math u see vs. singapore

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
annegirl1919

math u see vs. singapore

Post by annegirl1919 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:31 am

ok. i'm thinking that it looks like i'll be using hod, maybe forever. i have a question about my son regarding math w/ hod, though. my dd was using singapore for k, even before we decided on hod. it has been a perfect fit for her. but knowing my ds's personality and learning style, when just comparing the two math curriculum without hod activities, math u see would be a better fit for ds.

i'm debating whether when i start him in hod, if i should just do math u see from the beginning and drop out the math section of the lessons, or if i should go with the math in the guides and when he gets to the place were activities aren't written in the guides, switch to math u see.

would it work to switch in the middle? or are the two programs so different that it would just be frustrating?
thanks!
wife to jaret '98
foster mom to andie '93
mom to aviah '01
mom to smith '04
mom to faye '08

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:57 am

Ooh, that's a toughie... :? I've played around a little with both of these curriculums along with some RightStart. I think just picking one and sticking with it will be your best bet. I don't think changing in the middle would be very easy.

RightStart and Singapore were extremely similar, but MUS takes a somewhat different path to the same place.....after all...math is math, and no matter how you you teach it.... 2+2 always = 4.

MUS also teaches mental math, as well as Singapore and I think either one will get your dd prepared for algebra or however high you plan to go in math (my dh is an engineer and he thinks no one should graduate without calculus :roll: )

The main reason I switched over to Singapore is so I could just open my HOD guide....and go! We also enjoy Carrie's hands-on activities, especially the ones that involve FOOD! :lol: And, I have to say, my son is the one who expecially loves those activities.

I think Carrie plans to switch over to Teaching Textbooks, or something similar in the upper grades anyway and I plan to go with whatever she recommends! :wink:

I'm pretty sure Tansy uses MUS, but she is half-way around the world right now. I bet she will be more than happy to help you when she gets back. Seems like there is someone else here who also uses MUS, and I'm also sure you'll get more opinions! :lol:
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

momof2n2

Post by momof2n2 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:03 pm

used MUS this year with Beyond as we'd already been using it for three years. It was fine using it as opposed to Singapore. We used Beyond for Grade 2, any way, so the Singapore pages wouldn't fit anyway, kwim?

If you think about people using one HOD level for two kids, you'd likely have non-matching math anyway. :D So you should be just fine using whatever blesses your son the most.

Fall 2015
DS 17 -gr.12 full time college student
DS 15- gr. 10 favorites from World Geo and World Hx.
DD 13- gr. 8 Rev to Rev
DD 11- gr. 6 CTC
DD 7 - gr. 2 Beyond
DD 4 - pre-K Rod & Staff and Phonics Pathways

Motherjoy

Post by Motherjoy » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:03 pm

We are also MUS users, though we used Singapore for awhile and enjoyed it.

I think you are asking about dropping the extra math activities that Carrie wrote to go along with the Singapore...right? I've been wondering the same thing for when my second child does LHFHG.

I'd probably do a few weeks of MUS by itself and then see if you feel like you want to add in the extra activities. Or you could do the opposite and do both MUS and the activities and see if you need to drop the activities.
MJ, mom to 8
2015-2016 plan
*17yo is dual-enrolled after using HOD for 7 years
*11yo, 10yo, 9yo, and 7yo - CTC with modifications
*5yo, 4yo - LHTH
*3yo - playschool

Accomplished: LHTH, LHFHG, BHFHG, Beyond, PHFHG, RTR, Rev to Rev, MTMM, WG, WH

hippiechyck

Post by hippiechyck » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:56 pm

we use MUS, sometimes i'll do the math activities but usually i just do the MUS lesson
~*~Barbara~*~
using LH and BLH with the boys, ages 8.5 and 5

Blither Blather~~~Headmistress's Office

moedertje

Switched to Math U See

Post by moedertje » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:22 pm

Hi,

I have a ds that is 5 and we started LHFHG in February and are working through the Summer. He will be 6 in October and we will start BLHFH. I decide to switch to Math U See after I was done with 2A, because of my need to have help to teach math concepts for when we get to older grades. Later on I think I will use Teaching Textbooks.

Since I already have the Singapore book 2B, I decided to use it as a supplement to Math U See, my son likes colorful workbook pages. It works out great. I just look for the pages that co-incide with Math U See. We are flying through Primer so we can start Alpha in the fall with BLFHG. I do like the math activities that Carrie has so I pick and choose as well.

We are now in unit 20 and so enjoying the history!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.