Question about order of Bible/ History/ Lang, etc.

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jsusgrl

Question about order of Bible/ History/ Lang, etc.

Post by jsusgrl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:53 pm

H Everyone:-)
I received my Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory Manual...YEAY!! I am just loving pouring over it and now I'm excited to start! Thank you Carrie for the quick shipment:-) I don't think I want to wait until end of August :)
I am just wondering if everyone follows the order of the boxes in the manual; Reading about History/ Poetry/ History Activity/ Bible study/ Lang. Arts/ Reading Choices/ storytime/ Math?
I am used to Bible time first, so i was just wondering how that would work? I noticed that the Bible time is often linked to the History topic with a connector at the end. So it seems it makes more sense to do the History reading first? it's just hard for me to think in that order because I'm so used to doing Bible first. Thanks so much for your insight and God bless you!!
In Christ,
Angie

netpea

Post by netpea » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:45 pm

We didn't do the boxes in order exactly this year. We usually did math first and then history and then the order varies, but art or science is usually last.

For the next year, I may stick more to the order, either way, I want a more defined schedule where we follow the same order every day.

:D

momto2grls

Post by momto2grls » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:28 pm

We have been doing the Language Arts/Math side 1st part of the day and the Learning through History side 2nd part of the day. This order works out best for us. When we do the Learning Through History half we do follow the boxes in order, it just seems to make more sense to us in the way it all ties together. Before we stared w/ HOD we also did Bible 1st, but dd seems to be ok with doing her Bible lesson mid-day. We do science last, because this seems to be what we spend most of our time on - dd loves science - lol. :D
Proud mom of 2 girls :
dd - 7yrs Bigger Hearts
dd - 3yrs Little Hands

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:40 pm

I like to do the memory verse & bible first. Then we do the 3 R's next because they are my dd's least favorite things to do. I save the read-alouds, science & history for last. It gives my dd something to look forward too. I have found with my dd that it is good to do things in the same order each day so she knows what to expect. HTH!

Gina
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

jsusgrl

Post by jsusgrl » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:07 am

Thank you Ladies:-)
That really does help. I know that we usually start with Bible and the 3 R's too, but then in the past, I would be too burnt out for the fun stuff so it would often get skipped!!:-( That's why I'm afraid to do ALL of the basics first.
I may have to start with the left side and see how the kids do with doing math next to last. I think we will end with DITHOR for a fun ending, so they still have soemthing to look forward to!
Thanks so much girls! You are such a blessing!
In Christ,
Angie

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:15 am

We just started Beyond last week and it's going great. We sit together and do the Bible portion first. Say the memory verse a few times and discuss, etc. Then we do History and the poem. After that I get him started on Handwriting. We are doing A reason For Handwriting A, for now. After that he has 30 min. of computer time, then back for Language Arts/spelling, science, geography,or art. Whichever is in that box. After that comes Math. Then later on right after my youngest goes down for a nap we do storytime and then he reads to me. This schedule has worked great for us. I still tie in the Bible verse and History. I just do it backwards. I thought it may not work well at first but it is. :D Hope that helps. It just takes a second to go over the Key point for a quick review too!
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:32 am

We do Bible first that just helps set the tone for the day. Plus when you do it first you do not feel rushed and it allows you to read what comes before and after what you are studying if you want. But I guess we usually do tend to do the left side then the right side. Although I have tried it other ways and do it other ways when need be, it all seems to work. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:34 am

We've done it different ways, and I have come to the conclusion that my dc need to do Math early in their day, especially my ds. However, I really want to start our day with Bible study and prayer, so I think next year we will follow a schedule like this:

*Morning prayer and requests
*Music
*Bible Study
*Math
*History/History Notebooking
*Geography/Art/Vocab./History Activity/Timeline
*Poetry
*Language Arts
*Science
*DITHOR
*Health/Spanish
*Storytime

Obviously, I will have to see how it goes. We'll tweak it a bit, and since ds is using the extension pack he'll be doing some of that while I work with my daughter and other ds (LHTH). But this is my plan for now!

Benelli

Post by Benelli » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:52 am

We're not doing Beyond, we are doing Bigger. But, my son really loves the Bible square, and looks very forward to it. So, we do math and handwriting first, then usually either History or Bible - his choice. So then, he gets the tough stuff done right away and gets the reward of History and Bible! Then, back to his R&S English - another thing he's not so fond of! Then, another reward - his Science... Usually, we do our Reading/Storytime last in our day. That's our cuddle up on the couch and wind down from the school day.

So, in short, we jump around all over the plan to keep him engaged well!

That's what works for us!
Lisa, Mama to 7 -

PHFHG with Ben (9) and Ellie (11) with extensions
BLHFHG half-speed with Sophie (8) and Anthony (7) with Emerging Readers and Draw*Write*Now
LHFHG with Thomas (7) and Nicholas (5) with Emerging Readers
and Lily Jane (2) tagging along

skillet04

Post by skillet04 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:32 am

hope it's ok to say the Charlotte Mason even changed up the order of the "subjects" in her schools.

so feel free to order your day as best fits your family.
Swylv :cry:
Praying for another child since june 2002 -- you'd cry too, even DS cries to be a big brother.
DS 07/2001 -- BLHFHG for the 08-09 year
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/noahsmom

jessyb26

Post by jessyb26 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:54 am

I put all of the materials/books we need on the desk and my daughter picks which activity she wants to start with. When that is finished we put that book away and she chooses the next activity. It also helps her to see the stack getting smaller on those days she is wiggly. For right now she is really enjoying picking the order of activities. Bible study and science are usually last since dh works with her on those.