OT (a little): Anyone want to share your daily schedule??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MarciaA

OT (a little): Anyone want to share your daily schedule??

Post by MarciaA » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:13 pm

I just read Managers of Their Homes and it sounds great and all, but implementing may pose quite a challenge for this very unscheduled mama!

Anyone want to share you daily schedule with LHTHG with me to get me started?

Or..any advice in general about plans to get through the day with a wild and crazy climbing 1 year old, a "never want to sit" K boy and a brand new HS mommy???
Homeschooling Mommy in NC to
Jackson, K
and one wild 1 year old, Carson

netpea

Post by netpea » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:41 pm

Here's an old thread that might be helpful:
http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/view ... light=tips

I got MOTH last august but didn't get it implemented. I am not working on a summer schedule and hope to use MOTH to get our family organized for fall. :D

I like the idea, but I struggle with committing to the schedule I create. :oops:

No wonder, my kids are the same way. :D

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:45 pm

Well, one good thing is that LHFHG is only supposed to take about an hour to do, so you won't have to worry about the 1 year old getting into stuff all day...and it should be short enough for your K'er to sit through. I would suggest having some activities picked out for your little one to do during 'school time'. Maybe sorting toys, board books, have him/her sit in a highchair and play with water toys in a small tub of water (if you're adventurous!), playdough if he/she won't eat it, snack time, etc. I would also suggest letting your K'er hold something like silly putty or playdough if he needs something to do with his hands while you're reading. I often let my older two do this, with the rule being that they have to be able to answer questions and interact when necessary. If not, then they have to just sit and listen; no drawing or anything else. It works well for us.

It seems daunting when you first begin, but you'll get the hang of hs'ing very quickly, and you'll learn what works for your family and what doesn't! I'm sure you'll get some other good pointers from the ladies here. Welcome!

shera

Post by shera » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:55 am

I don't have a schedule per se but I have read MOTH and try and follow more of a routine. This way I am not constantly looking at the clock and wondering if we are behind. I think that might be easier for you since you have little ones that require flexibility.

Generally speaking, our mornings look something like this
Get up
Fix lunch for dh
Fix coffee and breakfast for kiddos
Computer
School stuff (we usually start with "couch stuff first" so history and read aloud)
Chores

HTH
Sarah
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd8/04

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:54 am

I just read MOTH too and really enjoyed it. Until this year we did great without it. But, my children needed much more structure to their day. I took a long time creating one and left afternoons open. I also left extra time for everthing so that when the baby comes in September it won't throw us off. Last week was our first week on the schedule and we also started school. It went great! The kids seemed to like having more structured time and there was no arguing or fighting! We did finish up way ahead of schedule, but that's fine. I'm sure after the baby comes we'll do good to stay on. I'm not using the strict time except for chore time for myself and computer time for the kids. I do set timers during those times.

With your school time I would set aside the 90 minutes to complete LHFHG or break it up into two parts. Then have activities for your one year old planned during that time. Maybe even playpen time for 15-30 minutes with music playing while you do the reading. I would teach reading during the younger ones nap time for the best concentration. Then the seatwork could be done during snacktime for your one year old and let your older one eat a snack after completing work.

Hope this helps.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:57 am

Well, I just got home from my planning weekend! I am very excited about my new schedule. I am getting ready to share my whole weekend but will share the overall schedule here: :D (excited smile)

Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:49 pm

WOW MamaMary, I can only dream of that kind of organization. I have always wondered how people who have more than two kids are able to devote time to each child's individual learning....now I know. It makes my head spin (in a good way!!!!)

Perhaps I ought to give a shedule a try. I know we are doing preschool which is more unstructured but with day care, it should help to have those days planned out at least a little.

Thanks for the idea.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:14 pm

I have MOTH and I am working on our new year now. Currently I have a 3 days of school that consists mostly of circle time. After breakfast we have clean-up and chores (cleaning) Then it's circle time. I read the devotional while everyone colors and discuss. Then it's handwriting time (one learning cursive and the others learning to write), and I get our the cursiner rods for math. We read books through out the day.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

moedertje

Schedule for LHFHG

Post by moedertje » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:44 pm

I started LHFHG in February and have been loving it. So does my son who is 5. We are in unit 20.

I received my MOTH yesterday and started reading this morning after my devotions. I have two friends who have implemented it and it works for them. I am so excited!

I also have a 3 year old boy and a 1 year old girl. All my kids get up around or before 7am. So I have to beat them to it if I want to do my devotions, so I can learn to be the "Meek and Quiet" homeschooling mom. That is another good book that goes hand in hand with MOTH.

I usually start early since my 5 yr old is a busy one and do math, handwriting and phonics work pages, finding the answers right after breakfast and the 2 little ones play in the playroom.

Than I move into, bible songs, prayer and bible verses, rhyme in motion and involve my 3 and 1 yr old. When the baby goes to bed I send the 5 yr old for his personal time to do devotions and pray (He reads now so I have him copy down 3 words out of his bible story). He can't read everything on his own yet.

At this time I do pre-school with my 3yr old son for about 20 minutes. Sometimes he joins in for read a louds or science activities later on.

Somewhere in between the two boys have free time for recess to play outside or inside and I can do some laundry, dishes or whatever needs done.

Than my 3 yr old goes and plays on his own or goes to daddy's office in back and I finish with science, history etc......

I also keep a "memory box" for things I want my 5yr old to keep on remembering throughout the year. We check it daily. It's a need system.

Than it's lunch time and after this the baby hangs out with my 5 yr old so I can do individual reading time with the 3yr old in his room and put him down for a nap.

Next I put my 5 yr old for rest time or he goes on errands with dad, spend time with the baby. Than she naps again and I have some time for myself to rest, read, research or nap.

My schedule will be a lot better after I use the MOTH system, because I will be able to have my chores in there etc.

I hope this helps, I am a little long winded, but that comes because of English not being my first language.
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.