My dd wants to hear your dc's opinions of DITHOR

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
John'smom

My dd wants to hear your dc's opinions of DITHOR

Post by John'smom » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:11 pm

My dd would love to hear your dc's reviews of DITHOR. She is unsure/nervous about starting it this next year. She specifically asked me to come on here and ask other kids what they thought about it. I hope this post is ok.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

Maadrose

Re: My dd wants to hear your dc's opinions of DITHOR

Post by Maadrose » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:26 am

From Grace age 11 grade 5:
Sometimes it's challenging, but you will love it. It's a good challenge. The projects are fun and the assignments are not too long.

From Alivia age 9 grade 4:
I like to read. The book selections are fun. My favorite book was in grandmas attic. I made a character project about this book. It was fun to make.

From Mackenzie age 13 grade 7:
It has a good selection of books. It's nice that the books are broken down into small chunks. My favorite genres are historical fiction and mystery. You will like the discussions that you have with your teacher.
"Big Mack"--Finishing up high school :)
"Cherry Berry Chiller"--geography
"Small fry"--Rev2Rev
"Happy Meal"--fun-school

http://sewhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/
Http://roseacademyacademics.blogspot.com

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:38 pm

From my ds 10 year old grade 5. "The books are so good to read it is hard to stop after only 1 chapter. i can't pick a favorite book they are all so good. I love the projects. My favorite was a board with Owl tracks from the book Owls in the Family. Another favorite was making a museum after reading Dragons of the Deep. Sometimes the questions are tough to answer."
I have doneDITHOR since 2002/3 so I am biased. My dd are 19 & 20 who used it from 3-8th grade. I am really enjoying Carrie's selections. Initially we only used book list. The book pack suggestions surpass the list.
Tammy

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:20 am

Thanks to the ladies and all the children. It was a big help for dd. I too loved reading what children thought of DITHOR. Anyone else want to share?
Edwena

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:44 am

Edwena,

Here are my own boys, very biased, word-for-word, impromptu thoughts! :D

I enjoy DITHR because you get to read some awesome books that have great storylines and great morals. The second reason I like DITHR is because you get to do short and fun activities to help you understand your book better, allowing you to become more engrossed in the story. The only problem you'll have with DITHR is waiting for the next day of reading! :D
Shaw (age 14 - has used all levels of DITHR, starting when he was in 2nd grade)

I think DITHR is a wonderful way to learn about new books that became my all-time favorites! There were so many to read, not too difficult, very easy to begin with, and never got too hard, increases as your level increases. You will surely be able to do this! :D That's what I feel about it. I loved it! :D
Greyson (age 10 - has used Levels 2/3 and 4/5 of DITHR)

Blessings,
Carrie

moedertje

Post by moedertje » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:52 pm

My ds 10 says he likes to read the books and do the fun projects that go along with the books. :D It makes the books even more exciting! It is not difficult he said, but he does not care for the writing part. (He is my child that does not like to write at all) :mrgreen: He is doing DITHOR 4/5 this year!

My ds 7, who started DITHOR this year says it is fun, because we get to read nice books, he wishes he could finish his books in one day! :D He enjoyed his activity and wanted to share it. He read Johnny Appleseed for folk tale and we did the project out of Book Projects to Send Home 2/3 :D
ImageImage
Raising Arrows; Psalms 127:4
ds17, Class of 2020, now at IHOPU
ds 15, WH
dd 13, MTMM
In year 1 of homeschooling it all started with LHTH for us.

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:00 pm

I love hearing from your dc. I am going to bookmark the thread as an encouragement for anyone else struggling to decide whether to use DITHOR.

Dd and I spent at least 30 minutes together reading the description of the boy/girl book packs. She chose all the books that she is going to read when using DITHOR and then the other books she gets to read this summer. She actually chose more of the books in the boy pack. There were five from the boy pack 3 from the girl pack and 1 (Little Pilgrim's Progress) is actually a choice in both packs. Then she said, "But I get to read all the books. Right, Momma?" Music to my ears. I'm looking forward to using DITHOR with her. She is my sociable Sue who is very visual and I think she'll love the graphic organizers.

Again, thanks for taking the time to type this up for her. She's excited.

moedertje, please tell your dc that we think they did a great job on their projects!!!
Edwena

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:37 pm

From Wyatt (now 14 yo, having done all of DITHOR and now doing WG BJ Lit):
I loved DITHOR because of all the great books I was able to read and because of the interesting and fun projects! The character traits in DITHOR gave me some good guidelines in life. Doing the follow-ups with DITHOR prepared me for the follow-ups in high school with Bob Jones Lit.

From Riley (10 yo, having done 2/3 DITHOR and 4/5 DITHOR):
I love DITHOR because of all of the interesting and fun ways I did projects! Some of my favorite projects so far have been dressing up in clothes pretending to be characters, cooking meals, and doing goal charts for Godly character traits - because I love earning M & M's! I really love the exciting books too!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie