Should we be finishing Beyond in an hour?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momof3kids

Should we be finishing Beyond in an hour?

Post by momof3kids » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:41 am

Hi all!
We are on unit 26 of Beyond, and my son seems to be doing very well. He usually does his copy work and reading from the ERs set while I am doing LHTH with my younger son. So, the time I usually spend with him one on one has been running about an hour....is that sufficient? Unless there is a science or other activities ..which takes a little longer...but still done in about an hour and a half. He seems to fly right through it...he is doing spelling list 2, and after the first day he can spell them without even writing them, but most days I have him write just for practice. He is 6 , will be 7 in May. We do school 4days a week, and seems to work well...I didn't want to push him to 5days since he is on the younger side....but are we doing enough?? He also does explode the code on his own if he finishes his reading and copying before I am done with LHTH...
Any thoughts?? Should I be doing more with him? I should also mention that he is more motivated with the nice weather...he knows he can go out when school work done :D
Married almost 13yr..dh and great father
5 blessings from God, 1 in heaven
9 yo ds- Preparing DITHOR
8 yo ds- Bigger
5 yo dd- Jut starting Little Hearts half speed
Baby boy born September 2014, now 2yo

StephanieU

Re: Should we be finishing Beyond in an hour?

Post by StephanieU » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:49 am

I think Carrie and Julie's approximation of time is 2 hours total, so it sounds about right. But, your son should be reading the ER books to you. Through the first set of DITHOR, the books should be read aloud. This helps confirm they are pronouncing words correctly, etc. While you are doing LHTH, your Beyond child could be doing copywork, some math, etc.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

momof3kids

Post by momof3kids » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:41 am

He read the ER books aloud at first.....but I didn't know they are to read aloud through the whole set....?...I was a little concerned at first, but he is always able to answer the comprehension questions, so I let him read to himself because he asks to...?...I will start doing together, I just wasn't aware :? ...thanks!
8 yo ds- Bigger

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:11 pm

My kids are always finishing Beyond in an hour or less by the time they are that far into it. We also don't do the reading aloud during school time all the time... I will spot check them occasionally. With the ERs or DITHOR I mean. Most of the time if they don't know what a word means they will ask to make sure they have it correct.

FWIW, my Beyond child is also reading her science readings as well now.

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:12 pm

My Beyond child finishes in an hour to maybe 15 min extra. That included R&S workbook and Explode the Code because he asks for those. He is my more "motivated, get it done, no frills" child. I think that makes some difference. It also makes a big difference with how far you are into the guide. I think your son is doing fine. :D
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Ah... motivation. Yes, that speeds things along when there is no foot dragging. My son doesn't like doing copywork and he usually draaaaags it out. Seems like he should just get on with it and get it over with. It is the difference between 5 minutes-or 30!

By the end of the guide things should be going quicker, so I think your time sounds right, especially because you weren't counting 2 subjects. All of Beyond takes us 2 hours. I don't rush him, he tells many stories, LOL, and I read a chapter of the Bible to him. It seems just right. Nothing is too hard or too easy. I suspect by unit 26 I will see signs of him being ready for more, like your son is. :D. It is a good indication of being ready for the next guide. Or has Beyond always been this easy for your son?
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

momof3kids

Post by momof3kids » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:33 pm

No, not always quite this easy for him. He has gotten the hang of it though...sometimes he says he wants to do his school himself and will read over the boxes, sometimes he will read his Bible verse on his own. Should I up him to 5 days a week?....I have read several say its better to spread out Beyond and Bigger if on the young side...so that was kinda the plan. Keep in mind this has been our first year, so just figuring this out as we go :D I feel he is one of those kids ahead of the curve....but he is not even 7 yet..so hate to push too much...?
8 yo ds- Bigger

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:39 am

Well he IS young, but he sounds like he WANTS more. So... I think going 5 days would be good. Then when you start Bigger slow THAT one down. Maybe half speed? Until he finds his feet and reevaluate then.

I suspect my daughter will be like your son. She LOVES learning! *My* son is typical boy ;) the writing and reading is what slows his days down. It isn't terrible, or anything, but he isn't like chomping at the bit wanting to do copywork. :D. A few more months I suspect he'll outgrow Beyond and then we'll be at the end of the guide anyways. I know he will love Bigger.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:12 pm

I think you should do what you want to do :-). I know for me - my kids take about 2 hours put together to get Beyond finished. We are reading regular books now. Not doing DITHOR but just reading whatever. I love that it takes so little time honestly. As they get older, school takes more time. I honestly would just be happy!
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM