independence day

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
holyhart

independence day

Post by holyhart » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:26 am

Does anyone do anything special outside of the normal lesson plans to teach a little about what Independence Day means. I was looking for some ideas online and most of what I found were just star and strip crafts. I do want to keep it simple as dd is just 5 and ds is only 2, but I think that dd can handle a little more 'meat' ya know?

So I thought I would pick your brains for some ideas/books that you may have used or are using.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Lisa E

Post by Lisa E » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:40 pm

This website has some lapbook ideas for the 4th of July and some different craft idea.

http://lapbooklessons.ning.com/HolidayLapbooks

Lisa E

momto2grls

Post by momto2grls » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:25 pm

We read "The 4th of July Story" by Alice Dagliesh. The girls enjoyed the book and it helped them understand the meaning behind all of the fireworks and celebration. :)
Proud mom of 2 girls :
dd - 7yrs Bigger Hearts
dd - 3yrs Little Hands

jensmom

Post by jensmom » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:19 pm

We are also reading "The 4th of July Story" by Alice Dagliesh. I am breaking it up into 2 or 3 nights so that she can hopefully comprehend more of the story. Plus we are going to be driving up the east coast from GA to PA and NY the week after the 4th so I am pointing out which if the 13 colonies that we will be driving through or visiting and I will remind her again on the drive. I am trying to emphasize the part about why we celebrate and de-emphasize how we celebrate the day. :?

Plus, my dd was born on Flag Day so we already read the story about Betsy Ross and the first flag the day before her birthday so she is really noticing flags more and understanding them more for what they represent...I think. :wink:

Judy
2nd year HODie/homeschooler - Using Bigger for 2nd grade
dd - 7 - June '02
Metro Atlanta