Placement correct? Emerging reader level?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
dnamom

Placement correct? Emerging reader level?

Post by dnamom » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:40 pm

I am planning on switching to HOD for next fall. I have two children (son who just turned 8 and daughter who is almost 7). For the most part, I am pretty sure that they fall right in line with Beyond for the majority of their abilities, with my son doing the 2a and 2b math and my daughter doing 1a and 1b math.

The problem that I am having is determining the reading level. My son reads well but does not like reading so I am still considering him an emerging reader since I have to walk him through a lot to get him to read (he has Asperger's and has been reading since 3 but it's a struggle to get him to read on his own). He could easily fit into an independent reader by ability but would not actually read independently without a ton of prompting.

My daughter's placement is the concern. She is just starting to read well without a lot of help. She can read most 1, 2, and 3 syllable words. With some words, she needs a bit of help (especially the "exceptions to the rule" words). Is she considered a beginner reader or an emerging reader? I would think emerging since she is understanding phonics pretty well and can sound out many new words without much help. She can get through most small first grade level books with help on only a few of the words. We will be finishing out the current curriculum through some of the summer so she will have a few more months of practice on reading from this point. So am I right in choosing emerging reader for her?

Thank you in advance for any guidance on this.
Amy
DH 11 Years
DS 8 ~ BLHFHG
DD 7 ~ BLHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Placement correct? Emerging reader level?

Post by Carrie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Hello, and welcome to the HOD Board! :D We're glad to have you here! :D From what you've shared so far, I would lean toward placing your pair of kiddos in Beyond. Just a little more information will help us to be sure. Is your almost 7 year old able to copy a sentence or two at a time? Is she ready to being some basic spelling lists (i.e with 3 and 4 letter words)? Can she listen to chapter book style readings (with few to pictures) and comprehend them fairly well? :D

One more thing to consider is what your daughter will need to complete her trip through phonics. If desired you can finish her phonics with her current program. Otherwise, if this is not an option, or if you are desiring a change, we can discuss possible options for that as well. :D Will she have completed her phonics instruction by the time she begins HOD? If you get a chance to share what you are thinking in this area that will help too!

Blessings,
Carrie

dnamom

Post by dnamom » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:01 pm

Carrie,

My daughter writes pretty well and I feel that she can copy sentences at this point. She will randomly copy words she likes all the time and has written a few short sentences. She does have some basic spelling down (dad, cat, dog, etc.) so I feel that she can do the basic spelling lists now. She is good at listening to readings and loves stories. She loves for me to read her any type of book. My son is more the issue, as his attention span is limited, but I know the work around with that because of his special needs. They both comprehend pretty well (even when my son looks like he isn't listening...he really is).

I don't think she will complete her phonics by the end of summer (maybe 80%). I am open to ideas of options through HOD for that. I would prefer to not do two different curricula in the fall until I get into a pattern with HOD and see where everything stands with our schedule and abilities to see if we will even need to do so. I would appreciate any thoughts on adding a bit more phonics into the program for her if you feel that this would work better for her.

The current curriculum that we are using is not faith based and that has bothered me (not any character building at all, straight education only). It is a nice program, it's just not what I feel we should be doing at this time. I ran across information on HOD about 3 weeks ago. Ever since then, it keeps getting brought up in various places (online and in real life). After hard prayer, I think this is where God is leading us in our educational journey.

I am a little confused on the things I should be buying to do a complete switch to HOD for fall. I have a pretty full cart right now set up but am unsure if I have what I would need or if there is something that I don't need in there. I was a little confused. So far, I have:

400A - BLHFHG - Economy Package
400B - BLHFHG - Basic Package with Math 1A & 1B
402B - BLHFHG - Primary Math - 2A Textbook
402C - BLHFHG - Primary Math 2A Workbook
402D - BLHFHG - Primary Math 2B Textbook
402E - BLHFHG - Primary Math 2B Workbook
502G - BHFHG - Singapore Answer Key 1A-3B
400GO - BLHFHG - Emerging Reader Set with The Beginner's Bible
400D - BLHFHG - Deluxe Package - Classic Set

Is this what I should be buying for my children for fall for the program (considering what I stated above)? Am I leaving something out? Do I have something on there that I shouldn't? Any suggestions on what to add (phonics or otherwise)?

I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. My husband and I have prayed a lot on this and feel that this is the direction that we are being lead for the fall.

Amy
Amy
DH 11 Years
DS 8 ~ BLHFHG
DD 7 ~ BLHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:06 pm

dnamom,

Thanks for sharing a bit more about your daughter. :D I was not thinking thoroughly through your son's special learning challenges, so before we go on, do you think you could answer the same questions that I asked about your daughter for your son too? :D

Also, has your son been doing Singapore math in the past, or would this be a new switch for him?

Blessings,
Carrie

dnamom

Post by dnamom » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:11 pm

Carrie,

My son's autism is very high functioning. He is extremely intelligent and has had IQ testing while being diagnosed. They have determined him to be on the upper end of intelligence as far back as 3 years old (I guess what some would call gifted). While my son does not like to write, he writes very well. He is very smart and can pick up quickly on things. My problems with him are his stubbornness and him getting overwhelmed if I put too much in front of him at a time. I have to give him one assignment at a time and not let him see what else is coming up. He has to focus on one thing or else it gets to be too much for him.

My son taught himself how to read by 3 1/2. He just read anything and everything out of nowhere without me realizing that he could. I learned that he could read when he started reading the parent portion of a children's devotional bible over my shoulder. We had never read that portion of the devotional before. It was as if he had always known how to read. He can pronounce almost any written word put in front of him. He reads very well...when he wants to. Our challenge is getting him to read, which we work around that by doing reading aloud and alternating reading with him at times. His spelling is lacking though. He can spell smaller words (3 and 4 letter words) and guesses on bigger words. He has mastered phonics (again, somehow self taught before I actually used curriculum with him) and actually gets bored when I try to teach him phonics because he already understands it all. We have used Handwriting Without Tears as their handwriting curriculum up to this point.

He has not used Singapore math in the past, so would it be better to do 1a and 1b with him? He has already done light fractions and percentages, addition and subtraction (including some carrying numbers to the next column), and some minimal multiplication and division (but I would not say he knows those well at this point). Most of the math he has done up to this point has been using manipulatives. He can tell time somewhat (he knows the hours and usually gets the minutes correctly but I would not say he has mastered it, yet). He is still learning money. He picks up on math much easier than his sister. Usually, he can tell what the answer is before actually figuring it out. I am trying to train him to work the problem out and not just guessing the answer (which he usually guesses correctly). He does have some savant abilities (diagnosed as such) with letters and numbers and can pull answers out of the air...literally. He will grab at the air and tell me the answer and it is correct. I asked him how he got it and he said it was right in front of him hanging there.

He has had his diagnosis since 28 months old and we have been involved in a lot of therapies with him since 22 months old, including therapeutic studies through major universities. So my concerns are not so much with his academic abilities as much as with me being able to work around his sensory and OCD issues to get him to do the work. We have learned many tricks to deal with those issues.

Thank you again for taking the time to walk through this with me. We want to make the best choices as we can in starting this new curriculum.

Amy
Amy
DH 11 Years
DS 8 ~ BLHFHG
DD 7 ~ BLHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Amy,

Thank you so much for sharing about both your daughter and your son. I loved your descriptions and now have a better picture of your kiddos. :D

I agree that Beyond would be a very good placement for both kiddos. I would encourage you to finish out your daughter's phonics instruction. If you are needing to switch to a different phonics in order to do this, I would recommend The Reading Lesson as being easier to join mid-way through. I would either begin somewhere in the middle and finish it out, or you could begin at the beginning and move quickly through what she already knows. The program includes no writing, so you can travel through it as quickly or as slowly as needed. I'd recommend using it with the CD if your daughter likes that type of thing, or without it if she does not. :D Here is a link to The Reading Lesson: http://www.heartofdakota.com/phonics.php

As far as your son goes, I would place him in the Emerging Reader's Set purely for enjoyment's sake and bearing in mind the battling over reading. I would follow the schedule in the Appendix of Beyond daily for the Emerging Reader's Set. I would also recommend the Beginner's Bible for him as the first book in the Emerging Reader's Set. :D

It sounds like the spelling and grammar within Beyond will suit them both well. :D There is also copywork within Beyond for handwriting practice.

As far as math goes, I would lean toward placing your son in 1B and then 2A. Starting with 2A will be very difficult, as it starts out adding double digits and triple digits and borrowing from 0's etc. When you start with 1B, you will begin with the math plans mid-way through the Beyond guide. You would just place a sticky note there for him and then move into 2A (scheduled in the Appendix of Beyond) when you finish 1B.

If you did desire for math to be easier to teach, you could potentially combine both your kiddos in 1A/1B and just teach your way straight through the plans in the Beyond guide with both kiddos. This is an option that has hands-on lessons to accompany the teaching and would give your son some review on concepts he's had already. :D

So, your list of what is needed would look like this:
The Reading Lesson (see link above)
400B - BLHFHG - Basic Package with Math 1A & 1B (plus another set of 1A/1B workbooks if you place both kiddos in this level)
402B - BLHFHG - Primary Math - 2A Textbook (only if you place your son in 1B/2A)
402C - BLHFHG - Primary Math 2A Workbook (only if you place your son in 1B/2A)
400D - BLHFHG - Deluxe Package - Classic Set (I would lean more toward either the Boy or Girl Set as they are easier read alouds listening-wise) Link here: http://www.heartofdakota.com/boys-pack.php
http://www.heartofdakota.com/girls-pack.php

Blessings,
Carrie

dnamom

Post by dnamom » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:47 pm

Carrie,

Thank you so much! I am so blessed that you took the time out of your busy schedule to help with my children's academic needs. I feel that putting my son in the same math as my daughter would work well, only because he works better if I can teach them simultaneously. So, I have taken out the 2a and 2b and put an extra workbook in for 1a and 1b. I have changed the deluxe package to include the boy set, since my daughter likes any story and will enjoy it a lot. She tends to enjoy things that her brother enjoys quite a bit so I feel this would be a better fit to keep him engaged in the curriculum. I, also, put the reading made easy in there for my daughter. She is a book work type of gal so I feel that the CD won't be necessary.

So my complete list includes:

400B - BLHFHG - Basic Package with Math 1A & 1B
303J - LHFHG - Reading Made Easy
400E - BLHFHG - Deluxe Package - Boy Interest Set
302F - LHFHG - Primary Math 1A Workbook
302H - LHFHG - Primary Math 1B Workbook

This sounds like a wonderful fit for us. I will probably just start the Reading Made Easy with her from the beginning and advance her at the pace needed until she needs to slow down a bit. I will probably get the new curriculum within the next few weeks and just switch her phonics to the beginning of that right away to catch her up a bit (and possibly be almost finished with it) by the time fall starts so that she can be more at pace with the rest of the work.

Thank you again for how quickly and accurately you have helped me. I am so thankful that I found HOD and blessed to have such guidance.

Amy
Amy
DH 11 Years
DS 8 ~ BLHFHG
DD 7 ~ BLHFHG

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:24 pm

It sounds like you have a good plan! :D I'm so glad to help!

I did want to warn you that 1A may feel young and short at first, but just hang in there because it is laying the groundwork and thinking skills for much more difficult concepts to come. If 1A just seems way too easy for your son, you can easily move on up to 1B. Starting with 2A, Singapore gets more difficult in each 'A' book and does not really review at the beginning of the 'A' books but just plows ahead, so I wouldn't be in too big of hurry to get to the next level. :D Here is the scope and sequence for 1A/1B:

Daily math lessons are included in the “Learning the Basics” part of the plans. These activities use concrete objects and hands-on experiences to introduce mathematical concepts through guided exploration. The workbooks Primary Mathematics 1A & 1B by Times New Media provide a text connection for each math lesson.

