Carrie - question about lit in Geo guide

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
deltagal

Carrie - question about lit in Geo guide

Post by deltagal » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:36 pm

Hi Carrie,

I've been pouring over the HOD materials and "rehearsing" a day with HOD for my 14 yos Freshman year using several different scenarios. We've settled at last on using Rev to Rev with beef-ups for Govt. I'm really excited about this path for my student. Having the chance to see the geo guide samples helped my husband and I make the final steps of discernment. I'm still pondering using the right side of the new Geo guide, BUT (based on the reading amounts in the sample for the first week) I have some doubts that my student can sustain the amount of reading required in the literature studies each day. He can handle the level of the material, but he would have difficulty staying focused long enough to read the assigned selection in one sitting. He's definitely a less is more kind of student. Do you have any suggestions for how to use the Geo. Lit. for students who cannot handle lengthy readings? Or do you think it's best if we look for another intro. to lit. plan? I do have other options on the table: B) use the Smarr into to lit, C) use the Shakespeare study in RTR along with the Young People's Guide to English Lit, or D) use DITHOR (but I'm not sure what to pick for him to read.)

Thank you. And congratulations on another super guide!
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Carrie - question about lit in Geo guide

Post by Carrie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Florence,

I would say that the Smarr readings for Intro. to Lit. are much longer than what we are scheduling in the World Geography guide, so I wouldn't advise going that route. If you feel your son is not ready to handle the length of readings in the World Geography guide, I would be inclined to use DITHR for one more year. DITHR prepares a child well for what comes next lit. wise in the World Geography guide. I would steer clear of more Shakespeare too, as Shakespeare is a tough read. :D

If your son hasn't already done the Level 7/8 Boy Pack, I would lean in that direction for use with DITHR for this first year. :D Otherwise, you could pick shorter classic works for him to read with DITHR if preferred.

Blessings,
Carrie

arstephia

Re: Carrie - question about lit in Geo guide

Post by arstephia » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:27 pm

Just wanted to pipe in and agree with Carrie about Smarr. We did Smarr the first half of the year last year while doing MTMM to get high school lit credit and it was very time consuming, and my son is a quick reader and comprehender. We switched to something else the 2nd semester to finish his Intro to Lit credit because Smarr was just too much with all of the other reading and work required for MTMM. I would agree to go with DITHOR instead.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography