Another 9th Grade MtMM vs Geog Guide Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
holdinon

Another 9th Grade MtMM vs Geog Guide Question

Post by holdinon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Carrie,
I almost feel guilty about posting another "case study" for you. I do know that we will be ok whichever way we go, so...I promise I won't hold it against you if you don't get to this :wink: .

Based on what you said in the other thread (specifically about the depth and spiritual connections in the Modern guide), we are leaning toward doing right side Geo guide and left side of MtMM. I just would kind of like a "what Carrie would do in this situation" :wink:

DD will be 15 in September (going into 9th grade in our state). She has been with HOD since 5th grade, started with Preparing with extensions. She did CtC in 6th, RtR in 7th, and is currently doing RevtoRev for 8th. We have done all guides completely as written, with the exception of math. She has always used the extensions; however, only did the readings for Preparing and CtC. She did only one of the extension assignments per unit for RtR and is now (in RevtoRev) doing two extension assignments per unit (doing the readings everyday).

Math: Currently in TT Pre-Alg every day, and twice a week does a lesson from Richard Fisher's pre-alg (in addition to TT). She makes mostly A's in the TT lessons, and though I don't grade the Fisher workbook, she would have A's on those also). We plan to do VidoeText Alg for 9th/10th.

Science: Science of any sort is her favorite subject, but she prefers life sciences. She has done the advanced science for RevtoRev and has done well. She's gotten frustrated on some of the advanced days where there is more building or detailed work, but has made A's on the three quarterly exams she's done so far (as well as done well in her workbook, though I haven't officially graded those).

Language Arts: By the end of this year, she will be finished with Level 8 dictation (or at least very, very close if not), and finished with Level 6 of R&S English. She has done grammar everyday this year, rather than half speed to meet the goal of being done with level 6 by the end of 8th grade. For Dithor, she is working through the level 7/8 book pack. I think she will have done all but one book by the end of the school year. (She is on her second 6/7/8 student book; she did the 6/7 book pack with the first workbook). She has done well with each of the writing programs--she enjoys them and seems to be a natural. (I will admit that writing is my least favorite thing to evaluate....I am not confident in my own writing abilities, and am never quite sure my critiquing skills are up to par and/or beneficial....but she likes to write, and I think she does quite well. In addition to the writing programs in CtC, RtR, and RevtoRev, she has also done "just for fun" (and no teaching/evaluation from me) the one year adventure novel dvd (we had received it free), as well as written many short stories.

She does well with narrations. She does better with written ones than oral ones. She typically writes several paragraphs for written narrations that are on topic and interesting. Oral narrations are either very brief and to the point, or they go on and on for what seems like forever :roll: (I'm not sure which is better :? ).

Work habits: She is my distractable child. She does take more time than she should to do her schoolwork, and has very little organizational skills. This is the part that has worried me about the geography guide. Though, honestly, I just don't know that another year is going to make that much difference for this gal in terms of time management. She does know that she needs to work on these things, but knowing and doing are of course two different things. She generally works from 9:00-4:00 or 4:30. We usually have about an hour for lunch, and she takes other breaks that add up to about an hour or so. So actual school time of approx 6 hours. I guess with doing the extra English and math, plus extensions, maybe she's not as slow as I was thinking :lol: . As far as outside activities, we meet friends at a park one afternoon a week (and this is only done if all schoolwork is done). She also volunteers a a veterinary clinic, but there is no set schedule for that. If her work is done, and things are generally going well, she goes one day a week (usually the "5th" day---normally we do school 5 days, except when she volunteers). Other than church (Sunday and Wed evenings), that's all the on-going outside activities she has.

Wow! This ended up being long. Now I feel even more guilty :roll: .

Bottom line is....if we were coming to HOD new, I would put her in the geography guide. We just don't want to miss MtMM history. But at the same time, I know we won't want to miss what's to come in the last guide either :D . I guess I'm wondering mostly would it be too lenient to put a child that is capable (and willing) to do the geography guide into MtMM instead. I don't know if it makes a difference in the answer, but she will most likely be going directly to a private university (not a community college) after high school.

Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

my3sons

Re: Another 9th Grade MtMM vs Geog Guide Question

Post by my3sons » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi Angie! Carrie is out of town right now. However, I know she will get back to you on this, but it may take a week. I feel unable to weigh in on this myself. I just don't want to steer you wrong, and I try to avoid giving advice about guides I haven't taught. I just thought I'd let you know I'll pass this on! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:06 pm

Thanks for checking in, Julie! I know Carrie is busy, and that she'll get her when she can. No worries there! :wink: We have plenty of time to make final decisions. Although deciding before that long-awaited "new package official email" would be awesome :D I always love getting that email! :lol:
2013-2014 year:

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:22 am

Just shamelessly (or not so shamelessly) bumping this one up :oops: (along with mamas4bugs high school questions too :)
2013-2014 year:

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:30 pm

I think we're in a similar boat. :) If we were coming in new, Caleb would definitely place in the Geography guide. He will also go to a regular 4 year college, although he will likely take some dual credit classes his senior year at the local CC and transfer those in.

