OT: "Fluff" reading

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MelInKansas

OT: "Fluff" reading

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:59 pm

I want to ask some of you wise Mamas for advice regarding my 9YO's recreational reading. She loves to read, and I have tried so hard to give her a steady diet of excellent books. We own a lot, and we go to the library a lot. She would love to spend up to 2 hours each day reading on her own, in addition to any reading we do for school.

How do you personally feel about your child reading "fluff?" By this I mean, things that are not necessarily morally bad, but just either kind of silly, little real content, just fun and light stuff. Some examples of fluff in my opinion are things like Garfield comic books, some of the juvenile fiction series like "Secrets of Droon" or there are these "Pony Crazy" and things like this. I do pre-read some of them and my impression is that they are just a waste of time, but DD really likes them. I know there are also definitely cultural messages that I do not agree with, but nothing overt that I can put my finger on and say "this is a bad influence because of this." And I know at this point she has some discernment also and at least KNOWS right and wrong. (we have not gotten into things like Babysitters club, etc even though some friends have recommended those to me).

I am starting to think that the more books there are in a series, the less quality it is. Most of the authors we really love have just a few books and she has read them over and over (E.B. White, some of the American Girl - those are too easy now, Little House, etc).

Please help me, if you have been here before. Do I need to stick to my guns and insist on good literature if she is going to spend free time reading? Is some "fluff" okay as long as the content is mostly good? I have pre-read some of the things coming up in the girl interest 4/5 book pack and I just LOVE those and wish I had dozens more like them to give DD to read. Maybe I just need to commit myself to buy those hard-to-find books and spend the extra money in order to fill my DDs mind with good things rather than bad.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Gwenny

Re: OT: "Fluff" reading

Post by Gwenny » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:25 pm

I never allowed the fluff. There is too much out there that is wonderful to bother with them. I never wanted to whet the appetite for the junk.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

The2youngs

Post by The2youngs » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:35 pm

My son isn't as old as your daughter, but he's been a voracious reader for two years so I can relate! I actually struggled with this same issue about a year ago as my son became enraptured by all the Magic Tree House books and Lego Ninjago chapter books (blech!). I read elsewhere, and it really resonated with me, that our literary diet is similar to our nutritional diet. We thrive on healthy, quality foods that provide nourishment and sustenance. Dense foods provide more than "empty calories." But, a little bit of "junk food" every now and then won't hurt. However, a steady diet of junk food...well, we all know how we feel after that. The same goes for our books, I feel. I purpose to provide my kids with the best literary "nutrition". They have more depth, better quality writing, and the thoughts and ideas in them provide lasting appeal. But, a "junk food" book every now and again won't kill them. :-) Right now, it's a "The Incredibles" comic strip type book that Dad let him pick from the library. But, this week, I've also have seen my son willingly choose to read a well-written nonfiction book on the history of baseball that instead.

Early on, I purged all of our junk books and really focused on enhancing our personal library. I am still very selective about what comes and STAYS in our house. We avoided any and all TV character books when we went to the library (which we did less of until I had thought through the types of books I wanted to encourage - unfortunately, the library is full of "fluff"! :( ) and I did a lot of requesting books online so I had more control over what came in. After it seemed he'd been "reprogrammed" to enjoy more of the quality literature, I allowed him to choose a "fluff" book or two from the library, along with plenty of good, interesting reads. Now, I can see that allowing him small doses of "fluff" books hasn't affected his love of great books. I am still pretty strict on what he reads but it's also neat to see how he thoroughly enjoys great books now and makes wiser choices without my coaxing. :)
Heather
Wife to Brandon for 19 years, Mommy, and Missionary in PNG

In 2023-2024:
DS 16 in US1 with a couple DE classes,
DS 14 in WG,
DD 13 in MTMM,
DD 11 in Res to Ref

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:23 am

For me - I limit the fluff. I hate the Dork Diaries and the girl series as well. But I don't make the book have an award or anything before the read it. I like a lot of stuff that hasn't won any awards so I don't make my kids read stuff that has. Basically, I just look to see if it has anything majorly amoral and if the language is descent. Right now my dd is reading How to Eat Fried Worms. The books is hilarious! Very gross yes! But funny. She laughs out loud the whole time and yelling, yuck or nasty! It is funny though. I will also let my youngers read comic books if they want depending on which one. So my younger two love Pokémon and I let them read those.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Nealewill on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

christina32344

Post by christina32344 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:39 am

I allow fluff reading, but only from books that have an underlying moral trait they are teaching. My daughter is reading the Sweet Valley Kids series atm. I grew up reading these books and they are written on a 1st through 3rd grade level. I do not believe all "fluff" books are created equal. However, if your daughter enjoys horses than the Saddle Club series, Pony Pals, or other horse loving girl books are fine imo. I believe we should encourage what they love, but doing so in a way that boosts their own character traits.
Last edited by christina32344 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christina
LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG,PHFHG, now CTC- daughter age 11
LHTH-son age 3

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:35 am

I let my kids pick their recreational reading. I always have and probably always will. They all love reading and pick books over other things. Even my son who has dyslexia is a book lover. I would have hated for my reading to have been limited b/c my parents or another adult thought they were fluff. Our imaginations are so valuable and living vicariously through books is part and parcel of being a book lover. I read the Babysitter series as a kid and Sweet Valley High and so many other things...those are just two that I remember well. My kids have all went through phases...they loved the warrior book series about cat tribes, 39 clues was so much fun with the mysteries that I got them from the library to listen in the car, Goosebumps (total twaddle) ignited the love of books in my son when I thought he would forever see reading as a chore. I hated the Junie B. Jones books but my dd could read at that level before kindergarten and she enjoyed them. She didn't become a bratty kid over it. I did have a mom post a comment on my blog when I had posted a pic with my dd reading a book that she felt was not appropriate for 9 year olds. I think right then I really thought if the worst thing is my dd wants to read a book that doesn't hurt anyone but isn't a literary work of art...well I have small problems compared to some with their children.
I try not to over think it b/c believe me at 13 we now have a lot more pressing issues than the books she picks out. I have been there and I pretty much decided not to over think it. It is easy to crush a kid's spirit if the thing they love to read about is thought of as junk by someone they look up to it can definitely change their way of looking at you and looking up to you.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:24 am

Thanks for these thoughts ladies, and I really resonate with what you said. I feel like my DD does love excellent books more than junk, but her appetite for reading has surpassed what I can screen and try to guide her in choosing good books. She will gladly read a good book if it is available to her, and I am committed to providing her good books to read. I almost even think I should limit the amount of time she spends reading, unless it's the Bible she wants to read. I really see reading as something that does become an idol in her life (and in the past it has been in mine too). We talk about that, pray, and work on that often.

Yes, many if not all of the fluff books do have some kind of good morals in them, but also often it is twisted, and the values that are upheld are worldly values. I think what you read in books is a gateway to the heart and mind just as much as what you watch on TV or hear from friends and family. I want to be very careful what I allow or encourage, surely she will be influenced by worldly things, I can't keep them out forever, but I want to help guide her to love what is right. I believe that is my job.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:16 am

My mom was always careful, but she also taught me at a very young age what was appropriate and what was not - because I read too fast for her. A few of the books could be considered nonsense, but most were good. I also reread books - over and over. Yes, my mom also did limit my reading time. There were certain requirements to be met first - otherwise I would get too involved in reading.
I try to limit the nonsense books for my children. I do allow them to read carefully selected graphic novels. They are what finally taught my oldest to read - therefore I am thankful for Garfield comic books!
We do have a limit of 1-2 of these kind of books per library trip.
Has she read the imagination Station books? Our library has them, and although they do pretend to go back in time, there are many history lessons/facts in them - and very clean. My oldest just started those. To me they are the Christian equivalent to the Magic Tree House mysteries which I do not allow.
You are wise to be careful, yet I understand the frustration of finding good books. There are many on the DITHOR book list as well. I am currently reading the Riverboat Adventures by Lois Walfrid Johnson. She is on the list.
Hang in there!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:58 am

I would allow her to read what is interesting to her when she's on her own time, but I would have conversations about the books she reads. Have her share with you her opinion of whether the book was quality or fluff. I think you will find that the more quality she is exposed to via HOD, the more she'll choose quality over fluff. It may just be part of the maturing process. Dickens and Austin have spoiled Nicholas Sparks for me forever!
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!