Ninth Grade Placement Question--Part 2--or is it 3???

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
celestialmom

Ninth Grade Placement Question--Part 2--or is it 3???

Post by celestialmom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi Carrie---Thank you so much for your response to my placement question for my son, who will be completely new to HOD for his upcoming ninth grade year this fall. If anyone would like to read the helpful advice that Carrie gave me, you can find it by searching Ninth Grade Placement Question. I must forewarn anyone who might be interested though, it is very long! I didn't want to make you all read through it again if you were not interested, thus the reason this new thread. Carrie, you gave me so much to think about and so many resources to look at. I deeply appreciate your help. I can't help but think though, after I read your advice, if it might not make more sense to start my son in CTC and just finish his high school years with the 4 lower guides. That way, he would not miss out on ancient history, as you noted. I am so bogged down in wondering about this that I figure it might be best just to ask you. I'm sure there is a reason you did not recommend it, and that would so help me to move on to a final decision. Would it just be too difficult to make it credit worthy or is there another reason. I have read the threads about ramping it up for high school, and it does seem somewhat doable. Also, my son covered geography thoroughly in his seventh grade year, if you thought that might be a good reason to get to the geography guide. I don't know......am I just making this more difficult than it has to be???? To be totally honest, I've also been driving myself crazy in thinking about having him do the science in the new geography guide since it would be all laid out for us, and I think it would be at his level. This leads to me thinking, why not just have him do the whole guide? So, if you could, just tell me that this wouldn't be a good idea, because his other skills are not where they need to be to do the geography guide, and it wouldn't work. I would appreciate it, and I could put it out of my mind, and move on. You know, one thinks, well how hard could it be?????---but you would know that, and that's why I'm asking, so please be patient with me. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!