I'll be interested to see Carrie's ideas (when she's not flu ridden! Poor family--I loathe the flu) . Thanks for bumping my thread, too! :)
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:54 pm

Angie,

Thank you so much for your patience in hearing back from me! :D I wanted to get some time to sit down and really think through placement with you, and I'm sure you know how challenging it can be to find that "quiet moment" to think clearly! :D

You did a wonderful job of sharing clearly about your daughter in each area! That is a huge help to me as we ponder together what may be the best path for your daughter to take. I do think that from what you've shared that your daughter would fit well within the geography guide academically. With having done DITHR 6/7/8 all the way through twice, being almost finished with the last level of studied dictation (Level 8), and doing the writing programs scheduled in our guides, along with writing written narrations very well, and completing all of Rod and Staff English 6; she is perfectly poised to begin the lit./comp/grammar as scheduled in the World Geography guide. :D

Since she has completed the Advanced Version of the science in Rev2Rev this year, she is also well-prepared to begin the IPC science scheduled within the World Geography guide. :D Her math is also on track to make her ready for the higher level science. :D

Since she has been doing the Extensions for several years along with the history spines in the HOD guide, it would also appear that she would be ready for the World Geography guide in the area of the geography study and the World Religions study. She definitely should be able to handle the reading material. :D

Normally, from what you've shared I would wholeheartedly recommend that she move into the World Geography guide. My one hesitation in recommending this for your daughter is due to the challenge her school day will bring by adding Logic, heavier Bible, and a foreign language in addition to her other subjects (as the World Geography guide will do). :D I agree that she probably will not suddenly grow more scheduled or organized, as this is a skill that comes into its own more fully for some students than for others! :D I just want to be sure that your daughter is prepared for a more rigorous school day. Although, it may not be that much longer than what she has been doing this year (with the Advanced Science, daily English 6, and the Extensions added to Rev2Rev). :wink:

Doing the left side of the MTMM guide with Extensions and the right side of the World Geography guide will likely be very similar time-wise to doing the full World Geography guide. This is because much of the World Geography's time comes from the right side of the guide (as this is where the full credit of Bible, full credit of lit/comp, full credit of science with lab, and half credit of logic are all found). :D However, the rigor of the subjects will increase.

In thinking through what I shared in a different thread for qualifications to move past MTMM and into the World Geography guide, your daughter fits very well. I'll repost that portion of my comments below (from the previous thread) for comparison:
Students would need to be ready to move onto a much higher level of literature study, composition, grammar, Bible, science (with higher more rigorous labs), and three extra electives of coursework (like Logic, World Religions, and foreign language). They will need to have the math required to pursue a higher level of science with lab calculations, and be ready to spend more hours doing school each day. Students will need to be good time managers and have good accountability when working independently. They need to be able to write easily and read very well, as the number of pages and number of readings really jumps up. They will need to be able to get their thoughts on paper in lucid form quite easily and be able to edit their own work readily. If this doesn't describe your student, then one of the other two options that I shared will be a better choice.
So, with this in mind, the last thing to weigh is whether or not it will be harmful to miss the study of the Modern Times as covered in the history part of MTMM. :D This is a tricky question, with different answers for different families. We've established that your daughter is ready academic-wise for the World Geography guide. We've also established the fact that if she were new to HOD, then she would place in the World Geography guide. So, usually in that situation, we advise not looking at other guides and just going with the skill placement. :D

However, there are a couple of exceptions to this "rule". One is when kiddos need a particular type of guide "heart-wise" that may not be the purist fit "academic-wise". For example, I had my oldest son, Cole, do CTC's history (as a 7th grader) and RTR's history (as an 8th grader), even though his skills were beyond the readings and follow-ups in the guide. I just wanted him to have that time to experience the ancients and the reformation in a Christ-centered way, which was a much different approach than he'd had the first trip through these time periods, so this greatly affected my decision. :D I was so glad for those years, as it brought about great changes in him and in his depth of faith.

It is important to keep in mind that your daughter has already had CTC, RTR, and Rev2Rev, and had years of HOD. These are benefits my poor oldest son did not have (as our guides were not written at that time). It is also important to remember that your daughter is headed into high school, which leaves less wiggle room in these areas. So, your situation is not quite the same as mine. :wink: However, my oldest son did go from RTR into the World Geography guide (simply because I had placed him in RTR for history only, because I wanted him to experience that time period through the resources I'd scheduled in that guide, and I just had it written), so it definitely can be done. Long story short, I cannot tell you for sure what the best route is for your daughter. I can clearly say that I think she could handle the jump to the World Geography guide skill-wise. Now, it just becomes a decision of the history plan. :wink: Should you decide to move to the World Geography guide, I will encourage you that your daughter will gain exposure to some of the history from MTMM both in the World History guide and in the American History guides in high school. :D Also, it is good to weigh how she would handle juggling two guides. Since she fits skill-wise in the World Geography guide, unless there are heart issues you wished to address with MTMM, or extenuating outside circumstances, then it may be that just doing the World Geography guide would be best. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:35 pm

Thanks Carrie!

I am still so thankful for the support you give for us and our badgering of questions :oops: . Not many (actually none that I know of) spend the amount of time giving individualized problems/questions. It truly is appreciated, and I hope you know that we do not take it for granted.

I do feel really good about putting dd into the geog. guide. I just can.not get over the fact that we will miss what I know would be a fantastic year in MtMM :roll: . I just need to remember that there will also be a great year in your last guide as well, and since there's no way to squeeze 5 guides into 4 years (not at this level anyway), then I just simply have to go one way or the other :D .

I still don't know 100 percent, but I think I am leaning towards the Geography Guide.
2013-2014 year: