Anyone do LHTH 2 years in a row?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mumkins

Anyone do LHTH 2 years in a row?

Post by Mumkins » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:38 am

My son will be 3 in July. I'd like to do it in the fall with him, but I also wanted it for junior kindergarten next year when he's 4. I'm not wanting him to be bored with it, doing it again. But, I'm guessing at this age, they may not remember it too much. Plus, there is an easier option and harder option, right?

Anyone go through it more than once with the same child?
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

StephanieU

Re: Anyone do LHTH 2 years in a row?

Post by StephanieU » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:43 am

We are just doing it 2-3 days a week. I don't want to get to LHFHG until the youngest is at least 4.5, so it will be 2 full years. We have PreK workbooks already and I just ordered the Rod and Staff ABC series to add to LHTH as needed (especially for the 4yo). And if the 4yo needs more things, we will add in math, phonics, and crafts. We have enough Bibles around that I can easily take 2 days to do one day of LHTH if not 3 or 4 days.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:25 pm

I used it first when my ds was 4 & my dd 2. Afterward she had about a 6 month break while I moved on with brother, then we started LHTH again. We are finishing it up with the older Bible and the R&S workbooks that come before the ones scheduled in LHFHG. We also have reading lessons - only on days when she is ready. The second time around we only did it about 3x a week, but now we are doing it 6 days a week. Yes, that includes Saturday.
When we started LHTH the second time she didn't remember much and enjoyed what little she did. Now at the end she became ready for quite a bit more - so
we sped it up greatly. We are on the last unit. It will have taken us around 14 months to complete LHTH the second time.

Hope this gives you a couple ideas to ponder for your situation.
Have fun!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:25 pm

I have not done it 2 years in a row with the same child, though both my 2nd and 3rd born started it at least 2 years before they would be ready for LHFHG. With my oldest she just had an "off year" between LHTH and LHFHG. She listened to her older sister's read-alouds in Beyond, did craft activities with my Beyond child, had her own workbooks for handwriting/fine motor and other activities I encouraged her to do, and I think when she turned 5 (we did not start LHFHG until she was 5 1/2) I started The Reading Lesson with her at a pretty slow pace. That worked out well for her, and for me as I also had two youngers to care for.

My 3rd born, I started it when she had just turned 3 and now she is 4.5 and we are in Unit 22 I think? She has other workbooks she does also, she loves cutting and pasting, she has a dot to dot and alphabet books along with other games and toys that are learning based and only used during school time. She also often listens to her Beyond sister's storytime and does craft activities with her Beyond sister (and my girl in Beyond often does crafts when they are in LHTH). Basically, she is schooling 1/2 time in LHTH but she does do something every day. We will probably take 2 years to do LHTH, and I don't think I will start LHFHG until she is 5 1/2, probably January 2015.

I think doing it straight through twice would work just fine. With my DD after she turned 4 I started reading the Bible stories out of the Bible, using the references provided in LHTH. It is harder for her to follow and understand sometimes, so sometimes we do talk about it and I try to clarify, but I want her to start being able to understand the language of the Bible. There is the other devotional selection and different activities sometimes (or different variations) for the 4-5 year old vs 2-3 year old.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

dschurma

Post by dschurma » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:14 am

We started at 3.5 yrs old with my middle son. He's now 4.5, and we're only halfway through. We have slowed it waaay down rather than doing it twice. Just another option :)
Dawn
http://mamasmonkeys.blogspot.com
Alex (7) - Beyond
Max (6) - LHFHG
Jensyn Kate (4) - LHTH