What's a good book that explains the Charlotte Mason method?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
faith0428

What's a good book that explains the Charlotte Mason method?

Post by faith0428 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:07 pm

I would love to read about the Charlotte Mason method, but I know there are many books out there to choose from. Is there one you suggest over others? Thanks!
~ April Faith ~
http://www.desiremyheart.blogspot.com
Wife to Andy since 3/98
Mom to:
Savannah Hope 12 (11/01) and Amaris Love 10 (6/03) doing Res2Ref
Jadon Andrew 8 (1/06) and Bethany Joy 6 (4/07) doing BLHFHG

pjdobro

Re: What's a good book that explains the Charlotte Mason met

Post by pjdobro » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:27 pm

I really enjoyed Karen Andreola's book, A Charlotte Mason companion to get a feel for the CM way of doing things. I really enjoy reading her fiction books Pocketful of Pinecones and Lessons at Blackberry Inn. It's a nice way to see the CM way in action in story form. I guess those are nuts and bolts kind of books but I found them all enjoyable reads. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

Melena

Post by Melena » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:33 pm

My favorite Charlotte Mason resource is For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay.

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:38 pm

I agree with pjdobro. The books she mentioned are excellent!
They also were easier to read, and made the most sense to me.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

kayrenee

Post by kayrenee » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:28 am

Melena wrote:My favorite Charlotte Mason resource is For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay.
I like this one, and I also like A Charlotte Mason Education and More Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison. These are very simple how-to books to get going with a CM education in your home... quick implementation. Easy to follow for any one (or more) of the areas that Miss Mason spoke about in her original 6-volume series.

That said, all of the above authors tend to make a CM education sound a lot more "relaxed" than it really was. A true Charlotte Mason education was actually pretty rigorous. The idea of "short lessons" and "free afternoons" and for younger children, and "save formal grammar for later", sort of spun off into a "relaxed homeschool" method by most of the above authors. Andreola's book, for example, is a nice fireside type of read with a lot of warm and fuzzies. I have many comments highlighted in my copy. But she does make CM sound very relaxed, so keep that in mind if you read it.

Loved Pocketful of Pinecones for practical nature walk/study ideas!
Blessed mom of 3 daughters: college student, 11th, and 7th grades
John 15:5 Academy

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:57 pm

I like Andreola's books. A Charlotte Mason Companion is a nice intro to CM and her fiction books are a fun read. For something a bit deeper I like When Children Love to Learn.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:23 am

pjdobro wrote:I really enjoyed Karen Andreola's book, A Charlotte Mason companion to get a feel for the CM way of doing things. I really enjoy reading her fiction books Pocketful of Pinecones and Lessons at Blackberry Inn. It's a nice way to see the CM way in action in story form. I guess those are nuts and bolts kind of books but I found them all enjoyable reads. :D
This is my favorite one. I did not like For the Children's sake at all. I haven't read Catherine Levinsons books. Also get the free ebook a on SimplyCharlotteMason.com. I love Education Is, Smooth and Easy days. We have Charlotte Mason moms group that meets once a month discussing her principles and implementing them in our homes. It has been a great place to learn. We use Karen Andreola's book for our discussions. We usually cover one or more chapters per meeting. This group has been such a blessing to me. I started when my oldest was 4 and I would just listen and soak up wisdom from the ladies. Now it's changed some, some of the women who used to come are now busy with teens and a new group of women are there. This yer I have led many of the talks.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

faith0428

Post by faith0428 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:22 pm

Thank you, ladies! I've downloaded some of the ebooks from simplycharlottemason.com and my local library has A Charlotte Mason Companion. Now to find the time to read!
~ April Faith ~
http://www.desiremyheart.blogspot.com
Wife to Andy since 3/98
Mom to:
Savannah Hope 12 (11/01) and Amaris Love 10 (6/03) doing Res2Ref
Jadon Andrew 8 (1/06) and Bethany Joy 6 (4/07) doing BLHFHG