A brief scope and sequence of the math concepts is listed by unit below
(Number ‘1’ corresponds to unit 1, number ‘2’ corresponds to unit 2, etc.):
1 - numbers ‘1’ - ‘10’: comparing sets, missing numbers, number pairs
2 - pairs of numbers with sums up to ‘10’
3 - addition: missing addends, addition stories, number sentences
4 - addition: commutative property, number combinations, sentences
5 - addition sums to ‘10’, introduction of subtraction: stories, sentences
6 - subtraction: sentences, fact families, counting backwards
7 - addition & subtraction sentences, word problems, ordinal numbers
8 - ordinal numbers, review of concepts
9 - grouping and counting up to ‘20’, comparing and ordering numbers
10 - adding and subtracting by grouping tens and ones
11 - adding and subtracting up to ‘20’: counting up or back, fact families
12 - review, plane and solid figures: recognizing, naming, comparing
13 - plane and solid shapes: comparing sizes, completing patterns
14 - comparing: length, height, weight; nonstandard measurement
15 - weights: measuring and comparing; review, comparing groups
16 - sets: comparing, matching one-to-one, adding, subtracting
17 - graphs, numbers to ‘40’: matching, counting, number words
18 - grouping: tens and ones, missing addends, counting patterns
19 - tens and ones: writing numbers, adding, subtracting
20 - tens and ones: counting to add or subtract; addition facts
21 - subtraction: facts, with zeros, patterns; addition: 3 addends
22 - review, introduction to multiplication as repeated addition
23 - multiplication: symbols, stories, number sentences; review
24 - review, introduction of division as sharing equally
25 - dividing items into equal groups, fractions: halves, quarters
26 - shapes: halves, quarters; telling time: hour, half hour
27 - writing times: hour, half hour; review, numbers to ‘100’
28 - numbers to ‘100’: tens and ones, number words, adding, patterns
29 - numbers to ‘100’: sequencing, hundreds chart, tens and ones
30 - adding numbers up to ‘100’, double-digit addition with regrouping
31 - counting back to subtract up to ‘100’, double-digit subtraction
32 - double-digit subtraction with regrouping, review, counting money
33 - money: counting, writing amounts, comparing sets, making change
34 - review of previous concepts

Blessings,
Carrie

dnamom

Post by dnamom » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:30 pm

Carrie,

Thanks for the run down. I think that it will be a good refresher for them and reinforce the things that my daughter is not catching onto very quickly. We can probably get through a good bit of the first half pretty quickly as a refresher. Then slow back down as the work becomes more new items and less review. I am happy to give them a stronger base (especially my daughter who struggles with math).

Thank you again for all of your help. I think this will be a fun and exciting new year for them.

Amy
Amy
DH 11 Years
DS 8 ~ BLHFHG
DD 7 ~ BLHFHG

dnamom

Post by dnamom » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:38 am

I just ordered and am getting the kids excited about their new curriculum. :D
Amy
DH 11 Years
DS 8 ~ BLHFHG
DD 7 ~ BLHFHG

dnamom

Post by dnamom » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:43 am

Carrie, I just wanted to update:

We started a light schedule of BLHFHG this summer to get my kids used to the change in smaller doses. We are starting unit 5 next week. I would just like to say THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for the huge change in attitude towards schooling from my son who has autism. You did a wonderful job in trying to find a fit academically for both of my children.

Holding my son back a little to be with his sister who is a year younger than he is made all the difference in the world. His focus is so much better since he is no longer trying to pay more attention to her curriculum than his, he tries to help her along where she struggles, and he actually asks to do school on occasion. He is writing without much complaint (he rarely wrote before without a huge fight) and is actually drawing and participating in the art projects without a struggle. I would never have believed that something like finding a new curriculum could make him do a 180 degree turn.

I just want to say that I am so pleased to be a part of the HOD family now and recommend it to everyone all the time. I still have a bit of a struggle with my son but this curriculum has made a world of difference and we are blessed to have found something that works so well.
Amy
DH 11 Years
DS 8 ~ BLHFHG
DD 7 ~ BLHFHG

TrueGRIT

Post by TrueGRIT » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:39 pm

dnamom,

I am so glad you chose to post an update. It is so great to hear how your beginnings in Beyond have gone. :D
We are going to be doing it for a second time in our household by year end - there is sooo much fun in the guide!
Enjoy!
Mikki
Ds 12- tutoring
Ds 9- Preparing
Dd 7 - Beyond and ER's
Ds 2- LHTH (sort of)

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:09 pm

That is so wonderful, Amy!! I am so happy for you and your family, just awesome. :D
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG