Beefing Up Rev. to Rev. for High School (11th grade)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Homeschooling6

Beefing Up Rev. to Rev. for High School (11th grade)

Post by Homeschooling6 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:15 pm

My eldest son Josh is currently completing the high school geography guide. Next year he needs do start American history. I plan to use Rev. to Rev. for 11th and MTMM for 12th grade. I have found threads on how to beef up MTMM but not Rev. to Rev.

Would love to hear your ideas and read through previous discussions.

I would probably use another science program because he covered Physical Science.

I was thinking about using ACE for science and maybe literature.

He has really enjoyed all of HOD this year. If at all possible I'd love to just purchase the next guide coming out but am not sure how to make that work without overwhelming him.

I do appreciate any help, thanks so much!
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
dd.15~RtR, MTMM, and now WG
ds.14~ PH, CTC, and now MtMM
ds.13~ PH, CTC, and now Rev2Rev
ds.11 ~Bigger, and now CtC
ds.10 ~ Preparing

http://www.homeschooling6.com

StephanieU

Re: Beefing Up Rev. to Rev. for High School (11th grade)

Post by StephanieU » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:40 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8208&p=59715 is the post about using Rev 2 Rev for high school.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 pm

I was wondering if your son could do the new World History Guide for grade 11 and then do the high school American History Guide (that will come out after the World History Guide) for grade 12? :D What did he cover history-wise and science-wise his freshman year? Just thinking out loud here, to explore options... :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:12 pm

Carrie wrote:I was wondering if your son could do the new World History Guide for grade 11 and then do the high school American History Guide (that will come out after the World History Guide) for grade 12? :D What did he cover history-wise and science-wise his freshman year? Just thinking out loud here, to explore options... :D

Blessings,
Carrie
He completed Bob Jones Physical Science and Bob Jones Geography both from their 9th grade dvd course.

Another thought, if I beef up Rev. to Rev. can I use high school American History for his 12?

I'm also looking at Christian Light's Literature. Using Bob Jones literature on my own would be too hard and I can't afford the dvds to go along with it.

My poor oldest is our guinea pig child.

My daughter right now is on her 2nd year using HOD and will use the World Geography Guide for her 9th grade year. I'm excited for her and thankfully I won't have to tweak like with Josh.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:33 pm

I would think that you would need him to have both World History and American History prior to graduating. So, I am thinking that he'd need the next two guides that we are coming out with in order to complete his studies in the area of history anyway. If he is doing well with the World Geography Guide, then he could just move into the World History guide for grade 11 (doing world history that year) and do the high school American history guide we will have out the next year (summer 2015) for his 12th grade year (for American history). :D

If he did the lit. that was in the World Geography guide, then he should be able to handle the lit. coming in the World History guide. If he did the literature in the Geography guide and also did the lit. coming in the World History guide (and he needed Brit. Lit., he would have enough Brit. titles to equal a semester of Brit. Lit. between the two guides). That would leave his senior year to do American lit. with the American history guide. That plan should also cover all his literature needs prior to graduation. :D

For science, if he did the IPC that was in the World Geography guide, then he should need Biology and Chemistry prior to graduation. That means that he could do the ACE Biology we have planned in the World History guide and do the Chemistry that will be scheduled in the American History guide and have his requirements covered that way in science. Does that make sense?

So, I guess my question I'm wanting to clarify is that he is doing IPC Science in the World Geography guide right now and also doing the literature in the World Geography guide? If not, what is he doing in those areas this year? That information will help us plan better what your son still needs. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:45 pm

Carrie wrote:I would think that you would need him to have both World History and American History prior to graduating. So, I am thinking that he'd need the next two guides that we are coming out with in order to complete his studies in the area of history anyway. If he is doing well with the World Geography Guide, then he could just move into the World History guide for grade 11 (doing world history that year) and do the high school American history guide we will have out the next year (summer 2015) for his 12th grade year (for American history). :D

If he did the lit. that was in the World Geography guide, then he should be able to handle the lit. coming in the World History guide. If he did the literature in the Geography guide and also did the lit. coming in the World History guide (and he needed Brit. Lit., he would have enough Brit. titles to equal a semester of Brit. Lit. between the two guides). That would leave his senior year to do American lit. with the American history guide. That plan should also cover all his literature needs prior to graduation. :D

For science, if he did the IPC that was in the World Geography guide, then he should need Biology and Chemistry prior to graduation. That means that he could do the ACE Biology we have planned in the World History guide and do the Chemistry that will be scheduled in the American History guide and have his requirements covered that way in science. Does that make sense?

So, I guess my question I'm wanting to clarify is that he is doing IPC Science in the World Geography guide right now and also doing the literature in the World Geography guide? If not, what is he doing in those areas this year? That information will help us plan better what your son still needs. :D

Blessings,
Carrie
Carrie, yes he is doing the literature from the World Geography guide, except he's not using R&S English. I have him using Bridgeway Acadamy Remedial English.

For science he is using IPC.

I'm understanding correctly that with using the World History and World Geography guides that will cover British Lit. and he will be okay with not taking two years of U.S. History?

I don't think he will be going to a university after high school. Most likely he'll attend a community college.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:01 pm

StephanieU wrote:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8208&p=59715 is the post about using Rev 2 Rev for high school.
Thank you. I'm saving the thread you linked. Great infor.

I'm so thankful that the rest of my kiddos will be right on track with using HOD.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:00 pm

The big thing is to check your state's high school requirements to make sure you are in compliance. Some are specific on what sciences students have to have. Most have 3-4 years. If it is 3 years, it is World History, US History, and Economics/Government normally. For 4 years, it is often the same as "above" plus geography. Some states don't specify courses though, so it really depends on what you need. If your state gives you total freedom, then you have even more choices!
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:19 pm

Here is what I found for my state:
Three science, including Biology, an advanced course, and either another advanced course or Integrated Physics and Chemistry
Three social studies, including U.S. History, one-half credit for Government, one-half credit for Economics, one credit for World Geography or World History (Students can complete a combined World History/World Geography course to meet this requirement.)
and another source:
(3) Science--two credits. The credits must consist of Biology and Integrated Physics and Chemistry (IPC). A student may substitute a chemistry credit (Chemistry, AP Chemistry, or IB Chemistry), or a physics credit (Physics, Principles of Technology, AP Physics, or IB Physics) and then must use the second of these two courses as the academic elective credit identified in subsection (b)(5) of this section.

(4) Social studies--three credits. Two of the credits must consist of United States History Studies Since 1877 (one credit), United States Government (one-half credit), and Economics with Emphasis on the Free Enterprise System and Its Benefits (one-half credit). The final credit may be selected from the following courses:

(A) World History Studies; and

(B) World Geography Studies.
Hope this helps.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:13 pm

Homeschooling6 wrote:Here is what I found for my state:
Three science, including Biology, an advanced course, and either another advanced course or Integrated Physics and Chemistry
Three social studies, including U.S. History, one-half credit for Government, one-half credit for Economics, one credit for World Geography or World History (Students can complete a combined World History/World Geography course to meet this requirement.)
and another source:
(3) Science--two credits. The credits must consist of Biology and Integrated Physics and Chemistry (IPC). A student may substitute a chemistry credit (Chemistry, AP Chemistry, or IB Chemistry), or a physics credit (Physics, Principles of Technology, AP Physics, or IB Physics) and then must use the second of these two courses as the academic elective credit identified in subsection (b)(5) of this section.

(4) Social studies--three credits. Two of the credits must consist of United States History Studies Since 1877 (one credit), United States Government (one-half credit), and Economics with Emphasis on the Free Enterprise System and Its Benefits (one-half credit). The final credit may be selected from the following courses:

(A) World History Studies; and

(B) World Geography Studies.
Hope this helps.
Reading through your previous posts and this one it looks like you are in a quandary. For science it sounds like you have everything but Biology so far.

Physical Science-1 credit 9th grade
Integrated Physics and Chemistry-1 credit 10th grade
So you just need Biology for the 3 credits required in your state.
History is going to be your quandary b/c it specifically states US History since 1877 which would be American History from the last guide. It also says World Geography or World History and you have 2 years of Geography already. You don't need both and you have 2 credits in Geography so far.
Geography-1 credit 9th grade
World Geography-1 credit 10th grade
Since you have done 2 years of Geography and don't need World History...you need US History after the Civil War and Govt/Economics...,... it does sound like Rev2Rev and MTMM beefed up would be what you need to meet your state requirements since the US History guide for HOD won't be out for a few more years and the 1st Am. History High School guide most likely won't cover the time period you are needing for your student's requirements. To me, I don't see how you could get the Am. History, Govt. and Economics, and Biology credit needed during the next 2 years without going to the guides written that cover US History from 1877 and Govt. and Economics.
If I am reading it right you still need
1 credit US History since 1877
1/2 credit Govt.
1/2 credit Economics with a focus on Free Enterprise
1 credit Biology
which would mean you would need the last HOD guide yet to be written to get your required History credits needed...I think the only way to get the credits you need with HOD is to go back and do the guides written that cover these courses...If it were me, I would beef up Rev2Rev and use Biology for science with it then beef up MTMM and use the science written and add in Chemistry 101 DVD's for a Chemistry credit. That way you would have your Am. History, Govt, Economics, Biology credits and get an extra Chemistry credit to have 4 science credits and you will have 4 History credits.
9th-Geography 1 credit
10th-World Geography 1 credit
11th-Am. History 1/Government (1/2 credit in each)
12th-Am. History 2/Economics (1/2 credit in each)
4 history credits achieving the 3 required ones for your state.
9th-Physical Science 1 credit
10th-IPC 1 credit
11th-Biology 1 credit
12th-Chemistry 1 credit
4 science credits including the required ones for your state.
You would actually come out with more credits than required for your state, but would have the "required" courses that they want your student to attain.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:43 am

Tidbits, thank you for your reply. I should have used the younger guides in the first place but my excitement with the new guide and all :roll: and for some reason I was thinking (or not thinking) that the BJ geography was covering world history (knocking my head against the wall). But it has been a good year and I don't think he would have switched otherwise. He absolutely loved all the books when I was showing him HOD's World Geo. guide.

If we do go the route with Rev. to Rev. I can add:

The 5,000 Year Leap
The Federalist Papers
Read the Constitution (which he has and started memorizing it)

and/or
Zeebooks Publishing's A Noble Experiment

and that would make it high school worthy for his Gov. and Eco. correct?

Literature credit:

LLATL Gold and I was thinking Easy Grammar the Ulitimate Series for high school. Right now he's using Bridgeway Remedial Grammar.

or

Use Christian Light or Ace would either of those work as well. (I was thinking about using one of these because LLATL has more books and although Josh loves to read it seems adding 4 or 5 more books would seem overwhelming). If using either CL or Ace alone is not enough what can I do to make it high school worthy.

Bible:

He does a lot of Bible reading and is a member of Alert Cadet where they do service projects, memorize Bible chapters, study character quality traits, etc. and he also completed his AWANA which is a lot too, currently for the last two years he has been writing summaries about each book. Right now he completed Job.

Science:
I'm thinking ACE Biology with Biologoy 101 DVDs

And of course with the extensions from HOD. Would that cover everything for his 11th year?

Thank you all for taking the time to help me.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing

Tidbits of Learning

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:21 am

It sounds good to me. Since his Bible would be extended through outside activities, I would start a hourly log to show hours spent for credit. In one of the threads it says how many hours = 1 credit. I have 150 hrs=1 credit, 75 hrs=1/2 credit and 37.5 hrs=1/4 credit wrote down on my sticky note but that may be the minimum credit requirements for my area. I am using those hours to show credit in our electives at co-op. I just can't remember if I got them off the board or when I was calling local high school counselors in my area.
If we do go the route with Rev. to Rev. I can add:

The 5,000 Year Leap
The Federalist Papers
Read the Constitution (which he has and started memorizing it)

and/or
Zeebooks Publishing's A Noble Experiment
This sounds like a great plan for Govt. and Economics credits for high school.
Literature credit:

LLATL Gold and I was thinking Easy Grammar the Ulitimate Series for high school. Right now he's using Bridgeway Remedial Grammar.

or

Use Christian Light or Ace would either of those work as well. (I was thinking about using one of these because LLATL has more books and although Josh loves to read it seems adding 4 or 5 more books would seem overwhelming). If using either CL or Ace alone is not enough what can I do to make it high school worthy.
For Literature credit in high school, you do need to read a few novels. It is on top of studying elements of literature and when you take British and American Lit. you normally read novels specific to those authors. I would suggest at least reading one novel each semester even if you go with a Literature curriculum that does not add novel studies.
Science:
I'm thinking ACE Biology with Biologoy 101 DVDs
Sounds like a really good plan. :) If he liked the IPC with WG, they do have a Principles, Theories, and Precepts of Biology by the same publisher.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:07 am

