I need serious help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
susie in ms

I need serious help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by susie in ms » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:05 pm

I have about 100 ears of corn that needs shucking, scraping, and canning.....and guess what I am doing instead!!!! Looking at the catalog!!!! Grant it I do have a cupa Joe because I am trying to get up the energy to tackle this job, but still!!

Okay, question for you guys that have gotten to BIGGER...how do you keep all of the different stories read at one time separate in your (and especially your lo's ) head? There is the history bio, the reading book, the storytime book all at the same time. Then in Preparing you add to that the Independent study book. So how do you do it?

So there are two things I need help on. I WANT to do these HOD programs when the time comes so I need to know how to work out these stories without getting them all jumbled in my head. AND I need my head examined for not tackling the corn yet!!
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:47 pm

OK Susie...I just have to know...how in the world do you have corn ready already???? Most of us just got ours in the ground!! I am so jealous as I absolutely LOVE corn on the cob fresh out of the garden. :lol:

There is a lot of information about this (reading multiple books simultaineously) in the original series by CM, but since I am not an expert... :roll: I can't remember! I will try to look something up for you later, we are getting ready to go to youth devo tonight. All I can rememer is that most kids have no problem with this at all. :wink: We usually have 2 or 3 going on here, and I've never had my kiddos get confused.

:D Mel (who can't stop thinking about fresh corn now)
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

netpea

Post by netpea » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:10 pm

WAH! mine isnt' even in the ground yet. Due to shoulder issues, I am not sure I will even get my garden in this year. I can't do the labor of hoeing the garden...

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:44 pm

Well, OUR corn is still a bit too small to pick just yet (BUT it is 10 feet tall!!! :shock: ), but my cousin has a mother-load ready and he gave us a bunch. We gave some to my MIL BESIDES what we kept. My cousin said it looked like we didn't even touch his corn he has soooo much!! We are in so Mississippi, so that may have something to do with us have corn already.

You know I have the CM Companion, but I never finished reading it. I need to take it back out and read the section on reading several books. I hope that it will work alright with having several books going cus I have found NOTHING I like better for young children than HOD !!

Back to corn.
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.

amyw33

Post by amyw33 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:21 pm

CORN? Not in a can or a bag? I don't even think all the snow is melted here yet!!!!!!

Sorry, no help on the Bigger question...just couldn't get over the fact you already have corn :)
Amy

LHFHG w/5yo DD

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:31 pm

Ok I really wish I could help you with the corn. If we lived closer I think my kids could take care of it. :lol:

But I can help you with keeping everything straight. What I did was find a system that worked for keeping the books organized. We did a little color tab on the spine deal with ours. But in the actual reading and keeping them straight you will not have a problem. It's kind of like having two or three very different and vivid friends. The books really are like that while you are reading it. I promise you that you will not get confused. We are doing LHFHG and some of the books in the appendix plus BHFHG WITH the extension pack read aloud actually for the sake of my dd with special needs. I am as goofy and scatter brained as they come. :roll: I have no problem keeping it all straight. It seems like you will before you actually do it and you may feel a bit overwhelmed when you actually get the books but when you really do the problem it is not even an issue. 8)

So I want to assure you that you are free to shuck the corn and not even worry about Bigger. It is completely worry free. That is part of what makes it so great!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

netpea

Post by netpea » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:55 pm

water2wine wrote:What I did was find a system that worked for keeping the books organized. We did a little color tab on the spine deal with ours. But in the actual reading and keeping them straight you will not have a problem. It's kind of like having two or three very different and vivid friends. The books really are like that while you are reading it. I promise you that you will not get confused. We are doing LHFHG and some of the books in the appendix plus BHFHG WITH the extension pack read aloud actually for the sake of my dd with special needs.
Just curious, do you put yours on the shelf by genre / subject or separate them by which program (i.e. Bigger, little hearts)? I'm thinking by subject might be easiest...

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:42 pm

Now you know 3 friends doesn't sound so bad!! I kinda like the idea!! :D

Tell me about the tabs. What are they for? ect.

Believe me I have enlisted the help of my kiddos! Hehe! We needed a few more green beans to make our second canning run so I sent dh and one ds out to pick a few more while oldest dd helped me with all of the corn.

Our little tiny garden is putting out soooooo good this year. We had a load of half soil/half compost hauled in this year and it has made all of the difference. We have over planted and over crowded and it still has put out great!! We will be putting up tomatoes soon! Bell peppers are almost ready, etc. We are very blessed with the yield so far. If the heat and drought don't do it in, we will have the most it has ever produced. PTL!!!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:06 pm

netpea wrote:
water2wine wrote:What I did was find a system that worked for keeping the books organized. We did a little color tab on the spine deal with ours. But in the actual reading and keeping them straight you will not have a problem. It's kind of like having two or three very different and vivid friends. The books really are like that while you are reading it. I promise you that you will not get confused. We are doing LHFHG and some of the books in the appendix plus BHFHG WITH the extension pack read aloud actually for the sake of my dd with special needs.
Just curious, do you put yours on the shelf by genre / subject or separate them by which program (i.e. Bigger, little hearts)? I'm thinking by subject might be easiest...
Yep all of the above :D I did them by program, genre, and reading level then also did my DITHR books as well. Then I got really crazy and did all the books I thought we might use into DITHR that had reading levels I could find. And then after I did it the process made me really almost not need it because I had them all straight. :lol: But it is so easy to keep track of things. My biggest fear about HOD was that we would spend our entire day hunting for books because someone would put it in some crazy place. So far that has never happened. When they are color coded like this is it almost impossible to misplace them. They stand out like a sore thumb.
I also took the emerging readers and put them in a plastic box on the forbidden shelf. So only the book we are currently reading comes out. :lol:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:04 am

That's a neat idea!! I get it now!!
About the forbidden shelf...Hannah wants the Lil Hearts stuff ALL the time!! I have it on a forbidden shelf, but it is not out of her reach. She goes to it all the time and says, "BIG gurl." I have told her that it is for when she is bigger and that if we kept going through them now she would not want then when she would really benefit. That goes over most of the time, but if she is really sleepy or sick she will whine and whine for those books!! I have no where else to go with them, so I just have to deal with the whining. Good part is she is very attracted to Lil Hearts!! :D

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:23 pm

corn.....I'm drooling....:lol:
Ours will likely be flooded out this year!!

Ditto what everyone else said about keeping the stories straight. We're doing Bigger and my boys don't have any trouble.

(I figure if they can keep all those game boy codes straight, they can certainly by expected to remember what they read in each book, right??? :lol:)

I just recently put my HOD books on a HOD shelf in the kitchen. :-) Gabe (2 yo) pulls his off the shelf every day and says, "Gabe school, mom!! Gabe school!!" So far he's putting it back when he's done...
I think it's almost the only thing he likes as much as "Cars" :lol:
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink: