LHFHG in kindergarten?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
pixiewinchester

LHFHG in kindergarten?

Post by pixiewinchester » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:01 pm

I will have a 1st grader (7) and kindergartener (6) this coming fall. Would it
make any sense to use LHFHG for 1st grade, while using My Father's World K, or
should I just combine them both in LHFHG? They are definitely at different
skill/readiness levels. I have another that will start school the year after, so
would eventually be using 3 guides if we go this route.

momof3kids

Re: LHFHG in kindergarten?

Post by momof3kids » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi!...I don't have any pearls i can give you..but just wanted to echo your feelings as i am in the same boat!...my older boys are similiar ages...will be 6 and 4 1/2 in the fall..and i am not sure what to do either!!...especially looking down the road as you stated as i have 3 dc as well. i also looked to combine, but my kids are at very different levels as well..I am leaning towards Beyond for my oldest if that helps any...just started LHTH for my 4 yo..and guess i will just see when he finishes and go from there.....but will be looking to see what you decide..(maybe it will help me ..lol)..good luck!
Married almost 13yr..dh and great father
5 blessings from God, 1 in heaven
9 yo ds- Preparing DITHOR
8 yo ds- Bigger
5 yo dd- Jut starting Little Hearts half speed
Baby boy born September 2014, now 2yo

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:25 pm

Have you checked out the placement chart? If you think both kids would do well in LHFHG, I think you could easily combine them while placing them in the appropriate math and reading levels - K & 1st options are both scheduled. :D Then, you would be covering part of the day together, but each child would be where they need to be in math & reading. I have little experience with this since my two are nine years apart, but I have read a lot of moms have done this successfully. :D

And...I am sure one or more of those with experience will chime in! :D
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

4Hispraise

Post by 4Hispraise » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:25 pm

Oh, and I should have mentioned that I am using LHFHG for K this year with my youngest. He loves it! :D
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

pixiewinchester

Post by pixiewinchester » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:32 pm

4Hispraise, that's one of the options I'm considering for convenience sake. D (oldest) used kindergarten AOP lifepacs this year and is farther along than J (middle child) at phonics and math. He is also much better at doing sit down/table work. J doesn't even like to sit down and color pictures. However, they both love to be read to, which was a big push towards HOD. I"m also wondering what happens if we continue with HOD in the long run, which is what I would like to do. I know that Carrie is coming out with 4 more guides to cover high school, but if you use LHFHG for kindergarten, you will end up finishing all of the guides junior year. Does anyone have any advice on how to fill this gap if I choose to combine the boys this year?

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:31 am

pixiewinchester wrote: . . . I"m also wondering what happens if we continue with HOD in the long run, which is what I would like to do. I know that Carrie is coming out with 4 more guides to cover high school, but if you use LHFHG for kindergarten, you will end up finishing all of the guides junior year. Does anyone have any advice on how to fill this gap if I choose to combine the boys this year?
There are many ways you can stretch things out! One of them is to do the three younger guides - Little Hearts, Beyond, and Bigger Hearts - on a 4 day week schedule instead of 5. That gives you about 9 weeks extra from each guide. Farther down the road it also may be necessary to go half-speed for a few unit. That also adds time. Could be when they reach high school they would want to stretch the three remaining guides over 4 years by doing a little less each day, and maybe adding in a couple extra electives. Hope this gives you some ideas. You never know what will come up along the way.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

amysue277

Post by amysue277 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:45 am

Funny, many of us are in the same situation trying to decide what to do. In the fall, I will have a 6.5 and 5 year old, along with a 2, 1, and 5 mo. old. After a LOT of consideration, we have decided to combine them both in LHFHG and do it 4 days a week. We also plan to do Beyond and Bigger 4 days so that we don't reach preparing too soon. I will of course keep the 3 R's at the appropriate level and tweak as I see fit. Plus, I'm excited to add in some of my favorite fun things on Fridays. I LOVE to pull in other things as well. Just thought I'd share our plan :-)
Amy

DS 6-LHFHG w/ ER's and Singapore 1a/b
DS 5-LHFHG
DS 3-keeping up with his brothers
DD 2-into everything!
DD born 3-10-13

pixiewinchester

Post by pixiewinchester » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Thanks for all of the great responses! After lots of prayer and research, I believe that I'm going to combine both of the older boys in LHFHG this year with separate math and reading and see how they do.