Supplement World Religions in WG guide?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
swansonacad

Supplement World Religions in WG guide?

Post by swansonacad » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:28 pm

I was explaining to my 13 yo son the content of the World Religion and Culture's study. He was concerned that he would not learn about the humanistic, atheistic Western culture. How can I meet this need for him? Are there any good resources? He is passionate about geology, theology, nature photography, and science from a Creationist view in general. He has developed 3 different web sites of his own related to these interests over the last 5 years. I want to help prepare him for whatever God's will is for his life, for the challenges he is likely to face. Any advice? Any supplements we could add to an already full year of school next year?
Thanks,
Debra

my3sons

Re: Supplement World Religions in WG guide?

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:28 pm

My ds is 14 yo, and we are in Unit 22 of the World Geography guide. He has thoroughly enjoyed the World Religions and Cultures study. The books he has read have really touched his heart and strengthened his own faith as he realizes how important being grounded in God's Word is. We have had the best discussions within this study, especially in light of his World Religions and Cultures Notebook. I see a real strength in reading books that show how people of various backgrounds have become Christians. The Lord leads people to Him through many different life circumstances - often times not easy ones. The books we have read in the study, as well as the Rooted and Grounded Bible Study we are doing, have truly been truly life changing. I think your ds would be able to apply what he is learning to reaching out to people who need the Lord - wherever they may be and in whatever they may believe or not believe. I just wanted to share how special this study has been to my son and to me. I think you and your ds will enjoy it too!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Molly

Post by Molly » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:40 pm

swansonacad wrote:He was concerned that he would not learn about the humanistic, atheistic Western culture. How can I meet this need for him? Are there any good resources?
Hi Debra,

I feel it is really important for our children to learn about the humanistic, atheistic Western culture too, but I doubt there are any individual books that would give you an understanding of this. I think we are surrounded by this culture in our everyday lives. I feel this is one of those things they will simply observe. As Julie said, it is more important for them to be well grounded in God's word. Perhaps as you go through the World Geography guide you could just discuss the things you see in the everyday, in the news, in the world in general. I'm not certain, but my children have friends from families who are not Christians, and so I'm imagining as they continue to grow, different aspects of issues within society/within the current culture will come up.

Anyway, I do hope that helps some.

Michelle
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

swansonacad

Post by swansonacad » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:26 pm

Thank you, Julie. I think it will be an awesome year of growth for him! After I posted that question, I realized that what he wants probably fits in worldview/apologetics (which will be studied in the last guide?). We are looking forward to WG. We're also looking forward to seeing you and Carrie in Cincinnati.
Thanks,
Debra