Bigger or Preparing for 3rd

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
3beezmama

Bigger or Preparing for 3rd

Post by 3beezmama » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:43 am

My 8-year-old son is finishing up 2nd grade in public school. He is advanced, if not gifted, in reading (4th grade level) and math (upper 3rd grade level). However, his writing is not great. Neither is his grammar. This year, it seems that grammar matters little and all the focus is on comprehension and "thinking".
He does great on spelling tests, usually acing them, but is not a great speller in general. He has a photographic memory and quickly memorizes lists of spelling words, but is quite bad at spelling on his own. He is a bit flighty and bores easily. He is ready to learn cursive and I have just begun teaching him basic formation here at home, as they don't begin teaching it until some time into 3rd grade at his school.
I want to challenge him- he is bored at school and winds up being reprimanded for daydreaming, disturbing class, etc.- but I don't want to stretch him too thin. So, I guess I'm not sure if I should go with Preparing or Bigger.

His brother, who is almost 6 is perfectly suited for Beyond Little Hearts. I am definite on that. He is not advanced, but right on target for his age. I would like to be able to eventually teach them together--maybe bumping up little brother a bit as he listens to big brother's lessons.
Thoughts, prayers, and opinions appreciated.

MamaBear23Cubs

Re: Bigger or Preparing for 3rd

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:31 pm

My 3rd grader just finished up Bigger Hearts (my third and last time using Bigger) and it was just the right for her. Some days we did double lessons. It wasn't too hard or easy.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:42 pm

Have you checked the placement chart?
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Usually coming from a different curriculum it is best to use the lower guide in order to adjust better to the new. Especially since HOD is so wonderfully different.
My oldest did Bigger for 3rd grade and it was plenty challenging for him. The math and LA can easily be adjusted to best suit his needs. I would really take a look at the chart if you haven't already.

You will really enjoy HOD once you get into the swing of things. There are so many aspects to the plans that are not easily seen. Art, poetry, music, etc are all included for you. It is so nice to have these things all in one guide!
Best wishes!!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Great advice here already! :D When you look at the placement chart, where does your oldest ds seem to place best? As TrueGrit mentioned, LA and math can be adjusted as multiple levels of each are planned in each guide. When you say ds has some writing challenges, what does that look like for him in his day to day of school? If writing is quite a struggle for ds, you may want to consider these thoughts from a previous post by Carrie...

As far as choosing between "Beyond.." and "Bigger..." goes, the amount of writing varies quite a bit between Beyond and Bigger. Bigger requires more writing in the areas of a once a week history notebooking assignment, a once a week science experiment sheet and a once a week science notebooking entry, along with once a week copywork of a Bible verse, 1-3 vocabulary cards each week, cursive handwriting practice daily, and daily grammar instruction with written practice. It also provides a choice of spelling or dictation passages. If your little one sounds like that would be fine for her, she belongs in Bigger. If not, then Beyond would be best. :D

Beyond has much less writing doing copywork daily from the poetry, using a gentle once a week introduction to grammar, and writing daily for very short spelling lessons.

If you were going to combine now, I'd combine your 2 dc in Beyond Little Hearts, and get the Bigger Hearts manual for older ds's dictation, grammar, and math - either way, with either Beyond or Bigger Hearts, he can do Drawn into the Heart of Reading 2/3 to challenge his reading level, using any level of book packs that fits him well. If Beyond seems far, far beneath older ds, then I'd look at both Bigger Hearts and Preparing Hearts and compare the writing requirements - I described the differences in this past thread...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3602

Unless Beyond with Bigger LA/math for older seems like a good fit for your 2 dc, I'd probably not try to pick a placement for older ds with future combining in mind. If older ds is gifted, and writing is not as big of a concern after reading through the above posts as you thought it was going to be, I'd put them in separate guides and let them both soar. :D One more thing though - if you have other life challenges than you were able to share here, such as having difficult health concerns, being blessed with a very large family, having a parent or grandparent you are caring for, having a full-time job to work at, being widowed or single, etc. then I'd suggest combining the 2 in Beyond Little Hearts and beefing up with Bigger for LA/math. Otherwise, doing Beyond and PHFHG say, would be easy peasy lemon squeezy! :D :D :D But, what are your thoughts after reading all this?!?

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

3beezmama

Post by 3beezmama » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:02 pm

I think I'll go with Bigger. I am certain he *could* do Preparing, BUT, I don't want to overwhelm him, or us, our first year homeschooling. And with him in PS, I regretfully admit that I am not fully aware of his capabilities. That is one of my reasons for homeschooling..I want to be 100% aware if what my child can and cannot do! Where he excels and where he needs help.
I appreciate the advice!!

3beezmama

Post by 3beezmama » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:20 pm

One thing that has really irked me this year has been not knowing where he is grammatically. The focus has been on concepts, comprehension, and thinking skills. That is great, but grammar doesn't count!! Grrrr.