Little Hearts or Beyond?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jeanniemarie01

Little Hearts or Beyond?

Post by jeanniemarie01 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Hello all,

I am considering HoD for my 6 year old girl. We started with Sonlight Core A this year and she has really struggled with sitting long enough to listen to all of the reading involved and starts to moan or say "uh oh" every time I say it's time to do some school. She is a visual to Kinesthetic learner which is why I am strongly considering HoD. Because she has now declared to me that she hates books and being read to, I have to make the switch! I'd like to make the switch now instead of waiting and turning her off to learning even more. My question is where should I begin? She has already been through a half year of "Kindergarten." She loves the Singapore Math and seems to grasp it well and she loves science. She really struggles with writing and obviously reading. She knows most of her letters and most of their sounds but sometimes still confuses them. If someone can give me their honest opinion who has been through these two programs, Little Hearts or Beyond Little Hearts, I would be very appreciative.

TrueGRIT

Re: Little Hearts or Beyond?

Post by TrueGRIT » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:19 pm

Hi! Welcome to the board.

You should check out the placement chart
http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php
This will help some.

Also remember that Little Hearts (LHFHG) can be used for 1st grade as well. My ds is almost 6 and we went through a "kindergarten" with him first, then when I could afford it we got LHFHG and started midyear. He is in unit 14 and loves it. We have some of the K options, and some 1st grade options. He is very advanced for his age, but I can't see him doing Beyond yet, especially keeping up with the writing. ( and I have done it with my older son).

Only you can make a final decision, but I hope this helps.
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Welcome to the HOD Board, jeanniemarie01! :D TrueGrit gave some solid advice already - the placement chart is the very best place to begin. From what you have shared, I think your dd would love LHFHG! Many, many families use it as a first grade program. Your dd can just continue on where she is with Singapore math, only you can add the fun hands-on math activities planned in LHFHG. This brings me to the hands-on portions of LHFHG - I think your dd will LOVE them! My bodily-kinesthetic learner sure does. I think she would have a blast with the history activities, the twice a week science experiments, the get up and move rhymes in motion, the art activities, and even the practicing of the Bible verses (which often involves physical activity, like tossing/rolling balls, etc. - my dc's favorite!). :D Not to mention, the books in LHFHG are awesome! They are very narrative, interesting, and well-suited to my 6 yo ds 's interests and maturity level. They are short and sweet, but packed full of good learning. What are your thoughts though? Looking forward to getting to know you! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

ShariCA

Post by ShariCA » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:39 pm

I'm doing LHFHG with my 6 and 7 year old boys and they really like it. One thing that might benefit you and your daughter with this program is that the readings are short. For a child who is burned out from listening this might be a benefit. I know that as the programs go on the amount of "listening" required goes up, but I'm not sure how much since we've only done Little Hearts. Because it gives options for K and 1st grade it really is easy to customize.

brokenopen

Post by brokenopen » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:59 pm

We have done Beyond before and currently have a child, 7, in Little Hearts. I would agree with these wonderful ladies that Little Hearts just may be a perfect fit for your family. We use some of the K options, and also the 1st grade options.... I can't imagine a child not enjoying the read alouds in Little Hearts, they are so wonderful and fun! The whole family gets quiet when we read them around here!
Mom to 4
DS11 Preparing
DS8 Bigger Hearts
DD6 Little Hearts
DD1

krazzymommy

Post by krazzymommy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:02 pm

We had bought Little Hearts for my daughter's K year (this year) and partly due to a stressful move, we shelved HOD for most of the year. The Lord has drawn me back to it, so my daughter is going to be finishing this year with Little Hearts, and doing it for about half of next year (1st grade), as well. My kids love the rhymes in Little Hearts. My son (2nd grade) will even come over and take part with us. My daughter loves animals, so she really enjoys the Thornton Burgess books, too.
~Monica
DD8 - Bigger
DS10 - CtC

We've enjoyed: Little Hands to Heaven, Little Hearts for His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, and Bigger Hearts for His Glory - took a break from HOD for awhile; excited to get back into it!

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:25 pm

Another vote for Little Hearts!
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:41 pm

I started my oldest with Beyond at 6. I wish now that I would have "held her back" (in my mind... not really) with LHFHG. She did fine with Beyond. But she got so much more out of it as she got older.

Joyful3

Post by Joyful3 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:09 am

We started this year with Sonlight A as well, and switched to Little Hearts midway through the year when I just began to feel like I was reading over his head. I knew, too, that he needed to move. I'm so glad we switched!!! The shorter readings and fun stories have helped my son connect with what we are reading. He particularly likes the days he gets to act things out, and would probably do it every time if I let him (sometimes I do!)
Leah
DS 14, 9th grade, public school
DD 12, 7th grade, RTR
DS6, 1st grade, public school