Using audio portions of HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
julsoliveira

Using audio portions of HOD

Post by julsoliveira » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:40 pm

How do HOD moms handle using the Audio Cd's that sometimes accompany the bible or history packages? If you're lucky enough to still have CD walkman on hand, then hats off to you 8) ! We unfortunately gave up our Walkmen for Ipods years ago. So I've considered the following:

*Buy a discman to keep on hand for the kids
*get a cd radio player from goodwill and use headphones with it
*Upload the discs to our ipod (but I don't know if that's allowed :?: )

Thanks Moms! (And Dad's if there be any here :wink: )

arstephia

Re: Using audio portions of HOD

Post by arstephia » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:27 pm

We download them to our computer and listen to them that way or sometimes the kids will put them on their MP3 players. We are playing them, not sharing them or selling them.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

Maadrose

Post by Maadrose » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:19 pm

Put them on an iPod. Anything to make school more fun and enjoyable for the kids and you! I can't imagine it would not be allowed.
"Big Mack"--Finishing up high school :)
"Cherry Berry Chiller"--geography
"Small fry"--Rev2Rev
"Happy Meal"--fun-school

http://sewhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/
Http://roseacademyacademics.blogspot.com

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Thanks :) It just makes sense doesn't it? Ok, well I know what I'm doing tonight!

**side note** I absolutely remember my Grandfather allowing me to sit at the kitchen table, and use his (huge) shiny, Sony Discman in the leather case. I felt so grown up and trusted. I would listen the the Amadeus sound track over, and over again. I wonder if my kids would get a similar thrill from getting to use Daddy's Ipod.

amysconfections

Post by amysconfections » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:48 am

I download them on the computer then transfer to my ipad. We use the ipad for listening together. My kids also have a cd player( cheap) in their rooms. So when my orders go off to do bible time then they use their CD player. My little ones listen to their CDs while playing in their room. I use CDs for room time for my little ones. We have enjoyed learning all kinds of things with CDs during room time while kids play. I highly recommend investing in lots of CDs such as Your Story Hour ( bible ones) , Jonathan Park, cedarmont kids CDs for little ones and The Singing Bible. My older ones have learned so much from Jonathan Park and Your story hour.
Amy
T-18 Masters degree Cyber Security WGU
T-16 Bachelors in Cyber Security WGU
A-12 Res to Ref
A-10 Res to Ref
Heart of Dakota user since 2007.

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:43 am

amysconfections wrote: I highly recommend investing in lots of CDs such as Your Story Hour ( bible ones) , Jonathan Park, cedarmont kids CDs for little ones and The Singing Bible. My older ones have learned so much from Jonathan Park and Your story hour.
We LOVE Johnathan Park! They also really love Adventures in Odyssey. We drive 16hours one way to visit family (all in one day) so we usually stock up on audio books and radio dramas for that. We end up doing our Latin cd in the car, and as well as any cd's we ended with from VBS.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:24 pm

I must be the only 'dinosaur' here. :lol: Each of our sons still has a tiny radio/CD player with headphones on their side tables next to their beds. They use those. I think they came from our little guy, Emmett, having reflux. Total quiet was a necessity for sanity once that little guy finally fell asleep, so the headphones/CD's came in handy. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Homeschooln2qts

Post by Homeschooln2qts » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:44 pm

Julie, you're not the only dinosaur! :lol: Both my kiddos have CD players with headphones in their rooms for listening to their CD's. They will also occasionally use the CD DVD-ROM on my laptop.
Miranda
DS (20) PHFHG, CtC, RtR, (skipped RevtoRev) MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, AHII; now a college sophomore
DD (17) Beyond, Bigger, PHFHG, (skipped CtC) RtR, RevtoRev, MtMM, WG, WH, AHI, now in AHII

https://theboobooandluluchronicles.wordpress.com/

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:27 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: From one dino to another - it's good to not be alone! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:03 am

Too funny You guys! prior to this post I had "forgotten" that my kids could use the CDROM on the laptop. :roll: I'm telling you, this year long deployment makes my brain feel like a browser with 50 tabs open! So much to do, so many things to be responsible for. I guess I just lapse sometimes lol. I hope my kids understand.

lissiejo

Post by lissiejo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Dinosaur #3 here! (Although my husband has an ipod for his marathon training.) We haven't converted to MP3's and so far my kids just listen in to everyone's stuff although we're only up to Bigger so at the moment it's only for the Bible portion of the day. My kids don't even have their own CD player! We have 1 in the school-room we all borrow.
Melissa (Pastor's wife in NC)

http://gracefilledhomeschooling.blogspot.com
Rose (12-years-old) - Revival to Revolution
Beth (10-years-old) - Creation to Christ
Grace (8-years-old) - Bigger Hearts for His Glory