Wants His Own Thing..

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Re: Wants His Own Thing..

Post by my3sons » Fri May 16, 2014 10:10 am

Thank you so much for taking time to answer all of my questions! :D That helps so much! You are doing an awesome job with your dc, and your helping with the semi-independent boxes at the start and reading aloud the storytime is just right! I only wanted to be sure that each of your dc will be well suited for their respective guides and not require too much of you to be successful. :wink: It sounds like older ds is ready for RTR. Sometimes, I think you just have to make a switch mid-stride, or you'll always be finishing something out and may not get to the right placement when needed. So, as older ds is wanting his own thing, and one of the primary goals of education is for students to become self-motivated, responsible, mature learners (lifelong goals), I'd reward that drive and let him stop CTC and start RTR now, or as soon as possible, still taking whatever breaks/pauses/stops you would have done. :D (I have found it is not a positive to promise a break and then not take it, as dc like the ebb and flow of school and breaks as much as we moms do. :D ) I'd probably have your older ds read his own Storytime, though you can make that call depending on how much of you there is to go around. RTR was where my sons started reading their own Storytime, but you will know best there. I'd keep your younger ds going half-speed in CTC. Hypothetically, as ds has about half of the CTC guide left and is going half-speed, older ds starting RTR now should finish it about the same time younger ds finishes half-speed CTC. I think you would love each of your sons each having their own guides to work out of, and you can easily have a midpoint meeting time with each of them. I would let older ds know that you expect him to rise to the challenge of the RTR guide, working carefully and following directions in order for independent boxes to the best of his ability. :D Let him know you are rewarding his drive for wanting to do more and that you can see he is becoming a young man and needing the opportunity to take on more independence and maturity. :D Half-speed CTC and full-speed RTR with 2 dc having their own guides won't be that hard to do, especially as you've indicated that dc would do well separated in your opinion at this point. :D What are your thoughts though? :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

mothermayi?

Re: Wants His Own Thing..

Post by mothermayi? » Fri May 16, 2014 12:03 pm

Julie,

Thank you for your thorough reply!! My husband and I talked with ds10 about half speed and we believe he will be tired of dragging out the guide and ready to move on. This would mean he would be in CTC for a year and a half if he does the second half of CTC at half-speed.

Would it be totally insane to do the last half of Preparing, beginning where we are with the history in CTC? He likes independent work so making more of the boxes independent? He is a great reader so maybe add some extension books along the way. This would give him a sweep across a broad span of history before coming back to finish ctc full speed. The CHOW book looks low in reading level but he will still do DITHR and extension books so perhaps he wont mind the lower level of CHOW?

ETA: I forgot to mention that ds10 said the content in CTC is good but it is too violent for him and he finds it disturbing.

As for DS12, will the science in RTR be sufficient for a 7th grader that wishes to pursue a STEM major? He has had a rigorous science education thus far and has done very well with the subject.
~Began HOD Oct. 28, 2013
DS13 (7th) HOD RTR, MUS, DITHR 6/7/8
DS11 (5th) HOD CTC, Singapore & LOF, DITHR 4/5
DD6.5 (1st) MFW 1, Miquon Math, LOF
DD4.5 (PreK4) MFW K