Need help with Singapore 1B

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
deut6family

Need help with Singapore 1B

Post by deut6family » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Hey!

I am needing helping with teaching a portion of the Singapore 1B. So far my daughter is doing really well- she only gets really frustrated when we get to one section of this workbook, and now that we are reviewing it again and she still struggles I thought I would see if anyone has an idea of "another" way to teach this concept to help her understand it. Here is an example of a problem that she is struggling with:

8+3=____
18+3=____

It is basically dealing with the re-grouping of the tens because 8+3 changes the tens in the second problem. I don't feel like this was taught well in Singapore and I think this is a pretty BIG concept to learn. Should I worry to much about her "getting" it now.. .or in Singapore 2 is it taught better with the "carrying" of ones and re-grouping?

Thanks so much!

Sarah Anderson

Tracee

Re: Need help with Singapore 1B

Post by Tracee » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:50 pm

I would make sure she gets this concept. My daughter had some trouble getting this also, and I wouldn't let her move on until she got it. Do you have any base ten blocks? The one thing that really helped my daughter was an abacus. She would sit and play with it and it started to sink in that if 8+3 is 11 then 18(which is 10 and 8 )+3 is 21. It was so easy to see on the abacus, because she only had to move over one more row of 10 and you can clearly see it is 21. I'm not sure if I explained it very well, but we tried the base ten blocks, and she would get it sometimes with blocks, but she totally got it with the abacus.
DS 12
DD 10/DS 10

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:42 pm

If you don't have the two "tools" Tracee mentioned, you can also do something similar with Legos or similar building blocks. Make them into sticks of 10 and add that way.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Molly

Post by Molly » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Are you following Carrie's hands on activities in Beyond? I found they were great with my boy grasping this concept.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Hi Sarah! What unit/day are you on in the Beyond guide? We're doing Beyond now, and I've done it 2 previous times with my older dc, so I think I can help better if I know where you are in the guide. Thanks!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie