Has anyone used Little Hands for Kindergarten?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lovemygirls

Has anyone used Little Hands for Kindergarten?

Post by lovemygirls » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:04 am

Hi All,
I'm new to HOD and have a daughter that will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. What attracts me most to Heart of Dakota is how Christ Centered it is. I want our homeschool to Glorify God and what my children to be saturated in God's word and always being aware of who He is and that our world is truly HIS STORY! I'm so grateful there are other wonderfully talented mom's out there that can put together such wonderful curriculum for me! lol. I'm not a planner and this will be a blessing!

I was originally debating on using Little Hearts for His Glory for Kindergarten but after much debate and prayer I've decided to leave it for 1st grade and was going to only focus on the 3 R's along with some Bible time. I didn't do anything formal for preschool just casual learning of the letters and their sounds so my daughter is still learning them. However, a thought came to me that I could possibly use Little Hands to Heaven for K (age range is for 5 year olds as well) in addition to reading, writing and math. Do you think that's doable? My daughter seems rare and doesn't like to be read to very much or for long periods of time (she'll sit through one small book and that's it) but is VERY wiggly and loves anything with alot of movement and anything silly that would make her laugh so what other's might think is babyish or light will probably be super fun for her! ;-) from what I can see from the samples it might be a good fit for her :-) and since she hasn't had any formal preschool I'm thinking it would work very well as I'd like to integrate Bible time and fun activities/simple crafts of which I'm not good at thinking of or creating myself.

Any thoughts on that? Would Little Hands to Heaven be doable for Kindergarten?

Thanks so much in advance!

dschurma

Re: Has anyone used Little Hands for Kindergarten?

Post by dschurma » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:25 pm

My 5 yr old is using MFW K right now, but he loves to tag along with his 3.5 yr old brother in LHTH. I think you'd really enjoy using it as a K program along with other age appropriate lessons for math and phonics!
Dawn
http://mamasmonkeys.blogspot.com
Alex (7) - Beyond
Max (6) - LHFHG
Jensyn Kate (4) - LHTH

younglove03

Post by younglove03 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:52 pm

I think your daughter will LOVE LHTH. We are doing it right now with my daughter who is 4.5. My daughter sounds a lot like yours - she loves to play and wiggle and sing. She will sit for short stories and we save longer ones for when she is tired :wink:

The Bible reading is very brief, and the finger plays and activites are super fun!! You will study letters, numbers etc, so YES, I think this would be great for a Kindergarten year. Plus, it only takes about 30-45 minutes (DD usually has so much fun with the art, or dramatic play that our school day is longer.)

If we have a busy day and don't do school, my DD will come up to me (usually trying to avoid a nap...) and say "Oh no! Mom! We forgot to do school!!"

I think this would be a great fit for your family.
Amanda - Married 9 years to my best friend and blessed with two amazing kids
DD "O" - 4.5 - LHTH
DS "The Boy" - 2 - running wild, being loud, making messes :D
http://faithfamilyfriendslove.wordpress.com

MitchellFamily

Post by MitchellFamily » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:43 pm

For my last two in LHTH I've often wondered if it would be a better choice for some at 5, like the age range suggests. The last two I've taken through the next step over a year and a half or so just to give extra time for work and keep it lighter and fun. I think for the next I'll do LHTH for P and PK and then move into a K/1 mode with the next guide. Part of it depends on readiness of the child but it's so fun to have special time with each one that is focused on God and fun learning activities!
Mom to 5 blessings
DS, 9: CTC, DITHOR
DD, 8: Bigger HFHG, DITHOR
DS, 6: LHFHG, 1/2 speed
DD, 2: joins in on read alouds and rhymes!
DD, new baby - sleeps in if I'm lucky!
Have also enjoyed LHTH and Beyond LHFHG and Preparing :)

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:25 pm

I used LHTH for K as my dd has language challenges. I used the k options for math , writing, thinking, and phonics. The slower speed allowed her to thrive. She loved the finger play, Bible songs, Bible, and crafts. I did both 3/4 and 4/5devotions and ABC Bible verses. I used 4/5 Bible and Singing Bible. She is now in 1 st grade and finished LHFHG 3 weeks ago so has started Beyond. This pace allowed her time to catch up with language skills and ability to sit for stories LHFHG as she is a wiggly ADHD. She gained so many skills that Beyond only takes 1 1/2 hours. When she was ready I picked up the speed in first grade. I have older kids (19, 20)so I know what it looks like to successfully finish homeschool. My dd graduates from 4 yr college next month. You will enjoy LHTH.
Tammy

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:54 pm

I haven't, but I think it would be a good plan. My little ones have chomped at the bit to have their own school, so they've gotten to use it fairly early.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade