HOD crush

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kteni

HOD crush

Post by Kteni » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:58 pm

So, we have unit one under our belt. It has been SUCH an amazing week! I was nervous about running 3 guides but they are very well planned. In fact, I have a curriculum crush! My little didn't do all his activities each day but that will come. My children are totally enjoying doing their own guides (which is new for us not to teach everything together) and just coming together for a few things each week.
My Legoboy is eager to read on the emerging reader track (Praise The Lord) and LOVES Pioneers and Patriots. We did read a bit ahead one day because he just HAD to know how the storm worked out. Morning Bells is brilliant! It stirred such a great conversation. He came up with good actions for his bible verse when I was unsure how that would fly. I can see this is a great fit for him and look forward to seeing him grow this year.
Yarngirl is just challenged the right amount with out being stressed over writing. She has created beautiful notebooking pages on the tundra and from her Draw Through History assignments. She did up a great science experiment page. She was at ease doing her written narration for Grandpa's Box (YES!) and we are loving that story. She is engaged in her learning this week and I am SO HAPPY to see it. The variety of activity and the richness of the books used is awesome. She commented to me that normally she doesn't like English, but maybe that might change :shock: :D
LHTH, well. What a happy little program this is. Seeing Tractorboy do his white crayon tempera painting and really concentrate on it was priceless. He is so happy to have "his school" and "his book".
Thank you Carrie. Your work is just amazing. It has taken stress of me and filled our classroom with an academic atmosphere that is so enjoyable. I feel like the goals I have for my children's education are being exceeded, not just met. I love the Charlotte Mason method woven in, the scripture saturation, the manageable assignments spread through out, and that it is well laid out for me to lead. Thank you for inspiring me as a home school mama. I am blessed by your hard work, thank you.
hugs, us.
in {heart} 17 years
yarngirl 14- CTC w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
legoboy 11 - Bigger w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
tractorboy 5 - LHTH 1/2 speed
camobaby 3 - tractorboy's shadow

my3sons

Re: HOD crush

Post by my3sons » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:04 pm

What a healthy crush to have! :lol: :lol: :lol: This was just such an encouragement to read, and I am passing it on to Carrie.And here is a compliment for YOU - the mama's attitude sets the tone for the day - hats off to you for choosing to delight in your homeschooling! :D I find it a comfort to get back to enjoying homeschooling now. We had our first day today, and amidst the difficulties in the rest of our lives right now, homeschooling is a beacon of light, plugging us all right into the Lord's provision and goodness each day. Thank you for sharing with us here! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:12 pm

We're using the same 3 guides this year :) So glad to hear this wonderful testimony! (I have a crush on HOD too!)
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory

Kteni

Post by Kteni » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:53 am

Well, enjoy lissiejo! We are having fun. Week 2 closes and I am totally happy. We have had another great week.
in {heart} 17 years
yarngirl 14- CTC w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
legoboy 11 - Bigger w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
tractorboy 5 - LHTH 1/2 speed
camobaby 3 - tractorboy's shadow

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:38 pm

I can't say enough good things about Carrie's tie-ins of history, Bible, poetry, etc. It is just excellent. I love to ask my kids, "Why do you think she picked this poem (or memory verse) this week? How does it fit with the history?"

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

mothermayi

Post by mothermayi » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:39 pm

This is very encouraging news! Thank you for sharing! I am new to HOD, as we just made the decision to switch two days ago :-).

Married to dh 13 years
ds12--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 6/7/8
ds10--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 4/5
dd5y11mo--MFW K, ETC 3, MMM/SM, A Beka Cursive--Looking forward to beginning HOD!
dd3.5--HOD LHTH 1/2 speed

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:11 pm

Kteni,

Your post blessed my heart tonight! :D I'm praising the Lord with you and your good start to your year! :D Thank you for your words of encouragement. They are just what I needed this evening. :D

I pray the Lord may richly bless you as we share the HOD path together. :D

Blessings,
Carrie