the 4 year cycle??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Johanna

the 4 year cycle??

Post by Johanna » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:03 am

Carrie,
I noticed that you are planning a 4 year cycle after Preparing (one per year). My dd is doing Bigger next fall and she will be in 4th grade. So, that means that she wont hit the 4 year cycle till 6th grade(6yh, 7th and 8th and 9th)......
SO, (this may seem premature.....I am a planner at heart) but, where does that leave us for grades 10, 11, and 12????
Would she just do a condensed 4 year study into 3 years? Or would it be stuff like civics, and such????
I am just confused? :?
Thanks for your help.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:52 am

Johanna,

I'm not sure if I've "met" you yet...so here's a :D Welcome :D to you. I know that Carrie is out of town at a convention this weekend, so probably won't be able to answer you until early next week. Here a few of the past threads that atlked about the plan for future guides.

viewtopic.php?t=43
viewtopic.php?t=190

And this one gives a great perspective of "getting the history cycle but balancing it with what you believe God wants you to teach your kids"...scroll down to water2wine's post in the middle.
viewtopic.php?t=670

We look forward to getting to know you more here.
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:01 am

Ok....I really stink at finding old threads, :roll: but....this has been discussed and there is (somewhere out there) a great thread with ideas for highschool!

The one thing I can answer for you is, do not worry if your dd is past 8th grade when you get to the 4 year cycle. You'll really only be one year off and Carrie's extension packages will be more than enough. You may have to add in civics (and I'm sure there are other requirements for hs, but that is too far away for me to think about :lol: ) if that is required, but I bet Carrie will have a suggestion for that! :wink:

:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:05 am

It took me so long to hit "submit" and Kathleen already found them! :lol:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:48 pm

Johanna - Here are the ideas that Carrie posted about high school that Melanie was talking about, too. http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=820 I'm sure that she'll have great ideas for us as her boys get to high school and she gets to try out what she likes. (Maybe she'll even put them together in a guide... :wink: ) I know that's not in her plans now...but I'm pretty sure I'd use it. :D

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:23 pm

Johanna,

Melanie and Kathleen were great and getting your questions answered! Thanks ladies! :D

Now that we're back, I just wanted to pop-in and mention that the last year of the HOD 4 year history cycle will be 1800's to modern times.

Most often in high school courses, geography is the focus of the 9th grade year "history" cycle. Then, kiddos move into American history sophomore year and world history junior year. Economics and government make up "social studies/history" focus the senior year.

Now, of course, you can vary this, but that is what is typical. So, it will be no big deal to be doing the last year of our history cycle while adding in a world geography component to fulfill freshman requirements.

Then, you'll be right on track! :D

Blessings,
Carrie