R&S English 3 schedule???

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kteni

R&S English 3 schedule???

Post by Kteni » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:48 pm

another newbie question...

So, my son has all ready done R&S English 2 but he is going to be doing Beyond this year. It uses lessons from 2.

1- is there a list made that tells how to sub in the next level of English in?

2- How many times per unit do they get assigned R&S 3 in the Bigger guide?

3- Do they end up doing all the lessons from R&S 3 in the Bigger year?

any help would be appreciated :D
in {heart} 17 years
yarngirl 14- CTC w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
legoboy 11 - Bigger w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
tractorboy 5 - LHTH 1/2 speed
camobaby 3 - tractorboy's shadow

pjdobro

Re: R&S English 3 schedule???

Post by pjdobro » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Actually R&S 2 isn't scheduled until Bigger then it is scheduled at one lesson per day with reviews spread out over 2 days and the book is covered in its entirety. Beyond has once a week grammar lessons that are written in the guide. Since we had done those while doing LHFHG, we did R&S2 with Beyond at one lesson a day. Then when we did Bigger, we did R&S3 at one lesson per day spreading the reviews out over 2 days. In Preparing either R&S3 or R&S4 is chosen and both are scheduled.

Since you've already done R&S2 and are just doing Beyond, I'm not for sure what to tell you. Are you combining him with a younger sibling? How old is your ds?
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Kteni

Post by Kteni » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:38 pm

eek, you are right! How did I get confused on that? oh dear.

well, my son is 8 and a late reader. we will be doing the emerging reader tack in Beyond. He also needs to learn about explorers this year as one of the learning outcomes. There were a few other things in Beyond that lined up with his socials and science learning outcomes that influenced choosing Beyond. But mostly his reading and writing level that placed him in it. We happened to use R&S 2 this passed year with me reading it and him doing copywork from it.

What to do, what to do....
in {heart} 17 years

farmfamily

Post by farmfamily » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:20 pm

We did R&S 3 last year in Beyond with my then 8 year-old that I was combining with a younger sibling. We just did a lesson a day as pp has suggested. I don't think it matters much if the child is doing a R&S level above what's in the guide. Just complete one level a year or half a level if it gets tough (I think in later guides Carrie only schedules 1/2 a level per year for a few guides). It's working great so far for us! This year my dd is doing R&S 4 in Bigger though it's not scheduled. It is easy to do just a lesson a day.
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:35 pm

I think what I might do in your case is to do R&S3 at half pace so that you cover half of it this year and the second half next year with Bigger. That way when you get to Preparing you could do R&S4 as scheduled. So you could either do a lesson every other day or do 1/2 a lesson a day. You could wait and slow down to half-speed later on too if full speed seems to fit well now. Then you would do R&S3 this year with Beyond, the first half of R&S4 with Bigger, and the second half of R&S4 with Preparing. Then you would be on track to follow the schedule in CTC doing the first half of R&S5. I'm thinking though if your ds is an emerging reader, it might be better to slow down the grammar now and let his reading skills catch up a bit. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Kteni

Post by Kteni » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:12 pm

thank you PJ and FarmFam,
I like the idea of 1/2 pace and letting him catch up in reading and writing. Low pressure but we can pick up the pace when he is ready. Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it. ❤
in {heart} 17 years