In thinking through what has been shared thus far in the thread, and in looking at your state requirements, I see a couple of options that you could consider. As you're weighing your options, it is good to think how much tweaking or adjusting you'd be doing to each guide. In my mind, the least amount of tweaking is a good thing (as it is just easier for the student to know what to do each day). :wink:

First of all, I'm thinking that doing Rev2Rev and MTMM and adjusting in the areas as needed would work for your son's final two years of high school. So that is definitely an option. In that option, you would be tweaking the science and literature and Bible (or even replacing it in some cases). This can be done, it just means that you'll be on your own a bit in those areas. :wink: You'd also have some extra things that are typically required that you may have to add.

Next, with this in mind, it is worth talking about potentially using the World History guide for your son's junior year to see if that results in less tweaking. So, as I think aloud about this option... your son could do the literature from the World History guide with no tweaking. He could also do the writing that will scheduled in that guide as written. Then, you could continue with the grammar you've already been using. This combination would give him the needed full-credit in Literature (and when combined with what he did in the World Geography Guide could count toward a semester up to a full year of British Literature if that is a requirement for your state, which it usually is). He could also do the ACE Biology with Lab as scheduled in the World History guide that he still needs as part of of his required sciences. He could do the Bible as written in the World History guide and earn a full credit in Bible (this would include doing the Pilgrim's Progress study in the guide). Your son would also have a semester of Total Health that he could do as scheduled in the World History guide (which is probably also a requirement as part of your state's health/p.e. goals). If he needed a 1/2 credit up to a full credit of Fine Arts, he could also do that from the World History guide. Last, if he did the Spanish in the World Geography Guide, he could choose to continue with the Foreign Language option that will be in the World History guide. These would all be credits that he could use from the World History Guide "as is" each day (before we even look at the History portion). It looks like this in list form for your son's junior year transcript (leaving history off for the moment): :D

Literature/Composition/Grammar (English: 1 full credit)
Biology with Lab (Science: 1 full-credit with Lab)
Bible: Old Testament Survey (1 full-credit)
Health (1/2 credit)
Fine Arts (1 full-credit)
Foreign Language (1/2 credit)
Math (1 full-credit)

Now, as we look at the history, while your state requires either World Geography or World History it is obvious that you don't have to have world history due to your son covering geography twice. One of the Geographies he has done will be listed as an elective at this point already (which is fine, because your state didn't specify a 4 year plan for history). I would probably list the BJU Geography as Cultural Geography on your transcript. Then, you could list World Geography for the HOD course. One will be an elective and the other one will be a main course. Either one can be listed either place. :D

Next, as we look at World History (while it is true that you don't need it for your state's requirement for graduation, it is also true that you don't need the history that is listed in Rev2Rev for your state's requirement for graduation either). So, you are comparing two histories that are not required. Either one could be listed on your transcript as a history course and wouldn't need to be shifted to be listed as an elective. This is because many colleges do want to see the traditional history courses of World Geography, World History, and American History on a transcript. So,it is fine to list the course without making it an elective. Just because a state doesn't require it for graduation, doesn't mean that a college won't want to see it listed. College entrance requirements trump high school graduation requirements. So, if your son is looking at community college, I would find out what their entrance requirements are. :D

With this in mind, taking World History is a good idea, as it is a regularly listed required course in many states and for many colleges. This means that doing the World History portion of the World History guide would be of benefit to your son and look good on his transcript. So, you could do the World History part of the new guide too. This would add a full-credit of World History. At that point you'd need to add math to be done with his requirements, and you could use everything in the World History guide. 8)

If you did go that route, I would also add a semester course in Economics to your son's program. I would do it on his free 5th day each week, so as not to add to the rest of his load in the World History guide. It wouldn't be so hard to do Notgrass' Economics that way. You could have 35 longer sessions on your son's free 5th day, doing 2 day's work on that free 5th day. Or, he could do one session each week all year on the free 5th day, and then finish the other half of the course over the summer. You could downsize a bit with Notgrass Economics, as your son would be getting some Economics eventually in his American History course too. Or, maybe your son would rather do Notgrass Economics over the summer entirely, as his only course, working at his own pace. This would allow him to leave his 5th day free all year long instead. Either option would work. :D

