We started Science in Bigger today

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tracee

We started Science in Bigger today

Post by Tracee » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:41 pm

We started science in Bigger today, and I was stumped. It took me awhile to figure out how the moon affected the tides. When the moon is directly overhead or directly below us, the earths water and crust are pulled making the earth more oval. It is like if you had a balloon and wanted to pull one side of it, it would actually cause the balloon to become an oval. Both of those areas at the point where the moon is directly overhead and directly below is high tide. The flatter side of the oval is when it is low tide. Because the earth makes one complete rotation in a day, we have 2 high tides and 2 low tides. Does this sound right? Whoa my head hurts.
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

MelInKansas

Re: We started Science in Bigger today

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:41 pm

I am not very knowledgable about this either, but that is basically what I got out of it too. I didn't even explain it that thoroughly to my DD, and I remember learning about it a long time ago so that seems right.

I'm sure there is some really good online resource about tides, anyone?
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven