Help I am new and so confused!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
africamom

Help I am new and so confused!!

Post by africamom » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:43 am

Hi my name is Stacy and I planning in doing HOD next school year I have two daughers who will be 5yrs in K and 7yrs in 2nd grade. I really want to combine them for everything except LA and Math. When I look at the placement for the 7 yr old she places right in Beyond, the 5 year old in LHFHG. I don't really want to do two programs, I have LA and Math for the 5 year old. Do you think it would be too much to have her join in with the 7 year old doing Beyond? It's all so confusing I have also been throwing around MFW and Galloping the Globe. I feel led to do HOD, everything I have read seems to line up with the way I want to teach our girls. Any advice you have would be wonderful!

Blessings to all of you,
Stacy

we6rblessed

Post by we6rblessed » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:48 am

I don't have any input, as I am fairly new myself. I just wanted to say welcome :D
I look foward to finding out about you and your family. Are you currently living in Africa?? We sponsor a child in Kenya, and would love to go sometime and visit.
I know others will jump in here and help you out. There are such great women on this forum!!
Blessings,
~Linda

netpea

Post by netpea » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:20 am

You could do LHFHG with both using the 2nd grade options for your older. If you did that, I would suggest making using of the additional reading in the appendix. Are you living in Africa? That might make it harder to find the additional reading books unless you are somewhere with a really good library.

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:23 am

Hi Stacy! :D :D :D WELCOME :D :D :D

Do you plan to use HOD for math and reading/language arts??

I'm more leaning toward Little Hearts for you, just b/c as you progress through the guides, your older dd could use the extension packs and you'd still be right on level for both of them whereas if you place according to your older dd, your youngest would always be "tagging along" and that gets harder to do as you move up....does that make sense??

You might have to get both guides (Little Hearts and Beyond) to start with so your older dd could do the math and emerging readers and spelling, but as you move through the guides, there are multiple spelling/dictation lists, math schedules, etc. so that once you get to Bigger, you'd have both of them working out of the same guide.

Clear as mud?? I'm sure others will weigh in with more advice!
:D Mel
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

africamom

Post by africamom » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:39 am

Yes we live in Africa. We spent 7 years in East Africa and are now living in N. Africa for the past 4 years. It's been a wonderful experience with many blessings. We are leaving N. Africa to be closer to our college age girls in the states. We plan to continue mission work state side till our girls feel settled and then see what the Lord has for us. Thank you for being so interested and willing to help me.

Do you think our 7 year old would get bored with LHFHG? I guess then next year I could do beyond with both of them. I am willing to do two programs but really want to keep the girls together if I can.

Thank you SO much!

Stacy

susie in ms

Post by susie in ms » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:54 am

Hi Stacy!

I just wanted to say welcome!!
I personally don't think that your 7yo will get bored with Lil Hearts. The Burgess animal stories, the history stories, the science and history activities will most likely be loads of fun for her.
Susie ~ servant to Christ, wife to Ricky for 25 years, mom to Trisha 22, Kris 21, Joshua 19 and Hannah Grace almost 4.
Loving Little Hands to Heaven!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:04 am

Hi Stacy! :D I wanted to pop in and say welcome, too. You've already got some great advice here, so I don't have anything to add.

It's good to have you here!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Amey

Hi Stacy!

Post by Amey » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:01 am

Hi Stacy,

I just wanted to welcome you! *waving hello* :D My husband and I serve in Mexico, and my sister-in-law and her husband are missionaries to Liberia (we also have friends serving in Tanzania and Mauritania) Anyway, I just wanted to agree with the other ladies, that LHFHG is the program I would go with and just beef it up for your 2nd grader. It is easier to add to the program for an older child than to water it down for a younger and with extra reading it would be a great fit I think!
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009
using Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade son, finished Beyond last year for 1st
Come visit our family website! http://www.familyafair.com

africamom

Post by africamom » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:41 am

You ladies are so encouraging to me, thank you. I am thinking I will go with LHFHG for both girls. My question is this.............. I am planning on doing Rod and Staff Math for my 2nd grader, what should I do for LA? I don't really have a program, last year we did CLE which is all workbooks and she was SO bored. She can read so I would do the Emerging readers with her, but what else do I need to do?

Thanks again!

Stacy

Melanie

Post by Melanie » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:57 am

I think you could get the Beyond guide and just use the schedule for the emerging readers and use the spelling (there are 2 lists to choose from) and the grammar lessons....and that should do it! Oh, and you would want to add some copywork, but I would use memory verses in Little Hearts or passages from the emerging readers or make up sentences with the spelling words and save the copywork in Beyond for the next year.
Using LHFHG with
ds - '00
dd - '00
dd - '02

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi! what a great bunch of answers you already have! :-)
I jsut wnated to add that I've never felt (or heard expressed by other moms) that they wish they would have picked a higher level curriculum. :-) I've always thought my olders had just as much fun as the youngers; and in fact, my 14 yr old is now asking to "teach" his 4 yr old brother who is doing Little Hearts! :-) He likes to read the stories to him.
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink: