How did you choose between Bigger and Preparing?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Sandi_NC

How did you choose between Bigger and Preparing?

Post by Sandi_NC » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi ya'll! My name is Sandi, I live in western NC with my DH Bill and our 3 children, William (10), Lizzie (9) and Anna (8). **A quick shout out to MamaMary, who doesn't know me, but we have my dear friend Dee (and Brandy from PPEA) in common!**

Okay, quick question ...

I'm having a difficult time choosing between Bigger and Preparing!

Any advice?!

I could really go either way, it's just so hard to make that decision! My son is not a strong reader and is still working on becoming comfortable and confident with that. My dd (9) is an avid and fluent reader and devours everything in sight. My other dd ( 8 ) is still learning to read so her main focus is going to be phonics and math.

I'm spending all my free time reading through the older posts, so it's possible someone has already faced this dilemma!

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Sandi

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:03 pm

um, not terribly philosophical... but do Bigger, so you can do Preparing next year! ;) They both look so fun.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:27 pm

I am certainly no expert... but I am thinking that if you gave your son time to gain skills while using Bigger... Preparing would be more appreciated?

I saw you are in Western NC- which we are as well!
Which part?

Sincerely,
Rebecca

sevenfromheaven

Post by sevenfromheaven » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:19 pm

We experienced similar circumstances with our three oldest children, and Bigger has worked out beautifully for us. Each of the three have felt very positive and enthusiastic about their learning. Our oldest son feels challenged, yet not overworked. Our second oldest devours every assignment to the max, and does all kinds of fun projects/reading on his
own after our school day is complete. Our seven year is quickly making her way through the emerging reader list...and loves keeping up with her older brothers. I had also wondered about starting with Preparing over
Bigger, and am so thankful God helped to lead us back to Bigger. :)
Marianne
Mom to seven blessings - 4mo, 1, 2, 4, 7, 9, 10
Wife to my precious best friend
Using Little Hands To Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Bigger, and DITHOR

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:45 pm

I also went with Bigger for my son...we'll start it later this summer. While looking at the placement chart, it looked like he could have gone either way on some things...but now that I have Bigger, it's going to be absolutely perfect for us, and I think Preparing might have been a bit much. I know that we're going to thoroughly enjoy it this year! :D And, I know that he'll be ready to thoroughly enjoy Preparing next year. :wink: I don't think you'll be disappointed with Bigger...and you can always use the extention pack for your avid reader to get a little more from it.

Nice to "meet" you Sandi!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

bookworm

Post by bookworm » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:21 pm

I had the same problem (7 and almost 10 yr old) and ultimately decided on Beyond because I didn't want to miss out on the great books in the program. :) My oldest is working on fluency with reading so I'm going to have him read some of the read-a-louds as independent reading from the boy list.

And I have to admit we've been really relaxed up to this point and really only done the 3 Rs and science. I figure easing into this program and getting into a more consistent schedule will be a great transition year for us.

Next year we'll do Bigger with the extention pack.

Good luck!

Sandi_NC

Post by Sandi_NC » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:21 am

Thank ya'll so much for your help and responses!

I spent a good portion of last night reading through the older posts and there is so much warmth and wisdom on this board! After much consideration and prayer, we are going with Bigger for this year. I'm placing my order today ~ and then after we get started with Bigger I'll be adding in DITHOR for my ds and oldest dd.

I'm so excited and can't wait to get started!
Sandi in NC ~ Wife to Bill and Momma to William (11), Lizzie (10) and Anna (9)

Marty D

Post by Marty D » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:55 am

nice to have another ncer on here. i live in the charlotte area. i am using lhth and beyond this year. it is my first year too, so look forward to sharing all our experiences here on this great board.
Martha

Mom to 3 boys --Nathanael 8, Daniel 5, and Karsten 2

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:51 pm

I had an older child that the age recommendations on Bigger but still chose it because all my kids needed more American. Plus Bigger was NOW at the time and Preparing was wait...not my best trait patience. :lol: It gave one of my children a chance to catch up a bit. But I think first is the chart match then if skills are met for Preparing maybe it would be content preference. But I think the chart really does the best job. Is there something there maybe that could weed one out vs the other. It is hard to choose. They both look great! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

naturegirl

Post by naturegirl » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:20 pm

Hi Sandi!
Well here is how I did it...order Preparing, receive order...continue to study catalog and realize how much my son and I would love the way Carrie has put together a study of American history... and then decide to use Bigger! :lol: Order Bigger and keep Preparing for the following year because it is so wonderful that I can't bear to part with it. :lol: Kimber
Starting Bigger Hearts For His Glory and Drawn into the Heart of Reading with my son in August 2008! Also enjoying learning along with my high schooler.

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:27 pm

Hi Sandi. I am so goofy I forgot to say welcome! So just wanted to come back and say welcome. And actually now that I read your post a little more clearly from what you are saying I would really go with Bigger if I were in your situation (unless Carrie says otherwise :lol: ). Your oldest will still be on target age wise and your other two get a chance to catch up. It sounds like the way you describe where they are at that you have two out of three, one being the oldest, that would benefit from another year. Just reading this again I am putting myself in your shoes and I would definitely choose Bigger.

The one that is an avid reader is only 9. I have one that is also advanced in reading but will be 11 in a few months and we are finding Bigger is working well for her. I beef it up a bit with the reading because she is advanced there and actually I read the extension pack aloud for the sake of my other child who is 10 1/2 (if you are doing the math there were a few acts of God on the ages there) but reading delayed. There were suggestions given for older children that needed to beef up Bigger here http://www.heartofdakota.com/board/view ... or+richard
I think you would be OK with Bigger as is and adding the extension pack to read the way the program is written for your 9 year old. But if you wanted to read them aloud as I am or feel your dd needs more some of these books would be useful.

Anyway welcome and I hope that is more helpful. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:23 pm

Sandi,

I just wanted to pop-in and tell you that you are right on track! The ladies have done a wonderful job of steering you in the right direction. From what you've shared, I would agree that "Bigger..." will be a good fit for your kiddos.

You may want to consider the Extension Pack for your avid reader.

We're glad to have you here and look forward to hearing more from you!

Blessings,
Carrie