credits for State History

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
learning_is_fun

credits for State History

Post by learning_is_fun » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:05 pm

Hi! I am planning on using the MtMM guide with my 9th grader this year, and trying to figure out possible credits and what I may need to change up. I saw that in our state we are required to have 1/2 credit in state history. I was wondering if the state history that goes along with this guide would cover 1/2 credit, or if I would need to go with something different, such as switched-on-schoolhouse or a local community college course. I don't want to have to change up too much and make our days too time consuming (and we are slow), but I also want to make sure he is getting the required credits done.

Also, am looking at ordering the new guide, for him to do that science, and possibly the BJU literature. Will this be too much? (almost makes me consider skipping the MtMM guide, and ordering the whole new guide, but he hasn't studied any modern times yet, and although I would love to do all the High School guides, I'd hate for him not to get to that time period at all until his senior year!) Any thoughts?

Thank you so much for any input!!!
Stephannie
DS13--Rev to Rev
DS11--CTC

learning_is_fun

credit for State History??? and a few other ???s

Post by learning_is_fun » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:12 pm

After reading through some other posts, I'm thinking I will just use DITHOR for literature this next year. He hasn't completed most of the higher level (he did a co-op lit. class last year using an Abeka curriculum). I just may need some help with literature selections. (Last year he read Pride and Prejudice, A Christmas Carol, Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, and I just cannot remember what else right now. I'm going to have to look back through his stuff.)
How necessary would it be for us to have the new guide if we are just using the science out of it? I'm guessing it would be difficult for me to line up the lessons and labs on my own? And is there other instruction or planning in there that would make it tough to live without? I hate to purchase the extra guide right now if I really don't need to (although I'm super excited to look through it!!!).
Still wondering about the state study, whether it is 1/2 credit worthy, or whether I need to use something else. I read somewhere that they need to know the state constitution. Is that covered in the state study? I am hoping I will be able to save up to send him to TeenPact this year (or at least one of his High School years). Wondering if that, along with the state study, would make it credit worthy??? It doesn't matter if stuff is spread over a few years does it, as long as it adds up to the credit they need?
One more question......I've seen it suggested to beef up the economics for an economics credit, but if possible, I'd rather wait until he's a little more mature. Would it be feasible to wait and squeeze in somewhere later, or does it just make a lot more sense to get it out of the way now, while he's already studying up on the topic some?
A lot of questions, I know. Just trying to figure out this High School stuff! I am terrified, but so thankful for those that have gone before me and can answer my questions! :) And for wonderful curriculum!
Stephannie
DS13--Rev to Rev
DS11--CTC

my3sons

Re: credit for State History??? and a few other ???s

Post by my3sons » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:54 pm

learning_is_fun wrote:After reading through some other posts, I'm thinking I will just use DITHOR for literature this next year. He hasn't completed most of the higher level (he did a co-op lit. class last year using an Abeka curriculum). I just may need some help with literature selections. (Last year he read Pride and Prejudice, A Christmas Carol, Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, and I just cannot remember what else right now. I'm going to have to look back through his stuff.)
How necessary would it be for us to have the new guide if we are just using the science out of it? I'm guessing it would be difficult for me to line up the lessons and labs on my own? And is there other instruction or planning in there that would make it tough to live without? I hate to purchase the extra guide right now if I really don't need to (although I'm super excited to look through it!!!).
Still wondering about the state study, whether it is 1/2 credit worthy, or whether I need to use something else. I read somewhere that they need to know the state constitution. Is that covered in the state study? I am hoping I will be able to save up to send him to TeenPact this year (or at least one of his High School years). Wondering if that, along with the state study, would make it credit worthy??? It doesn't matter if stuff is spread over a few years does it, as long as it adds up to the credit they need?
One more question......I've seen it suggested to beef up the economics for an economics credit, but if possible, I'd rather wait until he's a little more mature. Would it be feasible to wait and squeeze in somewhere later, or does it just make a lot more sense to get it out of the way now, while he's already studying up on the topic some?
A lot of questions, I know. Just trying to figure out this High School stuff! I am terrified, but so thankful for those that have gone before me and can answer my questions! :) And for wonderful curriculum!
How exciting to be looking forward to high school! :D I'm so thankful for HOD's help in this area. As far as your questions, I do think using DITHOR should work just fine for ds's 9th grade year. Here are some helps for lit suggestions...

DITHOR Titles for High School:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7765&p=56997#p56997

For the science, personally I'd 100% get the new guide. :D You will thank the Lord for it every day you aren't figuring it out solo. :wink: Also, just let HOD know you ordered the new guide ahead of time. They will look up your purchase and give you the Economy Package price and credit you back the difference. I'd personally do Economics along with MTMM, as it will be an easier time to do it. Here are Carrie's ideas on this...

We are going to be including the book Whatever Happened to Penny Candy? and Common Sense Business for Kids in MTMM. Students will read one chapter each week from these economics-related resources and write a one-sentence or one line economic principle that they gained from the reading in their Student Notebook each week. These books do a great job of getting kiddos to begin thinking about economics, and this type of thinking pairs so well with the study of history from 1880 (or so) forward to present day.

While this is only the beginning of an economics study, it would be a good time for high school students planning to use MTMM to add more to the study for high school credit in economics. This could be done by adding the Bluestocking Guide to Economics and the books that go with it. Hazelett's Economics in One Lesson is another good, short book to consider. Another excellent economics course to consider adding would be R.C. Sproul Jr's Biblical Economics. Another painless way to add to the Economics would be to do Notgrass Economics. Our own oldest son is doing that his junior year. One last economics option would be materials from Financial Peace University,however this falls more under the "Finance" heading for credit (so it would only work if your state allows a choice of doing Economics OR Finance). So, there are several ways you could go about adding enough for .5 of an economics credit for high school students doing MTMM (as the base will already be scheduled in the guide as a springboard).

Blessings,
Carrie

I am not sure about the State Study. I will try to find out and get back to you! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: credits for State History

Post by Carrie » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:25 pm

As far as the state history study goes, I know the study that we recommend does go up through the high school grades, however to earn .5 of a credit you typically need at least 70 hours of instruction. I would guess that there is about 30-35 hours of instruction in the state history study as scheduled in our guide, so you would need another 35 or so hours or so to make it worth .5 of a credit. :D
TeenPact may be one way to do this.

The state constitution is not covered in the state study, so you would definitely need to add that. You may just want to look at the requirements for your state and see what needs to be covered for your state study, and then add in those areas to earn your extra time. It is possible that some sort of state focused research project could be done as part of that time as well. There are suggestions in the Appendix of the Teacher's Guide of the state study for going deeper that you could definitely consider. You could have your student work on these "extension" areas on the free 5th day throughout the year to spread our the extra time needed to complete them. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

learning_is_fun

Post by learning_is_fun » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Thank you so much, Julie and Carrie, for getting back to me on my many questions. You have been a huge help!

I've actually already placed my order, and thankfully I did go ahead and order the new guide. :D I can't wait to see it all.

I love all the recommendations you gave for making the economics credit worthy, and think I will go ahead and try to fit it in. Is there one of them you would recommend as being the simplest to incorporate for a 9th grader?

For state history, I may still look into the community college as an option, but I'm thinking the suggestions you gave will be doable. We'll just have to put a little extra effort and research into it. Your estimated times for it helped tremendously. Thank you so much!!

Thank you for the literature suggestions for DITHOR. I thought I had decided on just using the DITHOR for lit., and keeping the literature you use with each guide for that guide, but now I'm going back to thinking I may use the new guide lit. Would it be better to keep the literature lined up with each time period being studied as you plan on doing in the high school guides, and use DITHOR this year, or to do the new guide lit. and get in all 4 years of your scheduled high school lit.? Any thoughts???

I still have a few more decisions to make, but am getting closer to feeling like we may be able to do this high school thing! :) I am thankful for HOD and for you both taking the time to help me out!!! Looking forward to receiving our box and digging in! :)

Stephannie
Stephannie
DS13--Rev to Rev
DS11--CTC

basesloaded

Post by basesloaded » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:54 am

Can you tell me what the books are that "go with" Bluestocking Guide to Economics? I am having a hard time figuring that out.

Thanks!
Suzy in Eastern NC
Momma of boys 11th grade, 9th & 4th
HS World History, HS Geo & Preparing

glperky

Post by glperky » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:21 am

basesloaded wrote:Can you tell me what the books are that "go with" Bluestocking Guide to Economics? I am having a hard time figuring that out.

Thanks!
I am having a hard time with that too!

I would also like to know the the answer to Stephannie's question, "I love all the recommendations you gave for making the economics credit worthy, and think I will go ahead and try to fit it in. Is there one of them you would recommend as being the simplest to incorporate for a 9th grader?"
Married to my best friend since Oct. 1989
DS 25
DS 20
DS 12
DS 10
And one - waiting in Heaven

I am way outnumbered and loving it!