LOVE Little Hands to Heaven - THANK YOU

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mshanson3121

LOVE Little Hands to Heaven - THANK YOU

Post by mshanson3121 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:15 pm

I just can't thank you for this program enough, truly from the bottom of my heart.

Well, we're very freshly into it (just finished day 3 of unit 1, today), but, I have to say I am in instant love.

My DD is 3.5, and I've been wanting to start doing a little preschool work with her. She is extremely smart, and has a phenomenal memory, however she has ASD (high functioning), and has delays in receptive language. She is an extremely literal thinker, and questions have to be posed in a very short, black/white manner for her to understand. She also has some behaviors of course, and has a very short attention span. I originally wanted to use LHTH, but at that time with my husband newly laid off, we didn't have the money, so we tried something else at the first of December, and it was... so-so. After several failed attempts we gave up on it. It was disappointing because she WANTS to do lessons (she sees her big brother doing them with Mommy, while she has her ABA), but to just sit her down and do workbooks, isn't going to cut it.

Well... this week, I was gifted a copy of Little Hands to Heaven!!! It arrived Monday. And as luck would have it, last month at a library sale I found a copy of Big Thoughts for Little People. Plus we already have a children's Bible, so we're just making do without the cd.

I can't even begin to tell you how much we have enjoyed these first few days. She INSTANTLY enjoyed it. It's the perfect length for her attention span. She loves the Fingerplay, and her big brother has been joining in as well. Honestly, we haven't come across anything yet that she hasn't enjoyed. She's spent the last two days asking to do her lessons. And... my daughter, who has resisted close contact, cuddling etc... since she was a baby (I have only rocked her to sleep once in her life), who NEVER sits in my (or anyone's lap) to read a book, is climbing into my lap while I read the Bible story. I can't begin to tell you how that makes me feel.

I know this is a blessing - us receiving this curriculum. To be able to spend this time with her, myself teaching her - instead of it all coming from therapists, to have her learning about God, to see the enthusiasm on her face, the cuddling... it's an amazing feeling of peace.

I attached a copy of her "A" artwork that we did today.
small.jpg
small.jpg (214.31 KiB) Viewed 1114 times

mshanson3121

Re: LOVE Little Hands to Heaven - THANK YOU

Post by mshanson3121 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:17 pm

Sorry the picture's so big... I don't know how to make it smaller?

FiveLittlePeaches

Re: LOVE Little Hands to Heaven - THANK YOU

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Isn't HOD just wonderful? I'm so glad you're pleased and that it's working well for you both.

We've been using HOD for years now, and there are times when I'm just speechless.

I hope your joy continues throughout the program!