

Starting Bigger soon

Post by Jodi » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:29 pm

Hi, I've just ordered and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Jodi and I have 4 children, 3 boys and a girl ages 9,10,12 and 14. We have homeschooled all along and I would say we're very eclectic.

I was going to order Preparing but after looking at the website and placement chart I realized my "little boys" recently turned 9 and 10 yo's... not SO little but all the same my little boys :D fit better into Bigger. They are emerging readers not fluent yet. I would like to have a run through US history before going into world history anyway. Later in the fall or winter we'll move into Preparing and my 12 yo dd and 14 yo special needs boy can join us with the extensions. After looking at the samples I feel sure the older kids will enjoy the readings and projects from Bigger too. We happen to be using the One Small Square series as part of our science this year so that was another selling point!

We have some other curriculum as well and some of the kids will have some classes through a one day a week co-op.

I felt very intriuged by this HOD products glad to have something in our pile of curriculum especially meant for my younger guys since lately I seemed to be leaning more towards things which fit the olders better.

We're glad to join you all on this HOD adventure.
Jodi

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:07 pm

Jodi,

Just wanted to say welcome! We will be starting LHFHG this fall and are very excited!
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:39 am

Welcome to HOD, Jodi! I just finished BLHFHG with my dd and we will be using Bigger..next with her ( 8 ) and my ds (10) in the fall (with extensions for ds). We also have LHTH for my ds (5) and are using it as K. My older son could have begun with Preparing...but we (I) wanted to do American History, as well as keep them together, so we are really looking forward to our new school year. I feel sure you will be glad you've chosen HOD for your homeschool texts. Hope to 'see' you around. :wink:

Jodi

Post by Jodi » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks for the welcome! I got my catalog today and can pour over that while I wait for my order. I know the holiday weekend might slow it down a bit.

I love the way the HOD books are laid out. We are kinda busy with a 1 day a week co-op and also girl scouts and cub scouts but it looks so easy to stay on track with the HOD guide.

I don't have many curriculum favorites, maybe half a dozen ever but I have a strong feeling this will make it onto that favorites list. :P

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:05 pm

Welcome Jodi! You are going to love Bigger. It is such a fun program. I am doing bigger with my kids now 9-almost 11 and then LHFHG with my 4 and 6 year old. I am looking forward to getting to know you better and excited for you that you ordered Bigger. You will love it! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:32 pm

Hello Jodi

Welcome!!!!! :D :D :D
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

Jodi

box arrived!

Post by Jodi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:01 am

My box of Bigger Hearts for his Glory materials arrived on Saturday. I'm having great fun looking it over. This curriculum with extensions sure looks ideal for my family with 4 kids in less than 5 years. I don't think I've been as happy about something as this besides back when they were all quite little and there was another curriculum that fit our ages and learning styles back then perfectly. Quite a plus that BHFHG happens to use science books we were already planning to use.

My kids don't seem to be able to fit into some literature based curriculum with lots and lots of reading. That doesn't leave them enough time to read random books they are interested in. Here we seem to have some read alouds and readers but not too much, a good amount. Plus many hands on activities which are always important to us, Looking forward to getting started. :D

I felt bad having requested a catalog and then ordering anyway before it arrived. Well since another one came with the order I can now share one with a friend! :idea:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:33 pm

Jodi,

I just wanted to welcome you to the board! We're glad you're here, and very excited that you've received your things already! :D So, we'll celebrate your BOX DAY with you too!

We pray you'll enjoy Bigger as much as we did this past year! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie