Worksheets in R&S English

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

Worksheets in R&S English

Post by Gwenny » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:32 pm

Does anyone do the worksheets booklet along with the R&S English book? I have been with my daughter who is doing grade 3. I had them before HOD and bought all of the items with grade 3. Too much busywork or good for a little extra reinforcement? I would need to buy a worksheet book for when she goes in grade 4 book. Should I?
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

annaz

Re: Worksheets in R&S English

Post by annaz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:35 pm

I used the worksheets (when I used R&S) whenever I could. They have more work on them but we just selected even's or odds. We did those instead of the work in the book since dd preferred it that way.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:07 am

I use the worksheets with my oldest because he struggles with every part of LA. They seem to help him and he enjoys them more. His English comprehension and work have actually improved since I started using them.

That said, I think it depends on the child.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

CindyK

Post by CindyK » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Yes, I use the Worksheets for Grade 3. We cover most everything either orally or on the white board. Sometimes I'll have him use a notebook for something. I always check to see if there is a worksheet to go with the lesson and he does the worksheet if there is one. We may or may not cover everthing in the lesson when there is a worksheet.

For grade 2 there are no worksheets, just tests, and I miss not having them for my 2nd grader.
~Cindy~

17yr. old dd -World History Guide
11yr. old ds - Preparing plus extensions
9yr. old dd - other

tpschettle

Post by tpschettle » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi, Gwenny!

For me, it would depend on how she's doing with the written practice.

My oldest son started R&S in 4th grade (apart from HOD) after struggling with LA in three other programs. We had to do some of those worksheets 3 times before he mastered the concepts, but he finally did! Prior to that he couldn't even define a noun, much less diagram a sentence. (I love telling people that English is now his highest grade at Christian school.) :wink:

My 2nd is coming up through R&S from 2nd grade. If he doesn't need the extra practice to master the concepts, I probably won't have him do them. If I didn't already have them, I'd buy them, though!

Can't wait to see what 3rd grade looks like!

God bless you and your family! :)
Tina
Jn 14:1-3, Is 53:14

Jim's wife 22 years
16yo DS R2R, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RV2RV, MTMM
13yo DS Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RV2RV, MTMM

Arise, shine;
For your light has come!
And the glory of the LORD is risen upon you.
Is 60:1

choochooboysmom

Post by choochooboysmom » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:20 pm

I love the worksheets!

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:59 am

I love the worksheets too. My kids really love it. I use them in place of written practice because usually the worksheets make it easier! faster! less writing than written practice would be. Sometimes that is easier than even oral.

They are super cheap and I use them as a time saver, not extra work or practice. My kids now look to see if there is a worksheet for that day and cheer when there is one.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:32 pm

My kids loved them too!
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.