So, if you did the World History Guide, and added Economics you would also add in addition to what we've already listed above to your son's junior year transcript:
World History (1 full-credit)
Economics (1/2 credit through Notgrass)
Total junior year credits: 7 1/2 credits (with only the Notgrass Economics having to be done over the summer or on the free 5th day - no additional planning or tweaking on anything else)

Now, we come to the pondering of what you would do for his senior year, if you do happen to go the World History guide route for next year. In looking at your son's senior year, you would need American History. One source you shared specified 1877 to Present. The other source did not. In going with the more specific source, MTMM would fit that requirement. So, you could potentially use the history from MTMM, including the beginnings of the Economics study in that guide to list as part of your Notgrass' Economics if desired. Beyond that you could look to the new American History guide that we will be coming out with to fulfill your other needed credits.

So, you could use the American Literature and composition as planned in the new American History guide for one-full credit there. You could use the Government as planned in the new American History Guide for 1/2 credit there. You could use either the Chemistry beefed up in MTMM or use the Chemistry as planned in the new American History Guide. Either would work, but the Chemistry in the new American History Guide would be stronger. You could continue on with the Foreign Language coursework in the new American History guide (if you did it as scheduled in the World History guide), giving you 1/2 credit there. You could use either the Bible in MTMM (for 1/2 credit of Bible) or use the Bible as scheduled in the new American History Guide (which will be one-full credit of New Testament Survey).

The credits would look like this: :D
American literature/composition/grammar (English: 1 full credit)
Chemistry with Lab (Science: 1 full credit with lab)
Bible: New Testament Survey (Bible: 1 full credit)
Government (1/2 credit)
Foreign Language (1/2 credit)
American History: 1877 to Present (History: 1 full credit from MTMM)
Math (1 full credit)

It is also likely that we will include Speech in the new American History guide, which would give you that 1/2 credit there to add to your list above. That brings your credits to 6 1/2 credits for his senior year. To teach that year, your son would do the left page of MTMM each day and the right page of the new American History guide for all the rest, plus the government and foreign language boxes from the left page of the new American History guide. In essence, you'd be replacing the history from the high school guide with the history from the MTMM guide to get what you need. Beyond the using two guides, there would be no tweaking. Your son would do what was written in the guides each day. :D

I share this not to overwhelm you, but to help you explore options that would lead to less tweaking. Had your son been coming up from RTR into Rev2Rev this coming year, I wouldn't have shared all of this. But with the fact that your son is successfully completing the World Geography Guide with few to no changes (outside of grammar), it would be of great benefit to both your son (and to you) to go forward as much as possible with all academic areas. 8) Honestly, it is complicated to explain but easy to do.

In summarizing, your son would do the World History guide as written and add Economics for his junior year. For his senior year, he would do the history from MTMM and the new American history guide for everything else. See! It really is simple! :D

As you ponder, let me know if you have questions. I'll just say in closing, that I am very thankful for the gracious ladies on this board that do much to help one another talk through possibilities. Without all of you, there would be no HOD Discussion Board! Thank you for all you do to guide and uplift one another on this homeschool journey! :D I am grateful for the board every day.

Blessings,
Carrie

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:06 pm

Carrie-you are amazing that you take the time to help others in this way-ON TOP of writing our curriculum for us! I am so grateful for you. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Homeschooling6

Post by Homeschooling6 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:45 pm

Carrie, thank you for taking the time to write and share!!! I so appreciate you helping me figure this out. I'm going to print all that you said out and save it. THANK YOU!!!

I was afraid of all the tweaking but what you wrote makes sense and so much easier. I'm all for less tweaking and following the guide :mrgreen: I'm thrilled that we will get to purchase the next high school guide when it comes out too :D .

Can't wait to share this with Joshua, he's going to be really excited. Thank you ladies for helping figure all this out. Thankfully the rest of the kids will be on track with HOD.
Linda
ds16~WG and now WH
ds.10 ~ Preparing