New to HoD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gragg09

New to HoD

Post by gragg09 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:46 am

Hi, I just recently found out about HoD through a homeschool convention. I'm really interested in using the curriculum based on what I'm reading/seeing so far! My oldest child is only 3 and won't start "real" pre-school until fall next year, but I'm a planner and like to have things planned and purchased well in advance. :) I was wondering if I start her in Little Hearts for His Glory for kindergarten, will there be enough programs at the end for her to be able to finish out high school with the curriculum, or should I wait to use the Little Hearts book for first grade? If I do wait to use Little Hearts for first grade, then what is normally used for kindergarten. I see that LIttle Hands to Heaven is specifically a pre-school program, so that's why I ask. I appreciate anyone's feedback or experience about the curriculum!

Blessings, Amanda
dd-3
dd-1
baby due Aug '13
~Amanda
DD8- BLHFHG
DD6- Using K options from Little Hearts, but saving the guide for next year
DD4- LHTH
DS3
DD1

4Hispraise

Re: New to HoD

Post by 4Hispraise » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:39 am

Welcome, Amanda! I did not begin using HOD until my oldest was in 5th grade - so wish I had found it earlier in our homeschool journey. He is now finishing 8th grade & our family could not be more blessed. :D

So, now about your question. If you begin Little Hearts for His Glory for kindergarten, then you could potentially complete the HOD cycle your child's junior year. This, some place, was addressed on the board. Personally, I would hesitate to expect finishing early, only because there are times in our children's schooling (whether because they are really struggling or because life happens - a move, a new baby, an illness, etc) that slowing down to half-pace may be necessary. :D If your child happens to finish early, you could take that year to develop areas of special interest, complete CLEP testing, take college courses etc. I am sure that many women have more insight than I do, but this is just what I remember from a previous discussion of this board.

HTH!
Shelly- bride of 22 yrs. to My Hero
Mom to 2 treasures on earth, and 2 treasures in Heaven
DS - 16
DS - 7 Bigger Hearts For His Glory

hs.mama07

Post by hs.mama07 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi Amanda, so glad you found HOD! It's wonderful! :-) Just wanted to share that we are using Little Hearts for our DS5 for K right now and it is working great. Take a look at the placement chart when she gets closer to K age and if you think she is ready, I wouldn't hesitate to go ahead and use Little hearts for K.

http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

The most important thing is to put her in the guide that fits best. For us, if we use one guide every year (and don't ever slow down for some reason), we'll probably just use his senior year for other things, like the prior poster said. Have fun planning, it'll be here before you know it!! :-D

RestInHim

Post by RestInHim » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:13 pm

Great question! Thanks for asking! I was wondering the exact same thing...but I thought my math was just really bad :oops:
It's nice to hear that it's okay to finish early...and that it's okay to take your time and stretch things out if you need to. Thanks :D
Sara
Married to Jaysen for 8 years
Cassidy: Beyond, Cheerful Cursive, ERS, Math Mammoth
Joel: LHTH, BJU Math K5, A Reason for Handwriting K, The Reading Lesson
Timothy: 17 months

gragg09

Post by gragg09 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:53 pm

Thank you all for your feedback! After reading your input and thinking on it some more, I think (at this early point :wink: ) that I'll use LHfHG for kindergarten and first grade and use the different sets that correspond to each grade. My mom has been homeschooling going on 20 years and she doesn't seem to think the bit of repetition at that early age is a bad thing. With our growing little library we have here at home, I'm sure we can change things up a bit between the 2 years! I'm really excited to get to use this curriculum in the coming years and it's so nice knowing there is an abundance of mom's like you all for help/encouragement! :D
~Amanda
DD8- BLHFHG
DD6- Using K options from Little Hearts, but saving the guide for next year
DD4- LHTH
DS3
DD1