How could we best fit 5 into guides?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lisaha1

How could we best fit 5 into guides?

Post by lisaha1 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:45 am

Hi, I haven't been here in awhile, I had used LHFHG a few years ago for two of my children. I really like the Conservative Christian views and teaching in these guides. I was wondering if I go with HOD for next year, how would I seperate the children? We have been studying Bible Science and Social all together, but this year my oldest has done several of her own things. We have studied history from creation-reformation/1600's. My school age children next year will be: Levi 5 (K/1st turns 6 in mid Sept and is very young with a short attention span but can read sight words and add and subtract), Toby 7 (2nd, short attention span), James 9 (4th-a quick learner, a bit advanced in reading), Joshua 11 (6th-but same reading level and spelling level as James), Abby 13, (8th and is advanced, she is doing three highschool courses in 7th). So what guides would they fit into and how would I arrange the day with little ones around too?

StephanieU

Re: How could we best fit 5 into guides?

Post by StephanieU » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:51 am

Have you looked a the placement chart (http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php)?
For the first few guides (LHTH through Bigger), I think attention span and writing are most important. You can customize the language arts and math, and in those guides, the students are expected to read any of their work (although some Bigger kids do read a little of it). Once you get to Preparing, I think all parts of the chart except math and grammar are really important. HOD still lets you customize grammar and math, so those are a little easier to adjust when necessary.
Once you have all of them placed, some back and share where they are. Then "we" can help figure out ways to combine at least a few of them. You obviously don't want to run 5 guides with them fairly close in age (and littles coming up behind). But, you probably will want to run 2-3 guides.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:39 am

Definitely look at the placement chart... if they are correctly placed it is no trouble running separate guides! :)

From what you said, my gut instinct would say

8th - not a clue as I'm not that far along ;) I'd say probably you could put her in MtMM and just have her on the track to do a guide each year. However it might be interesting to look at the World Geography guide for her since she's already doing high school level classes in 7th. However I'd defer to the placement guide and more experienced people with kids that age ;)

6th and 4th - I think I'd try combining these two in Preparing. You could use the extensions for the 6th grader and have them in their levels of grammar and math, etc. I think this would work well.

These next two would be trickier. My gut says that the 2nd grader would do best in Beyond and the other one in LHFHG... however you maybe could combine them in LHFHG and do the right side at their own level. Your olders would be getting more and more independent, so having these two in back to back guides wouldn't be as much of a concern....

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:56 pm

For the oldest I am not that far along - so I am not as sure. I would look at the placement chart and focus on Revival to Revolution on up for her.

The next two, Preparing popped straight into my mind for them. However I would double check with the placement chart.

The younger two. Since you said they both have short attention spans - I would look a little more at Little Hearts for His Glory, just "beefing it up" as needed for the older one. Such as the math & adding grammar. Look carefully at the placement chart for them as well. (LHFHG takes about 90 minutes and Beyond about 90-120 minutes.)

Hope we give you some idea on where to start on the chart.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:46 pm

lisaha1 wrote:Hi, I haven't been here in awhile, I had used LHFHG a few years ago for two of my children. I really like the Conservative Christian views and teaching in these guides. I was wondering if I go with HOD for next year, how would I seperate the children? We have been studying Bible Science and Social all together, but this year my oldest has done several of her own things. We have studied history from creation-reformation/1600's. My school age children next year will be: Levi 5 (K/1st turns 6 in mid Sept and is very young with a short attention span but can read sight words and add and subtract), Toby 7 (2nd, short attention span), James 9 (4th-a quick learner, a bit advanced in reading), Joshua 11 (6th-but same reading level and spelling level as James), Abby 13, (8th and is advanced, she is doing three highschool courses in 7th). So what guides would they fit into and how would I arrange the day with little ones around too?
Here is what I would check placement chart against to see if it lines up for their skills-
Levi/Toby-Maybe combine in Beyond...depending on your youngest placement with chart. If not maybe combine in LHFHG for left side and right side Beyond for your 2nd grader.
James and Joshua-maybe try CTC's placement. Check the chart to see if you could combine? If not I would look at Preparing and RTR and see if they fit there. I would at least try to combine 2 children somewhere and this might be your best spot. You might could combine in Preparing and beef up for the older if CTC would be too much for the younger.
Abby-WG...I have a 13 year old advanced dd who came into WG with prior high school credits. It is working well.
Anyway, check with the placement chart but those would be the levels I would start comparing to their skills.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:12 pm

