How crucial are the book projects in DITHOR?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
farmfamily

How crucial are the book projects in DITHOR?

Post by farmfamily » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:09 pm

I almost never skip anything in HOD anymore, since I've learned it's all such good stuff, but I have to confess that the last two genres in DITHOR we've skipped the book project at the end. The reason I did this is because my daughter loves to read so much and LOVES all the DITHOR books, and so she is always very disappointed when we get to the project part. "You mean, I don't get to read today?" :(

We are currently on our second time through DITHOR 2/3 and have already completed all but one of the Book Projects to Send Home projects in that level. We only tried a character-based project once, and it flopped mostly because she didn't have a good attitude about it. A couple of the book projects were a success, I think, notably the one we did for nonfiction, but mostly she is just trying to get the project done - often asking, "if I do all this today can we start the next book tomorrow PLEASE!"

It's funny, because she is my most artistic child & LOVES the art projects in the guide. Right now she is busy making her ninth card to give away to family members tomorrow at Easter and they are all beautiful! I myself am not crafty, and don't much relish gathering supplies for her DITHOR projects when she is so unenthused. I have really enjoyed the last two times of just moving on to the next genre with her.

Now I am considering moving her to 4/5 to ease her into it before next fall. I don't think we will complete two full times through 2/3 (we are on our 4th genre of the second time through). She would like to keep skipping the projects, and so would I - perhaps until my next daughter is ready for DITHOR (maybe 8 months to a year away). Is that a terrible plan? Will we be missing out on something I haven't thought of yet?
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

MelInKansas

Re: How crucial are the book projects in DITHOR?

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:15 pm

Do you go through and do the activities in the DITHR book along with the reading for each day? Do you have her read aloud to do you or to herself? I find the 2/3 level projects (at least the one I have, which is for grade 2) don't take a full 5 days to complete and I either stretch them out or have her do it in 2-3 days and then move on. My daughter also loves to read and would love to read ahead or keep reading in the DITHR books because they are wonderful books. But as much as she likes reading for fun, this is literature study and therefore I feel like it does need to be a little more in-depth. Out of all the study they do on literature (storytime, narration/history) DITHR is where they really do the most analysis and thought about the books they are reading, so I do think that is really important. I just whet my daughter's appetite with other books, from the library mostly, that she can read at her own pace and in her own time.

One of the character projects for DITHR was actually making encouragement cards. I think, with what you described of your daughter, you could definitely have her do the projects and even enjoy them and want to do them, if somehow she didn't see them as "keeping her" from being able to read more books. Let her finish them quickly (even though that frustrates me sometimes because I have to get all the materials together at once which can sometimes be a lot of things).
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Maadrose

Post by Maadrose » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:26 pm

We have skipped projects before. It's your homeschool, do what works for you and your dd. :) they are a great at to review and add hands on for kids who like hand on.
"Big Mack"--Finishing up high school :)
"Cherry Berry Chiller"--geography
"Small fry"--Rev2Rev
"Happy Meal"--fun-school

http://sewhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/
Http://roseacademyacademics.blogspot.com

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:19 am

We have completed all of the levels of DITHOR, and the projects have helped my dc learn many important skills that would otherwise not be learned. As we prepare for high school for our oldest, I'm especially glad my eldest ds has done every aspect of DITHOR. The projects are a mixture of great review of what has been learned as well as a time to learn new skills. Being able to choose a project themselves (which BTW we let our dc do and your dd may enjoy :D, being able to (often) choose the topic of the project, being able to break a large project up into smaller segments to be completed over 5 days, being able to work within project parameters while also expressing creativity and individuality, being able to have the practice and confidence many times to perform or present or share your project with others, and being evaluated and assessed at the close of your project by your teacher are all pretty important skills for dc to hone, especially as they enter into middle school and high school. Not to mention, they are a way to wrap up a genre and what was learned before beginning another one. They provide a stopping point, and then a starting point for the next genre, and in doing so further help dc retain the differences among genres and the specifics of each (as opposed to just reading, reading, reading). :D

It is a wonderful thing that your dd loves to read! It is also a wonderful thing to help her work to strengthen skills she is not as strong in, as comfortable with, or as keen to do. I have often found these to be important life lessons along the way for our dc, and many times they teach them the most. My dc also love to read, and they blow through books like crazy for free time, but for DITHOR, I have found keeping the balance of skills intact to be important. Looking ahead to high school, and further down the road to college, projects are an important part of assessment. My college and especially my master's program in education was largely based on projects and portfolio assessments. I'm glad we've done them along the way with HOD with our dc. They have also taught our dc to think of others, as the encouragement card example shared in this thread shows. :D I think I'd let your dd look at the projects for each genre and choose one herself. Then, I'd have fun really getting creative with it! Have her share it with the family, take pictures, hang it on the fridge, or display it for others to enjoy! :D HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

farmfamily

Post by farmfamily » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:56 am

Thanks for your replies... I am still thinking all this over. MelinKansas - I do all activities in the guide as written except the last two times when I skipped the final project. I have also skipped the kick-off a few times. Sometimes she reads alone and sometimes to me, just as the guide suggests. In general we have really enjoyed DITHOR, and I do think she is gaining lots of good skills from working through it.

Julie - Thanks for reminding me of the value of doing the projects... I have let my daughter choose the project for a while now and she invariably chooses the "Book Project to Send Home" projects. Initially I did try hard to have fun and get creative, and we have had two or three projects that worked well, especially last year. I have been thinking that perhaps we are both just getting a little burnt out on the projects, having already done 12 genres in the past year and a half.

We will go to half speed DITHOR next year, and I think we may be able to manage 4 projects in a whole year! I was thinking that perhaps I would get her an extra book of the same genre to read in her free time during the 5 days of project time, so that she doesn't feel that I am keeping her from reading.
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 am

farmfamily,

You have already gotten such good responses from the ladies as you ponder through this stage that your daughter is entering. :D So, I'll just add a few things that I've discovered through my years teaching in the classroom and now homeschooling with the various personalities and dynamics that make up our home. :D

First I'll share that whenever my boys begin to make a fuss over not doing something that is typically a part of our schooling, I tend to take that pretty seriously. While I don't want to overreact, I also don't want to make a quick decision and just forego that particular area, simply because I need my kiddos to know that when I assign something I expect it to be completed without complaint and with a cheerful spirit. :wink:

In my mind, it is a differing situation when I decide that we need to shorten an assignment, or do it orally instead of writing it, or go over something in an abbreviated fashion. However, when it seems that my student is deciding whether or not we do an assignment simply by his reaction, it is now something that I need to ponder a bit more and get to the root of any heart issues that may be ruling the situation. While it can be as easy an answer as the student just really doesn't want to do the assignment, the greater worry in my mind is the pattern that is set up when the students feels he/she can get me to omit something, simply based on his/her attitude. :wink: This is when age begins to play a huge role in how I react to my student in this type of situation.

With my high school student, I will often sit down and discuss possible options. With my younger kiddos, I pretty much never take away an assignment completely. I will always do it in some form, and usually I just do exactly what is written. This is because many things at a younger age are about training a child in first-time obedience and in complying with a happy heart. Honestly, I've found through 23 years of teaching kiddos that the less negotiating that goes on during our day is better for promoting these habits. When my kiddos know they are required to complete what is set before them, with a cheerful and at the very least obedient spirit, our days go better. When I allow their attitudes to affect what I require of them, I suddenly have opened a can of worms where every assignment is now open to discussion or modification. :wink:

With this in mind, even if your daughter has been a very compliant sweet-spirited child up to this point, it is good to know that she is beginning to be at an age where she is wishing to assert her opinions and is testing the waters for your reaction. :D While you could just skip the projects and forego the battle, it is wise to consider what you will do when she reacts this way to the next thing she discovers is not her favorite.

I agree that since you have covered so many genres in a short time with DITHR, it is possible that you need a bit of a change in your schedule. So, I would advise doing formal DITHR 3 times a week and then just reading on the remaining two days of the week. In this type of schedule, you could either have her do her DITHR book all 5 days, with only 3 days of formal DITHR work (and just two days of reading a chapter from the same book); or you could have her save her DITHR book only for her formal DITHR days and have her just free-read on her off-DITHR days. :D I would keep this schedule for her year of Bigger Hearts. When you head into Preparing Hearts though, she will only do DITHR 3 times weekly, with no extra reading on her off-days. This is because the reading in other subjects really begins to pick up then, and we don't want to overwhelm her.

I will share that my own boys are avid readers and that they often wish they could charge ahead in their DITHR books. Yet, I remind them that the DITHR books are meant to be savored and read at a slower pace, like enjoying a good meal. This is a different type of reading then the immersing themselves in a book reading they do in their free-time. When my boys understand that there are two-different types of reading, and in DITHR we're seeking the more CM "living with a book for a longer period of time experience", they function better. :D

When you arrive at the project in DITHR, I would have your daughter do it. I would expect a cheerful spirit. I would address her attitude toward the projects as a heart issue and gently and lovingly talk with her about her attitude. I would also help her see that since she loves arts and crafts that you want to see that enthusiasm in her DITHR project. If you need to stray a bit (or even quite a bit) from the prescribed project to allow her to include more of her personality in the project do that by all means. Allow a bit of freedom in the project, just make sure that it somehow resembles something from the original instructions (so she isn't just running the entire show and making up her own project entirely). :wink:

The projects encourage a child to pause and really internalize and think upon the book that he/she has read. I know my boys remember the books best that they have done as projects for DITHR. This is because the project gives them a chance to pause and ruminate, before rushing headlong into the next book. If you think about it, the things we remember best are those that we "sit with" and ponder long after the reading, movie, audio, or video are done. They are the things that we share with others and through the sharing become etched in our memories for all time. :D If you forego the project, you are missing this opportunity to ruminate, ponder, and share.

Since it is truly your homeschool, you can do whatever you decide is best. You also know your daughter better than I do, and you may feel that what I am sharing is off-base. I just didn't want to let this thread pass, without sharing some lessons I've learned from years of working with hundreds of different kiddos.

I always try to remember that the habits of our children will last a lifetime, long after the assignments are done and filed away. This leads me to always ask what habits are being formed in my students by my actions as a teacher. Parenting and teaching are two different roles, yet as homeschool parents the training of our children overlaps into both roles affecting our entire day! :D This makes the habit training of our children a priority as we look to the many years that remain ahead of us on this homeschool journey. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

julsoliveira

Post by julsoliveira » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Okay. Because I'm the mom who totally forgot to even use her teachers guide for DITHOR, let alone the projects at the end of the lesson. :oops: Well. As Scarlet would say, tomorrow is another day. Better pull out all my books and give them a read through for tomorrows lesson! *facepalm*

farmfamily

Post by farmfamily » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:29 pm

Thank you so much, Carrie, for your very thoughtful and thought-provoking reply!

I read it just after I had had a long talk with my daughter because I felt she wasn't properly accepting instruction in math. (She hadn't wanted to write out her work for a math problem because it didn't fit her plan of how the page should be laid out - so she tried (incorrectly) to guess twice after which I made her write out the problem, amidst tears because it messed up her artistic layout!). We had a long talk, using several Proverbs talking about how the wise child listens to instruction. I bathed the whole thing in prayer and afterwards was thankful to God for this opportunity to talk to my dd about her attitude.

So, anyway, I don't think your answer is at all off-base, but rather a little convicting. I think I can say I have never before skipped anything in school because my kids complained - but perhaps in this case I have caved to pressure over a longer period. My daughter has been testing the waters in other ways lately too... and she is easily the biggest complainer in this house. sigh.

Perhaps skipping the projects really has sent the wrong message...

I think your suggestions are good and I shall try to follow them. I was thinking of having her read the extensions for Bigger next year (minus A Child's Story of America and the science textbook) with no assignments - so she will still be able to read those on the days she is not doing DITHR. She will be 9 in August, and considered a 4th grader for Bigger. I know she will love reading the extensions. She is really a very strong reader.

I just wanted to add that I am so very thankful for the wonderful book choices in HOD. I think we have loved every single one of the books we have read. Pagoo was a special favorite this year. I am quite picky and my daughter is sensitive, but I find we never have to worry about the HOD books!
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC