Character Training in HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MelInKansas

Character Training in HOD

Post by MelInKansas » Fri May 10, 2013 1:41 pm

There are so many things that make me thankful I am using HOD. I really feel like it has been a gift from the Lord, to have something so complete, and am thankful for the wisdom God gave Carrie in writing it.

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday who has been using another very popular Christian curriculum. She was struggling with where to go for next year and then she said God really impressed on her that they needed to spend a year doing character development. Studying the Bible, memorizing, and growing in godly character. They will still be doing reading, math, and LA curriculum but not a history, geography, etc. She showed me the materials she bought for character study and I paged through it and talked with her, and realized that HOD has that built in already! Studying character traits, through DITHR, the Bible box, and storytime, memorizing verses in Proverbs this year that point us to godly character and what God desires of us. Not that my children really demonstrate good character any more than my friend's children do. I know I need to pray for them in this, because we can study the Bible all day and it have little or no impact in my children's lives without the Holy Spirit's work. I was just thankful to have a curriculum already going that has this included in it. I will admit to not doing the material in HOD as thoroughly as I should, but even doing what I have, I have seen an impact and am thankful she is learning it.

Just wanted to share!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Blessed Jess

Re: Character Training in HOD

Post by Blessed Jess » Fri May 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Thank you for sharing! As a newbie, I find that very encouraging. I know no curriculum will in itself change our children's hearts; as you stated, only the Holy Spirit has that great task. However, HOD looks to me to be a brilliantly thought out vision from a very spiritual family, and every day on these forums I see witness of the seeds each guide plants and nurtures. It makes me excited to begin our journey knowing I have help! :D

Blessings,
Jessica

DD1 age 3.5
DD 2 age 2
Jessica

Wife to my beloved engineer hubby since 7/2007
DD1 5.5
DD2 4

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Fri May 10, 2013 8:13 pm

DITHOR is one of the best resources I have found for character development. Not only does my son learn what godly character is, but he is actively evaluating his own character to see if he is living a godly life. I agree - HOD is EXCELLENT in this area. :D
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

psreit

Post by psreit » Sat May 11, 2013 5:59 am

This is definitely one of the reasons I am looking forward to coming back to HOD. It really is not the same doing something separate. Even if my daughter's academic challenges are holding her back in independent reading and math, I know she can memorize and understand what I read to her. The Bible and character training in HOD is wonderful. I am really missing this part of it while we are away. Until we get to a certain point in the Barton Reading System, we'll have to wait on DITHOR, but it sounds great too. I am trusting that in this next year she will make great strides in her reading so that she may have the opportunity to enjoy DITHOR as well. :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)