LHFH for K

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sweetgrace

LHFH for K

Post by sweetgrace » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:08 am

Thank you all for your help so far in helping us with starting HOD! You all have been very helpful. I have another question about the guides. I know I'm looking far ahead here but it's nice to know how HOD works :) So, if we start LHFHG for my 5.5yo's K year, I am counting that he will finish the last HOD guide in 11th grade. Am I counting wrong or is everyone who starts LHFHG for K do something along the way for the child to end up in twelfth grade in the last guide instead of eleventh grade?
Tawny~ Wife and helpmeet to Gabriel~ Mommy to G- 6.5 LHFHG, A-5 LHTH (slowly), B-20m

TrueGRIT

Re: LHFH for K

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:23 am

Some families only do school 4 days a week, which makes a guide last about 9 weeks longer. (This is in the younger guides- Bigger on down- where a unit is scheduled for 5 days a week)

Others will start off half-speed (left side one day, right side the next), making it 2 weeks for one unit for awhile. This is sometimes necessary for a child who needs a little extra adjustment to a new guide.

Others, (like us), have life get in the way and we have to use the above options and even have short periods of time with no school.

Still, there are a few that can do exactly one guide a year, and have a year to do dual enrollment classes, CLEP tests, or graduate a year early.

Hope this helps some.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

sweetgrace

Post by sweetgrace » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:08 am

TrueGRIT wrote:Some families only do school 4 days a week, which makes a guide last about 9 weeks longer. (This is in the younger guides- Bigger on down- where a unit is scheduled for 5 days a week)

Others will start off half-speed (left side one day, right side the next), making it 2 weeks for one unit for awhile. This is sometimes necessary for a child who needs a little extra adjustment to a new guide.

Others, (like us), have life get in the way and we have to use the above options and even have short periods of time with no school.

Still, there are a few that can do exactly one guide a year, and have a year to do dual enrollment classes, CLEP tests, or graduate a year early.

Hope this helps some.
Yes that make sense! We will just chug along until we need to cross that bridge :) I just wanted to make sure we weren't missing anything or have gaps/holes in his schooling.
Tawny~ Wife and helpmeet to Gabriel~ Mommy to G- 6.5 LHFHG, A-5 LHTH (slowly), B-20m

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:03 pm

I don't really have any thing to add. Your math is correct, there are (or will be) 12 guides for K-12 if you use LHFHG as your K guide. My DD needed to slow down because things got harder too quickly for her from Beyond to Bigger. Preparing is a jump too, and mainly because of MY time, she is capable and could probably do full-speed but we are doing the 4 days of work in 5 right now. And I only school 4 days a week so it takes more than a week to finish a unit. Having this little extra wiggle room is nice. I still fulfill my state requirements because we attend a co-op on the 5th day that provides P.E., Art, a little bit of Spanish, etc.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven