Help with the mezuzah case in CTC

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lmercon

Help with the mezuzah case in CTC

Post by lmercon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:55 am

Feeling a little dense here, but the instructions aren't computing for me! We are to make the clay mezuzah case for the history project for unit 30 of CTC. Can someone explain how you use the spoon to make the rectangle? Is the opening to be on one of the long sides of the case? If anyone has a picture, that would be great. I usually have no trouble with these kinds of things. I'm going to blame it on my recent birthday or the bun in the oven, or maybe both!
Thanks,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Kirsten

Re: Help with the mezuzah case in CTC

Post by Kirsten » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:32 am

Well, I was also looking for help and maybe a picture! We are trying to figure it out now!
-Kirsten
Creation to Christ 2012-2013
Aaron 11/2000
Heidi 1/2003

lmercon

Re: Help with the mezuzah case in CTC

Post by lmercon » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:49 pm

We found that the clay that we made with the recipe was way too soft and wouldn't hold it's shape, so we used store-bought air dry clay. It worked really well. We just took the rectangle and folded it over itself allowing a hollow area inside. He pressed the clay together at the seam. We used a straw to make holes at the top and bottom, and he added some clay decorations on top. After about a week, we finally got around to painting it. It turned out well.
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!