Another returning HOD'er...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my2guys

Another returning HOD'er...

Post by my2guys » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:18 pm

I've noticed the last few months that there are a number of people returning to HOD, and this family is one of them. We have been away from HOD for about a year and a half and will be starting full time in the fall with CTC for my 5th grader and Bigger for my 3rd grader. I originally took a year off to give my boys a little time to mature into the next guides and get them to the upper end of the range. We did a state history and nature study that year in the same pattern as HOD, still using the recommended resources for math/English and using a lot of the story time/DITHOR books set in New York. It was a good year combining them in history/science/storytime/poetry, but I was all set to return this past fall with Beyond for my 2nd grader and Preparing for my 4th grader. Anyway, I'm not sure what happened (temporary insanity? :wink: ), but we ended up going a different direction over the summer with a curriculum that allowed my to keep combining my boys. The funny thing is, I prayed about the change and felt at peace with it....for about 2 months. Long about November, I started to realize that my oldest was being held back and while combining had worked well for their 1st/3rd grade years, they were miles apart in 2nd/4th grade. And I wasn't good at coming up with ways to challenge my older son while not pushing my younger son past where he should be. It was then that I started looking through Preparing (yes, I had bought it last spring and just couldn't bear to part with it, so it was still sitting on my shelf :oops: ). At first we thought we would just finish the year out with what we had and then start back in the fall with CTC and Bigger. But those wonderful books kept calling to me. I realized that Preparing was exactly what my older son needed right now and after a few days of discussion with my hubby, we decided we were going to start in with Preparing and see how it went. Well, we're still doing Preparing and I have pulled out Beyond for my 2nd grader. I'm still utilizing some of what we started out with this year because it's actually just a geography study, but it is very clear to us that HOD is where we belong long term. Having the boys mostly separated for school is what is going to work best in this family for the long run. (Although my younger guy will always end up showing up on the couch when we start to read our Preparing history. :lol: But he enjoys having his own "mom time" too. As a matter of fact, a few days after I started Preparing with my oldest, my younger son asked if he was going to have his own school time alone with me. :D ) Yep, I think this is going to be just what we need. Why the detour this year? Not sure, but I'm thinking maybe the Lord just wanted to make it clear that my boys each needed their own guide suited to exactly where they each are academically. And HOD is it. So happy to be back!
Sharon
2017-2018
Ben (14yo) 8th with MTMM
and
Sam (12yo) 6th with RTR
Have already used and enjoyed: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR & Rev to Rev

psreit

Re: Another returning HOD'er...

Post by psreit » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:03 pm

Glad to see some more 'old-timers' back. :lol: I am excited about what 2014 holds for us. 2013 was a major adjustment period for us. It's like a blur to me now. Like you, I have questioned why I made certain choices this past year, but whether those choices were good or not so good, 'all things worked together for good', so I would clearly see how I needed to approach my struggling daughter's education. God gave me what I needed, even when I made impulsive decisions. I'm happy that He put me back on the HOD path. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:40 pm

Welcome back! We just returned after a couple of years away and are loving it!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

tlb81003

Post by tlb81003 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:18 pm

Welcome back! I am a first time HOD'er and loving it. Seeing the amount of families coming back is encouraging to me.

mshanson3121

Post by mshanson3121 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:46 pm

We're returning as well! We let go of LHFHG for my son (grade 1) before Christmas, we just weren't feeling it, and we were using our own science, math and phonics. But, honestly, we've missed it, and are returning! Can't wait! We start back next week. Our daughter just started LHTH last week.

Sue G in PA

Post by Sue G in PA » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:29 pm

We took the year off from HOD as well. Not b/c we were unhappy with it, not at all. We are part of a co-op (which we love) that chose to do history and science as 2 of its core classes and I just couldn't make HOD work alongside the curriculum our co-op chose for American History. I was sad b/c my oldest son was moving into MtMM and I really, really wanted to use that. I thought I could still use Bigger for my 3rd and 5th graders and started out the year doing just that. BUT, then life issues happened and I couldn't keep up the pace. I am anxiously looking forward to next year when I will be using Preparing again, this time with my rising 4th and 6th grader and possibly the new Geography Guide with my rising 9th and 11th graders. I haven't decided for them, though. HOD was a great fit for the rising 9th grader but not the 11th grader. And I really want to combine them. Plus, we don't know what classes our co-op will choose for next year. Anyway…welcome back, lol. We are excited for another year with HOD.