MFW and HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom25

MFW and HOD

Post by Mom25 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:28 pm

We are avid MFW users over here, but a friend just introduced me to HOD. I'm so mad at her! :) I just got a catalog in the mail and have been pouring over it--it looks so good.

I will have a 1st grader and two 4th graders. I'm thinking LHFHG (with 1st grade books) and PHFHG?? It's hard to think about switching without actually seeing the books, but I've been on Amazon and read several of the book reviews, and they all look good.

I'd love some feedback from those who use HOD or those have used MFW and HOD. MFW is wonderful, but it has dry spots. Is this true of HOD books (or maybe every curriculum??)? Is there as much depth in HOD as in MFW? Is the Bible portion as meaningful? Is the day-by-day grid annoying or helpful compared to the weekly grid? Has anyone used or is currently using PHFHG and can tell me about your experience? Anyone know where their profits go (I know MFW goes to Bible translation)?

I figure if we don't like HOD we could always go back to MFW and still finish the cycle by 8th grade. Any wisdom here would be appreciated!

Ruth in FL

MFW or HOD

Post by Ruth in FL » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:34 am

Hello Mom25,
Welcome!
I used MFW for three years and enjoyed it.We have used Adventures, ECC and CTG.
One reason I switched over to HOD was the book list. It presents history on a more personal level, using real people to tell the history. I am speaking of BIGGER HEARTS which I am using right now.
Another reason that I switched is that I wasnt using any of MFW's suggested Language Arts,Writing Strands or Art. It was hard to have several lesson plans books open at once!! I like everything right in front of me in one binder.

I found Creation to Greeks to have very dry reads. I also had a problem with Greek history(too much nudity in the art,gods sleeping with humans).I felt the material was too much for my then 9yo.

I find the scheduling in BIGGER to be just enough school for a 4th grader.I am using the Rod and Staff and the Math so having the lesson plans right in front of me is a great blessing.
I am using something else for Bible. I do not care for the "Little Pillows" devotional, but, mind you, that is just me and my preference.

I have been homeschooling for almost 15 years and have used plenty of materials over the years!! I think HOD is a wonderful curriculum...makes me wish I had some more little ones to homeschool!

hope this helps,
Ruth
married 20 yrs to Mark, mom to three daughters 25,14,10
two sons 19 and 17, Nana to two boys 6 and 3.
Proud mother in law of a US Army Soldier.

lovetobehome

Post by lovetobehome » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:01 am

Hi there, and welcome!
Here is a link that provides a lot of information about MFW and HOD, and within it are links to other threads.... http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/view ... hlight=mfw

I understand what you are going through, and I, too, will pray for your decision in just a moment. For me, decisions become so much easier when I ask God to make them for me. :-) Too often I forget to do that!

I also have looked at Konos, MFW and HOD (as well as others). I have settled in here, and am so content. You can read more about my decision in the above link.
Blessings to you as you seek!
DS 11 Finished CtoC! Moving on to RtoR!
DD 9 Preparing- Hoping to give her the best year possible, and sticking to the guide as written!
DS 4 All About Reading, R&S preschool workbooks, maybe some Little Hands

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:45 pm

Mom25,

Welcome to the board! We're glad to have you here. The ladies on the board are wonderful about answering questions! So, if you have other things you wonder about, ask away! :wink:

We'll pray that the Lord will give you the peace you seek in your curriculum decisions.

Blessings,
Carrie