Singapore Math?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mothermayi

Singapore Math?

Post by mothermayi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:30 pm

I've posted this in another forum but I was hoping to get more views on Singapore Math.

Are you using Singapore Math? If you didn't begin SM in kindy, how was it switching an older child to the SM method? I have a child that use to love math but hate the different curriculum choices (Saxon, Rod and Staff, MUS). I'm wondering if SM would work but I hear the methodology takes some getting use to. He placed in 3A but should we consider doing 2B so he can get use to the method while doing easier work? My son is going into 5th grade (technically a 4th grader but working a year ahead). How will he get caught up in SM without getting burned out? Also, where would he go after Singapore (besides Saxon)? What are some other strong math programs that go throughout high school?

Thanks for your help! We have to make a decision soon. We begin school in two weeks :shock: .

Married to dh 13 years
ds12--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 6/7/8
ds10--Began CTC 10/28/13!!, DITHOR 4/5
dd5y11mo--MFW K, ETC 3, MMM/SM, A Beka Cursive--Looking forward to beginning HOD!
dd3.5--HOD LHTH 1/2 speed

Molly

Re: Singapore Math?

Post by Molly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:54 pm

I would place him in 3A. We switched a little over a year ago from MUS. My oldest was 11 at the time and I put her in 4A and she is now doing 5A, whereas my then 9yr old started in 2A and is nearly ready to start 4A. She was able to work through at a faster pace. I am not worried about where they are at, more concerned that they have a good understanding. I figure if they don't get to calculus it doesn't matter. What matters is they know what they do well. Anyway, hope that helps some.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

mothermayi

Post by mothermayi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks for the tidbits :D .

My son wants to major in science (perhaps chemistry) so he would need calculus in high school. He would need to work hard in the summers to "catch up" using SM. We're okay with catching up on just two books because we typically do math during the summer anyway. I keep hearing that SM is very abstract. Do you feel this way, too? If so, can you give some examples? I've been waiting for the company to return my call to no avail. I've been calling SM everyday, only to get voice mail and no return call :roll: .

Thanks!

Married to dh 13 years
dd5y11mo--MFW K, ETC 3, MMM/SM, A Beka Cursive--Looking forward to beginning HOD!

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:26 am

First, your student is only a fourth grader (even if works above grade level), so placing in 3A is not "behind". Many kids have gone on to Algebra after Singapore 6B. That means your child could still do Algebra in 8th grade if he completed a year's worth of Singapore each year. Singapore really stresses mental math and problem solving. I am having trouble leaving a link, but if you go to Missions to Modern Marvels and click on packages and scroll down you will find math choices. Forester's Algebra is also listed under the math choices for the new high school geography guide.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:10 am

So, it sounds like what you have tried isn't working, so switching to Singapore isn't a bad idea. Singapore is on level with Abeka and Horizons - which is about 1 year ahead of other curriculums. So, as long as he is only 1 "number" behind his actual grade, he is going to be fine. As far as taking Calculus in high school, that isn't necessarily important. What is more important is him being ready to take Calculus 1 as a freshman in college. Most science degree plans are set up this way. And yet, it is still possible to graduate in 4 years with a degree in anything but math and physics starting with College Algebra (you could possibly do math or physics, but it is a lot harder). My husband graduated in 4 years starting with College Algebra with a degree in electrical engineering. His brother graduated in 4 years (plus summer school) with a degree in mechanical engineering starting with intermediate algebra and failing Cal 1 the first time through.

So, what I am saying is just don't stress about the future. The key is for him to learn and retain the math at his current level. The more he understands now, the better. I get so many kids in my college math classes (I teach part time for our local community college) that have so many holes in basic skills. And these holes prevent them from succeeding in math (which holds them back in EVERYTHING some times)
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

mothermayi

Post by mothermayi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks everyone!

StephanieU,
I totally get what you mean! I am always surprised by the number of adults that don't know fractions. As for the calculus comment I made earlier, the schools my son loves require calculus in high school in order to do certain majors or to just get in. My son researched it and planned out his whole college career LOL! He is the total opposite of me at that age, that is for sure :-). Of course, he still thinks I am moving into his dorm with him ;-) so who knows....hahaha

Married to dh 13 years

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:37 pm

mothermayi wrote:Thanks everyone!

StephanieU,
I totally get what you mean! I am always surprised by the number of adults that don't know fractions. As for the calculus comment I made earlier, the schools my son loves require calculus in high school in order to do certain majors or to just get in. My son researched it and planned out his whole college career LOL! He is the total opposite of me at that age, that is for sure :-). Of course, he still thinks I am moving into his dorm with him ;-) so who knows....hahaha
Just out of curiosity, what colleges require Calculus? I know some recommend it, but I haven't heard of any that require it.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

mothermayi

Post by mothermayi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:39 pm

He really has his heart on MIT. Imagine my shock when he presented his plans to me. He is very serious about it. He took two science classes plus a chem lab (for 12-15 yr olds) last year. And yes, things could change ;-)..

Either way, like you said, it is most important to make sure the foundation is solid and that is what we plan to do. :D

Married to dh 13 years