Just got our PH pkg! A few concerns...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
dizneegirl76

Just got our PH pkg! A few concerns...

Post by dizneegirl76 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:46 pm

Hello!
We just got our PH package. I am a first time home schooler next year of a 3rd and 5th grader. I had a couple of questions.
1. I bought all of the extension packages available for my 5th grade son. I love HOD already, and while it looks great, HOLY COW there are a LOT of chapter reading books. It seems like too much to read in one year. Do you find they ALL get read by the time the year is over? I am not saying this rudely or criticizing the curriculum. They look like wonderful books. BUT none of us are huge readers. My son (5th grade) likes reading, but none of us love it. And my daughter (3rd grade) is a great reader but hates to read anything. I am scared now it will be a struggle with her. Am I overreacting? Does it look more overwhelming when you first open the box than it really is?

2. I am confused as to how to use the extension package with my son, who will be 5th grade. I see the list in the back of the book, but when and where do you work it all into the lesson? I don't want him to feel that he has to work quite a bit longer than his sister every day. Though I know being a 5th grader that is expected somewhat.

I am just so new to all of this I felt a bit overwhelmed today after opening everything up! BUT I love all of the colorful science and history books. I know those will be a hit! TIA for any and all help.
God bless!
Shannon

healthybynature

Re: Just got our PH pkg! A few concerns...

Post by healthybynature » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:57 pm

I am also wondering how we will get it all done with my 7 and 9 year old. I think we will go 1/2 pace.

dizneegirl76

Post by dizneegirl76 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:41 pm

I am afraid to because with the Charter school we are with my kids are required to do that stupid STAR testing. It's how the school gets their funds. But the kids came home today and saw the books and are SO excited! Hopefully it will all work out. Hoping Carrie is able to respond to my question too. Nobody would know better than she would! :D

Molly

Post by Molly » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:19 am

Shannon, it seems alot when you look at them all together, but when you spread it over the 35 weeks, it isn't that much. You will be reading aloud the storytime, and the history if you want to, so then it just leaves your 3rd grader with the independent history and the science readings and some days they are not doing reading and if they are it is only a small amount. The reading for the extensions can take up to half an hour, but I'm sure your fifth grader will enjoy them. My oldest did the extensions and she orally narrated once a unit, wrote a two paragraph narration twice a unit and wrote a one paragraph narration with an illunstration on the other day of the unit. However, it is entirely up to you whether you get your son to do the reading and the extension work or just the reading.

I'm certain you and your children will enjoy Preparing. My younger daughter and I are due to embark on Preparing in a couple of weeks and I recall the wonderful connections that my older daughter and I made as we journeyed through it.
Michelle, Mum homeschooling four beauties in NZ
DD1 (13): Rev2Rev, DITHR
DD2 (11): CTC, DITHR
DS1 (8): BHFHG
DS2 (4): LHTH

dizneegirl76

Post by dizneegirl76 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:54 pm

Thank you MIchelle for the help. It's just that, being our first year I don't want to overload them, yet still want them to learn and be prepared for the STAR test. I will be glad if they do away with that!