Question for emerging reader list for beyond little hearts

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Bharper

Question for emerging reader list for beyond little hearts

Post by Bharper » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:34 pm

Hi I am new to HOD and to the board. I'm hoping this is where I can post this question :shock: , Thanks.

We will be starting BLHFHG with 1st and 2nd grade in two weeks. I was wondering how to schedule the emerging reader list. Would it be okay if one child started with week 1 reading (which is the Bible reading) and the other start with the reading for week 2? Or should they take turns reading the same thing for that unit?

Thanks,
Brandee :D

dianemahon

Re: Question for emerging reader list for beyond little hear

Post by dianemahon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:45 pm

Are they both reading at the same level? You can follow the list however you want. It took us a couple weeks to get acclimated with the program so skipped the first weeks. i've also had to switch books around because i couldnt get them at the right time, etc. You also have the option of the supplemental titles. Since this is independent reading for them they can both read the same book, just at different times. Your idea of having them on different weeks could work too. I think just as long as they are reading, what they are reading when can be tweaked for whatever works for you. Hope that helps!

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:02 pm

I think I'm confused about the question. You can read the ER's at any pace you want they do not need to co-ordinate with the guides units at all. Each student can just read at whatever pace they need to.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi Bharper, and welcome to the HOD Board! :D The Emerging Reader's Set is one of my favorite all-time things to do with my dc. I am doing it for the last time with my third ds coming up this school year, and I honestly cannot wait! :D You probably know this, but the Emerging Reader's Set is scheduled out very nicely in the Appendix of Beyond Little Hearts, and it has super oral comprehension questions that you ask your dc (which do a lovely job of teaching them better reading comprehension and beginning oral narration skills :D ).

I can see what you are saying here - how do you share the books? You make good sense with your point that stagger starting your dc would make sharing that much easier. I have a few ideas on this. :D

Option 1: Have your 2nd grader begin the Emerging Reader's Set first. After that child finishes the Bible, have your first grader begin it.
Option 2: Have your 1st grader begin using "The Early Reader's Bible" and have your 2nd grader begin using "The Beginner's Bible." This would require you to get both Bibles, but it may be worth it to start them both reading right away.

Either option would work well! I am excited for you to begin Beyond Little Hearts. We had many favorites in Beyond, but a few of our most beloved memories are with reading "American Pioneers and Patriots" as well as reading and discussing the "Morning Bells" devotional. HTH, and I look forward to getting to know you here! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat May 04, 2013 2:28 pm

Brandee,

You've already received such helpful advice, so I'll just chime in to clarify that there is a daily schedule in the Appendix with questions for each day for the Emerging Reader's Set. So, once you get underway, you would want to follow that daily schedule. It is divided into readings for each day. You probably already discovered this, however I just wanted to mention it in case you hadn't gotten past the overview page of when to use each book and how many units it lasts. After that overview comes the daily schedule. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Bharper

Post by Bharper » Thu May 09, 2013 5:31 pm

my3sons wrote:Hi Bharper, and welcome to the HOD Board! :D The Emerging Reader's Set is one of my favorite all-time things to do with my dc. I am doing it for the last time with my third ds coming up this school year, and I honestly cannot wait! :D You probably know this, but the Emerging Reader's Set is scheduled out very nicely in the Appendix of Beyond Little Hearts, and it has super oral comprehension questions that you ask your dc (which do a lovely job of teaching them better reading comprehension and beginning oral narration skills :D ).

I can see what you are saying here - how do you share the books? You make good sense with your point that stagger starting your dc would make sharing that much easier. I have a few ideas on this. :D

Option 1: Have your 2nd grader begin the Emerging Reader's Set first. After that child finishes the Bible, have your first grader begin it.
Option 2: Have your 1st grader begin using "The Early Reader's Bible" and have your 2nd grader begin using "The Beginner's Bible." This would require you to get both Bibles, but it may be worth it to start them both reading right away.

Either option would work well! I am excited for you to begin Beyond Little Hearts. We had many favorites in Beyond, but a few of our most beloved memories are with reading "American Pioneers and Patriots" as well as reading and discussing the "Morning Bells" devotional. HTH, and I look forward to getting to know you here! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Hi, sorry it has taken me so long to get back. That is great advice, and from reading this I think I've decided to let my 2nd grader start with the bible and can have my 1st grader re-read his BOB books while we wait for my 2nd grader to to move forward and it will warm my 1st grader (the more reluctant reader) to get used to reading daily again too.

Thank you Julie!

Bharper

Post by Bharper » Thu May 09, 2013 5:33 pm

Carrie wrote:Brandee,

You've already received such helpful advice, so I'll just chime in to clarify that there is a daily schedule in the Appendix with questions for each day for the Emerging Reader's Set. So, once you get underway, you would want to follow that daily schedule. It is divided into readings for each day. You probably already discovered this, however I just wanted to mention it in case you hadn't gotten past the overview page of when to use each book and how many units it lasts. After that overview comes the daily schedule. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Hi! Yes, I have looked through the appendix and I'd like to stay on schedule as much as possible. I have looked through the appendix at it all since we are (excitedly!!) starting next week. I believe I'm going to follow the adivce from Julie and have my older quicker reader start with the bible while my 1st grader reads his BOB books again while waiting for the bible.

Thank you Carrie and
Thank you everyone for the response!

lauranick

Post by lauranick » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi there! Does the American Pioneers and Patriots book that HOD sells have the enhanced maps and questions or is it just the original? Thank you!

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:16 am

lauranick wrote:Hi there! Does the American Pioneers and Patriots book that HOD sells have the enhanced maps and questions or is it just the original? Thank you!
It's been a few years since we did this guide and I don't still have this book, but as I recall it does have color pictures/maps and questions at the end of each chapter. The website shows that it has a copyright date of 2002 which I think is the newer book. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1