Can you tell me about how HOD compares with Sonlight?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
InHisGrace

Can you tell me about how HOD compares with Sonlight?

Post by InHisGrace » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:23 pm

I looked at HOD extensively last year but ended up using Sonlight, which I'm most famliar with. But, all year I've been feeling like I should've gone with HOD! So, I'm finishing what I started but again at the point of looking ahead to next year. I was reluctant to switch from Sonlight because it's so familiar and didn't want to set myself up for difficulty if HOD ended up not being a good change. But, as it turns out, this year hasn't been what I wanted it to be either! So, I don't know if it's a matter of adjusting my expectations, or launching out into the unfamiliar territory of HOD. Yes, Sonlight is a lot of reading, and I love spending that time with my kids, but I sense there are other areas and aspects about HOD that would make it worth trying. Can any of you share why switching from Sonlight ended up being a good thing? Thanks!
Married 20 years, dd (14), ds(13), dd(9), ds(5), ds(2)

my3sons

Re: Can you tell me about how HOD compares with Sonlight?

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:47 pm

I can tell you are putting much thought into this! What we use to homeschool is a big decision! Personally, I can share I have loved HOD and used it for over a decade. I'd not trade the past years for anything. What a blessing they have been! :D Throughout my life, I have found that many times, when I am in prayer about a decision and am being led back to a certain thought, often times it is the Holy Spirit at work in my heart, leading me to the Lord's will. If you are feeling led back to HOD and feeling unrest about your decision to use Sonlight this year, I'd continue to be in prayer and be ready for the Lord's leading to continue to be clearer and clearer. You'll know. I'm sure others will chime in, but here are a few links that may help in regard to your question...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8920&p=65267

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6204&p=45509#p45509

May the Lord lead you to the best decision for your family!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:25 am

I left Sonlight for HOD. For me, I wanted a program where God was at the center of each subject. Mind you, I only used SL's first 4 programs. But at such a young tender age, I found God was rarely mentioned out of bible study and that was not ok with me. I also felt like all we did was read. HOD has hands on activities that really add something, they aren't just time wasters. They are fun too and typically just use stuff around the house. There's still plenty of reading together, with increasing independence as they grow older. The TM is different, with daily boxes as compared to SL's weekly grid. You can see examples on HOD's website. Also, I found SL used books above the children's interest level. Plus they dealt with topics at too young of an age. There are some books that over lap, but HOD tend to use them later. An example would be A Child's History of the World. It's used for 6-8 year olds in SL, but for 8-10 year olds in HOD. A much better fit IMO. Search Sonlight here. Lots will pop up! Good luck with your choice:)
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

agstefko

Post by agstefko » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:13 pm

I have done SL Core P3/4-C with my oldest. I found HOD after trying to find something to combine my 2 oldest in and stumbled upon it. I am so thankful for the change that HOD has brought our way. The younger years feel a lot lighter in reading amount for the first years with HOD compared to SL, but what HOD uses is quality and they are learning in smaller increments so I've seen my dd retain more of what she has learned compared to my oldest. Also, I don't have to worry about censoring material. SL uses books that contain cartoon nudity and that was something I am not OK with and would color over, plus my 2nd dd is very sensitive so HOD waits till the children are a little older to expose them to the harsher realities of war and other topics that SL will throw at you from the start.
Another love for HOD is the activities they put into their guides. They are simple and reinforce what is learned plus the kids are learning some fine motor activity. I am a little ashamed to say but since we mostly just read with my oldest he struggles with simple things like cutting and gluing things that by this age he should not have that much problem with (slight oversight on my part :) )
Finally, with us having almost 5 kids HOD gradually starts teaching the kids to do some of their subjects independently. That is big for me since SL doesn't have the kids independent till high school really and having the kids do things independently is very helpful and saves time for me.
Amy married 12 great years to Tony and mom to
Noah 10, Kayla 8 BHFHG, Brie TRL, SM, Tony Jr 3, Nicholas 9 months