I agree with Tidbits. Since your younger two are so close in age, I would probably place them in CTC if they match up on the placement chart. You wouldn't want to do back to back years with a guide. I also agree with Tidbits for the other kids - I would do Beyond with the younger ones and then World Geography with the 8th grader, again provided that match up with the placement chart.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

lisaha1

Post by lisaha1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:39 pm

I do agree, I would like to have them broke up into 3 guides. Abby deff can run a guide on her own. She is very smart and independent. Joshua and James are close to the same level in so many ways (just not math lol) I can see them together doing semi independent work. Toby and Levi are 16 months apart so I can easily do one guide with them. ;) Now on placement I'm on the fence, I'll review the chart again, pray on it and see...

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:05 pm

Hi Liasha! :D The ladies here are so helpful and wise with advice! :D I'd love to hear what your thoughts are after revisiting the placement chart. One thing to keep in mind - running multiple guides (especially 2 to 3) is NOT hard if dc are properly placed. :D Take a close look at those "I" independent boxes in PHFHG and CTC to check if they can TRULY do those boxes independently. Stepping in to teach where it's not intended adds time to the day, so choose wisely. :D For older dd, I'd probably defer to MTMM. It is a meaty guide, and dd has not done HOD all the way through. She'd already be on the younger part of the age range for MTMM. The 9th grade World Geography guide takes at least 6 1/2 to 7 hours to complete, no way around it. :wink: Very appropriate for high school! But maybe a bit much for 8th grade, considering dd has not been accustomed to the increased workload and independence taught so incrementally and so well in the earlier HOD guides. :wink: Hope something here helps, but I'd love to hear your thoughts!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

lisaha1

Post by lisaha1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi!
Toby firmly fits into Beyond, and Levi is can do everything in the Beyond except he still struggles with coping sentences. He is currently working on that one. ;)
James and Joshua have not done much dictation at all. But they both do written narration a, Joshua does an excellent job with them, James struggles. He has been working on one today for 4 hours now and is still not done. :0P. Joshua and James know cursive but James has not written any sentences in cursive yet as he just learned the letter recently. Joshua copy's his spelling copywork in cursive everyday. Both read well independently and gives oral narrations also. Both read the dirrections for thier math and lang arts and complete them independantly (unless they have a question.). So I'm not sure where they would place???
Abby would fit into either RtR or Mmtm-however in Mmtm, she has not more then 2 lit studies and does not know all of the literary terms.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:04 pm

To me, it sounds like the younger two would be fine in Beyond. If the youngest is close to being able to write sentences, then I think before too long he will be ready for everything in Beyond, so stretching him a tiny bit in that area is fine. Or another option (if you still have LHFHG) is start those two in that at about Unit 19 (I think it is Day 2 of that unit). It is where you make the switch from Bible for history to History Stories for Children (with History for LIttle Pilgrims). That would take you through Fall, and then you could start Beyond with both of them. The older one could start the right side of Beyond now.

Then I would think the decision needs to be made about combining the next two or not. I think individually they place into CtC and Preparing. I haven't used those yet, but maybe someone can help you know if doing two guides would be any more time than doing 1 guide with two kids and possibly extensions for the second. I would think that two guides might actually be less work starting with Preparing because of all of the I boxes.

And then for the oldest, if you think she can do MtMM, I would do that so you don't have to making any adjustments for high school. I would think the slight lacking in literature vocabulary wouldn't be an issue, as she can pick that up in DITHOR as she goes.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 01, 2014 9:42 am

The ladies are doing a super job of helping here! I agree Beyond for the youngest duo, and I'd say do PHFHG (with extensions for 11 yo) with the next two. Last, I'd do MTMM with your oldest. I think she'll soak up the lit studies in DITHOR well, as she is advanced. Be sure to do them though! As this will prepare her well for high school WG the next year. Here are some threads about teaching multiple guides...

Best Tips for Teaching Multiple Guides:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10203&p=74358
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11724&p=85112

We have been teaching multiple guides for 8 years now, and we love our days! By following the above simple steps for teaching multiple guides, I think you will be very successful! But, what are your thoughts?

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie